Ugh. It begins. (Advertising on jerseys)

Moose Milligan

I don't fancy myself as a baseball purist.  IMO, the baseball purist types are exhausting.  

But I will say that I think the absolute worst thing to come out of the new CBA is that MLB teams can put ads for companies on their jerseys.  And news just broke that the Padres are the first to do it, inking a deal with Motorola (really, Motorola is still a thing in the Year of our Lord 2022?).

This is, IMO, disgusting.   I think it's terrible that the NBA allowed this a few years ago, probably paving the way for something like this.  Seeing the New Era logo on the side of hats and the Nike swoosh emblazoned on jerseys is bad enough as it is.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/04/19/padres-motorola-sponsor-dodger-stadium-presenting/7369994001/

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I don't fancy myself as a baseball purist.  IMO, the baseball purist types are exhausting.  

But I will say that I think the absolute worst thing to come out of the new CBA is that MLB teams can put ads for companies on their jerseys.  And news just broke that the Padres are the first to do it, inking a deal with Motorola (really, Motorola is still a thing in the Year of our Lord 2022?).

This is, IMO, disgusting.   I think it's terrible that the NBA allowed this a few years ago, probably paving the way for something like this.  Seeing the New Era logo on the side of hats and the Nike swoosh emblazoned on jerseys is bad enough as it is.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/04/19/padres-motorola-sponsor-dodger-stadium-presenting/7369994001/

Hey now, I run a Moto Power.  Nice phone for the price.

Just now, jabba72 said:

Dont like it. I hope this gets bad feedback and is shelved for good. Theres plenty of advertising inside stadiums for them to go this far. 

It absolutely won't get shelved for good.  This is here to stay, unfortunately.  

IMO, the only way it wouldn't get shelved if there's enough backlash for fans not buying jerseys, but even then I'm not sure.  

18 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Motorola has a share of the market based on going after the lower end market. They are big in India and some South American countries. 

Even in the US:

According to Counterpoint’s figures, Motorola saw a staggering 131% year over year growth in 2021. That makes the firm the number two in smartphones below $400 in the U.S. and number three overall. In particular, its sub-$300 phones have gained traction, with Moto nabbing around 10% of the total market.

Don't like advertising on the uniforms, but Under Armour would make sense for the Orioles. 

9 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Motorola has a share of the market based on going after the lower end market. They are big in India and some South American countries. 

Even in the US:

According to Counterpoint’s figures, Motorola saw a staggering 131% year over year growth in 2021. That makes the firm the number two in smartphones below $400 in the U.S. and number three overall. In particular, its sub-$300 phones have gained traction, with Moto nabbing around 10% of the total market.

Don't like advertising on the uniforms, but Under Armour would make sense for the Orioles. 

Under Armour would make sense for the Orioles considering Marylanders think UA is high fashion.  

• Like 1