Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

26 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Personally I don't like the idea of him playing First or Second. He came in as a SS and could play third. First and Second are footwork positions. SS and Third are reaction positions. This obsession with position movement boggles my mind.

1B and 2B are where the need is. Urias is a much better 3B than 2B, and Mountcastle has forgotten how to hit. Urias can move to 2B but then he is no longer an asset defensively.  

I don't know what you mean about SS being reaction. They need to turn the double play any time it is hit to the right side. Plenty of footwork there. 

I am fine with playing him wherever makes the team stronger for now. See how it goes and then come up with a long term plan in '23. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

1B and 2B are where the need is. Urias is a much better 3B than 2B, and Mountcastle has forgotten how to hit. Urias can move to 2B but then he is no longer an asset defensively.  

I don't know what you mean about SS being reaction. They need to turn the double play any time it is hit to the right side. Plenty of footwork there. 

I am fine with playing him wherever makes the team stronger for now. See how it goes and then come up with a long term plan in '23. 

At SS you are almost always moving towards First. Much easier footwork and throw. Try playing second or first. Lots of footwork.

16 hours ago, emmett16 said:

One of Gunnar's least talked about tools is his speed.  Two infield hits tonight. (another 3 hit night) He absolutely flies.  I remember someone posting sprint speeds to 1b that were taken from the futures game and it had him top percentile of MLBers.   Has two stolen bases tonight as well.  

10 for 11 stealing at Norfolk, 12 for 14 at Bowie.

Zero GIDP at Norfolk, 3 at Bowie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Is there any reason why he was named to the taxi squad before being actually promoted? 

My guess was since he played in AAA yesterday, they wanted to be sure he made it to Cleveland in time before activating him. Given they needed to option Nevin and DFA Reyes, they didn't want to do either of those moves until they spoke with the players in person and knew for sure Henderson was there. 

7 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

My guess was since he played in AAA yesterday, they wanted to be sure he made it to Cleveland in time before activating him. Given they needed to option Nevin and DFA Reyes, they didn't want to do either of those moves until they spoke with the players in person and knew for sure Henderson was there. 

Interesting, that's actually really cool if that's the case. Can't be easy for Nevin, he may not get another chance for a long time. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Interesting, that's actually really cool if that's the case. Can't be easy for Nevin, he may not get another chance for a long time. 

Nevin will be with another team next spring.   He will be out of options.   Someone will take a chance on him.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This group of young players are so close knit.  This is going to be one hell of a fun team to watch in the next month and coming years.

Yeah, you get the sense that they all share a sense of purpose in terms of being the group to bring this club to the highest levels.