The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

If Tex ever wanted to play for the O's then this is his chance. If he chooses another team then i guess he didn't really want to play for the O's. If i had the chance of playing for my hometown team that i love watching when i was a kid and also get paid a lot of money i would. That is me though. This is not a battle between AM and Boras. This is a battle of Heart vs Money. Like Anita Marks said the ball is in Tex's Court. So it's up to him.

Maybe that's why there is no annoucnement yet. Poor Tex can't decide between Heart and Money.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I said this in the previous thread, but Tex to the Nats is a real possibility. Boras is almost always about getting the most money; if the Nats offer the most, then that's where he'll go.

Boras is not Tex, though. Would you let your agent make his/her "best" decision for you? If the Orioles are there in it, Tex should definitely come to Baltimore. At least, I hope.

you're probably right... unless he absolutely destroys spring training pitching (and even maybe if he does) he should probably spend at least the first 2 months at AAA.

There is NO reason to bring him up until after the first few weeks, regardless of what he does in the spring. It will give us an extra year of him under our control if we wait a few weeks. Like the Rays did with Longoria.

My gut tells me AM has simply decided not to play Boras's game. He was determined not to bid against himself from the start. He put a fair initial offer out there and was determined to sit and wait and not to get into a media bidding war. If the price got too high he was simply going to bow out but if it was still in a certain range he has made it known that we will be willing to go higher if he believes Tex has genuine interest in being here.

The positive, as things stand right now is that after a week Tex doesn't seem close to signing. If Boras had gotten the kind of offer he wanted, something real big, things would be moving faster. At this point, I still believe Tex is in our price range and we will take another shot when the AM feels the time is right.

There is NO reason to bring him up until after the first few weeks, regardless of what he does in the spring. It will give us an extra year of him under our control if we wait a few weeks. Like the Rays did with Longoria.

That is a very good point. Especially since Boras is his agent...

Anyone else see a potential red flag here?
"If they came back to us and told us what it would take and we thought that it made sense for us, then yes [the original offer could be altered]," MacPhail said.

Maybe they already came back. Interesting that MacPhail used the past tense, and not the present tense.

I wish they would put the full court press on, take Boras and Mark out and roll the "Orange Carpet" out. Yesterday Roberts said that he hadn't made a call but he'd love for Tex to sign. You know what, make the call then, baseball players are in a fraternity, so show him that you care and want him to play for the O's Roberts.

I know we don't know everything that is going on behind the scenes but I sure wish the players would get involved in the courting process.

Archived