Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Way back machine…lol. 

Harvey Kuenn.. excellent player, then long time hitting coach in Milwaukee took over in June 1982 when Harry Dalton fired Buck Rodgers as Brewers were 23-24 

Under Kuenn, us long term Os fans who were around then remember the rest.. I was at the third game, not the last one .. lol

Other than his brief stint as interim manager, Kuenn served as Brewers hitting coach from 1971 to 1982

“After going 23-24 under Rodgers, the team suddenly took off and went 20-7 in June, hitting an unbelievable .294 as a team. They also hit 47 home runs in those 27 games and averaged over six and a half runs a game.

Some believed the respect Kuenn had built up among the players over his years as the hitting coach made the players want to play well for him. It is known that Yount had a deep respect for Kuenn. Yount had come to the majors at age 18 and Kuenn was the only major league batting coach he had ever known. In 1982, Yount was named AL MVP after batting .332 and hitting 29 homers.

Whatever the reason, the players responded to Kuenn the way Dalton had hoped they would when he hired him. The Brewers went 72-43 under Kuenn to finish with 95 wins.

However, even with that, the season’s outcome came down to the final series of the season. The Brewers were three games up on the Orioles for the AL East lead with four games to play. Those four games consisted of a four-game weekend series in Baltimore. There was a doubleheader scheduled for Friday and single games on Saturday and Sunday.

Baltimore swept Friday’s doubleheader to move within one game of Milwaukee with two to play. They also won Saturday’s game to move into a tie for first. Therefore, the season came down to one game on Sunday to win the division title. The game featured two future Hall of Fame pitchers going against each other.

Jim Palmer, Baltimore’s perennial Cy Young contender, faced Don Sutton, whom the Brewers had acquired from the Houston Astros in a trade barely a month earlier. On Sunday, Yount hit a pair of homers, and Sutton allowed just two runs over eight innings as the Brewers won the game, and the division, by a score of 10-2.”

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/harvey-kuenn/

Edited by tntoriole

38 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Harvey Kurnn.. excellent player, then long time hitting coach in Milwaukee took over in June 1982 when Harry Dalton fired Buck Rodgers as Brewers were 23-24 

Under Kuenn, us long term Os fans who were around then remember the rest.. I was at the third game, not the last one .. lol

Other than his brief stint as interim manager, Kuenn served as Brewers hitting coach from 1971 to 1982

“After going 23-24 under Rodgers, the team suddenly took off and went 20-7 in June, hitting an unbelievable .294 as a team. They also hit 47 home runs in those 27 games and averaged over six and a half runs a game.

Some believed the respect Kuenn had built up among the players over his years as the hitting coach made the players want to play well for him. It is known that Yount had a deep respect for Kuenn. Yount had come to the majors at age 18 and Kuenn was the only major league batting coach he had ever known. In 1982, Yount was named AL MVP after batting .332 and hitting 29 homers.

Whatever the reason, the players responded to Kuenn the way Dalton had hoped they would when he hired him. The Brewers went 72-43 under Kuenn to finish with 95 wins.

However, even with that, the season’s outcome came down to the final series of the season. The Brewers were three games up on the Orioles for the AL East lead with four games to play. Those four games consisted of a four-game weekend series in Baltimore. There was a doubleheader scheduled for Friday and single games on Saturday and Sunday.

Baltimore swept Friday’s doubleheader to move within one game of Milwaukee with two to play. They also won Saturday’s game to move into a tie for first. Therefore, the season came down to one game on Sunday to win the division title. The game featured two future Hall of Fame pitchers going against each other.

Jim Palmer, Baltimore’s perennial Cy Young contender, faced Don Sutton, whom the Brewers had acquired from the Houston Astros in a trade barely a month earlier. On Sunday, Yount hit a pair of homers, and Sutton allowed just two runs over eight innings as the Brewers won the game, and the division, by a score of 10-2.”

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/harvey-kuenn/

Great! Thanks. Now, how about recently? What ya got?

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Wasn’t Crowley a hitting coach? Most managers served as sone other type of coach before becoming a manager.

Derek Shelton was a hitting coach for Cleveland and Tampa before becoming the skipper for Pittsburg. So, I was wrong. There are several recent examples. 

Mateo’s last 40 games:

.289 /.343 /.562 /.905 OPS

40 games is a quarter of a season, so we’re moving out of SSS territory. At what point should Hyde move him up in the lineup? He’s usually batting 9th, but that’s a waste of this kind of production. And I don’t want to hear about having your second leadoff guy at the bottom of the order. That’s a crock. 

The team needs a kick in the pants right now, and moving Mateo into the #1 or #2 spot in the lineup might just do the trick. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Mateo’s last 40 games:

.289 /.343 /.562 /.905 OPS

40 games is a quarter of a season, so we’re moving out of SSS territory. At what point should Hyde move him up in the lineup? He’s usually batting 9th, but that’s a waste of this kind of production. And I don’t want to hear about having your second leadoff guy at the bottom of the order. That’s a crock. 

The team needs a kick in the pants right now, and moving Mateo into the #1 or #2 spot in the lineup might just do the trick. 

As bullish as I am on Mateo, I would keep him in the 7 hole. My reasoning is the quality of his at bats has improved where he is. The league will adjust and he’ll have to adjust. I’m not sure I want to raise the pressure level on him just yet. I want to continue to see growth in his swing decisions and approach.

That said, if Hyde did move him up as you suggest, I think there are positives in that. He will get pitched to differently. I think there are others having more consistent professional at bats than he is and they are currently in the top of the lineup.

I am concerned about Hays, and I might move him down. Not sure if he is still banged up, or what. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

As bullish as I am on Mateo, I would keep him in the 7 hole. My reasoning is the quality of his at bats has improved where he is. The league will adjust and he’ll have to adjust. I’m not sure I want to raise the pressure level on him just yet. I want to continue to see growth in his swing decisions and approach.

That said, if Hyde did move him up as you suggest, I think there are positives in that. He will get pitched to differently. I think there are others having more consistent professional at bats than he is and they are currently in the top of the lineup.

I am concerned about Hays, and I might move him down. Not sure if he is still banged up, or what. 

If it ain't broke...

• Like 1

I’m still not ready to believe in him but the turn around the last 6 weeks is quite remarkable.  

Kudos to him for working hard and trying to unlock the talent he has always had.

It will be interesting to see how he ends the year and how he adjusts to other teams adjusting to him.