Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Should Mateo be trying to steal 3rd more?  Aren’t the percentages of stealing 3rd better, or is that just announcer talk?  Then the wholes it creates for Mullins. 

Maybe in certain situations, sure. He and Mullins have been thrown out several times lately. Probably a little tired and banged up. Think he needs a day, maybe two, but he’s swinging it well again. He hasn’t played an entire MLB season yet. Hyde does a great job keeping these guys as fresh as he can. 

3 hours ago, ManciniFan said:

Cuban players (and international players in general) frequently develop later but can often become stars when they do. It surprised me when the Padres moved on but as your franchise gets deeper….Something to keep in mind for Diaz. Many have written him off….I wouldn’t.

Yeah, agreed. However, when you are competing and need roster spots for guys who actually help you compete, it’s hard to justify keeping guys who might come around at some point. Especially when they are out of options like Mateo was. (Diaz is out of options in 2024, according to Fangraphs.)

We were very fortunate to be the waiver benefactors. I am still shocked that no one traded for him. They have worked hard with him, but Jorge deserves most of the credit. Just an amazing talent. 

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

They are all looking for the next promotion. This gives them a forum.

I don’t think they would be talking about it if Hyde and Elias were not onboard with it. And how would talking about hitting mechanics in a news article help them get a higher job than a MLB hitting coach? Maybe a bump in pay, but a promotion?

I don’t think this is some kind of classified science. It isn’t the mechanics, or even the drills so much, as it is the ability to communicate. There are a whole mess of guys who know hitting just as well as our coaches and better. What separates them is their ability to digest, diagnose, formulate and communicate. To get these guys to buy in to what they are selling. Jorge is buying in.

It takes time for things to become operational in the subconscious. Not to be an active thought in process. Thinking in the moment makes them slow to respond. But simply reacting in the moment instinctively, that is the sweet spot. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

I don’t think they would be talking about it if Hyde and Elias were not onboard with it. And how would talking about hitting mechanics in a news article help them get a higher job than a MLB hitting coach? Maybe a bump in pay, but a promotion?

I don’t think this is some kind of classified science. It isn’t the mechanics, or even the drills so much, as it is the ability to communicate. There are a whole mess of guys who know hitting just as well as our coaches and better. What separates them is their ability to digest, diagnose, formulate and communicate. To get these guys to buy in to what they are selling. Jorge is buying in.

It takes time for things to become operational in the subconscious. Not to be an active thought in process. Thinking in the moment makes them slow to respond. But simply reacting in the moment instinctively, that is the sweet spot. 

If they are viewed as a guy who can turn a .200 hitter in to a .300 hitter etc. Perhaps someone will value them as a manager or front office exec or something.

3 hours ago, ManciniFan said:

I can’t read it because I’m not paying for The Sun but I’m assuming the title of the article gives away what happened; Mateo met with the batting coaches and they made some adjustments which and now he’s finding success. 

I have always wondered about this, how far away is a .220 hitter from becoming a good hitter? What adjustments can these guys make in order to become successful?  

All of these guys are freak athletes, even the 25th man on the roster, a guy like McKenna. McKenna has elite hand eye coordination. As @DrungoHazewoodlikes to explain, the worst guy in the majors is still in the top 99.9% of baseball players in the world. 

I mean, we saw it with Jose Bautista. He was here, no one paid him any attention. Bounces around, ends up in Toronto where he gets the right coaching and becomes a big time power hitter. 

I would argue that there’s not much from a physical and raw skills perspective separating a guy like Mateo from Bautista.  What if Mateo doesn’t land here and get this coaching? What if he winds up in Detroit or Cleveland or Arizona?  Does he never figure it out there?  What if Bautista never goes to Toronto?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If they are viewed as a guy who can turn a .200 hitter in to a .300 hitter etc. Perhaps someone will value them as a manager or front office exec or something.

I am having trouble thinking of a hitting coach who became a manager. Not saying you are wrong, I just cannot remember one. I don’t think that is a huge thing for a managerial candidate, but maybe I am wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can’t read it because I’m not paying for The Sun but I’m assuming the title of the article gives away what happened; Mateo met with the batting coaches and they made some adjustments which and now he’s finding success. 

I have always wondered about this, how far away is a .220 hitter from becoming a good hitter? What adjustments can these guys make in order to become successful?  

All of these guys are freak athletes, even the 25th man on the roster, a guy like McKenna. McKenna has elite hand eye coordination. As @DrungoHazewoodlikes to explain, the worst guy in the majors is still in the top 99.9% of baseball players in the world. 

I mean, we saw it with Jose Bautista. He was here, no one paid him any attention. Bounces around, ends up in Toronto where he gets the right coaching and becomes a big time power hitter. 

I would argue that there’s not much from a physical and raw skills perspective separating a guy like Mateo from Bautista.  What if Mateo doesn’t land here and get this coaching? What if he winds up in Detroit or Cleveland or Arizona?  Does he never figure it out there?  What if Bautista never goes to Toronto?

The gist of it is he met with Hyde, Ryan Fuller and Matt Borgschulte to find an answer for sliders low and away. They put  him through challenging batting practice sessions mixing sliders with 2 seamers in on his hands. Helped him learn to recognize pitches and adjust his approach. But I think the key was Mateo going to the coaches asking for the help and then diving in to what they offered. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Unfortunately, Mateo had to hit rock bottom before he would change and that's when hitters are more prone to listen to coaches.   I think Mateo knew his starting job and career were in the balance.   This was possibly/probably the best opportunity of his career and he was having AB's where he looked lost.  He couldn't even reach balls on the outside corner.   Now he's getting a cheap hit here and there just by making more contact on those pitches.    Now he has a swing that is professional.   His approach still gets at of whack sometimes but last night was beautiful.   He stayed within himself and didn't try to do too much.    The home runs will come on mistakes and by accident.    I'm not sure he he's more than a .250 hitter but that would be enough.   I do think he's a 20 homer, 40 SB SS who plays excellent defense.   That's something!