The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard that at the winter meetings Guthrie rented office space, just so he could invite Boras into his office and say "step into my office, because you're !#!$@ fired."

Sorry, that story is completely made up. I may be losing my mind due to this fiasco.

Heard the same story only Guthrie was taking a dump at the time and he called Boras into the bathroom.

I think this is a Jerry MacGuire situation. The new agents probably are paying more attention to Guthrie than Boras did, developing a personal relationship, etc.. As you said, Guthrie is probably down a bit on the Boras totem pole and can't devote as much time to a player like him as a lower profile agency is likely to do.

I read books written by Harlen Coben about a sports agent who also solves crimes and stuff. Pretty good reads. Anyway, he is a "Jerry McGuire" type where he doesn't have many players, but the ones he does have he treats well. If you like mystery books, I highly reccomend him. They're called the Myron Bolitar novels, written by Harlen Coben.

Anywho....

Well, if Tex signs here, people will start loving him, because he'd be the agent of our all-star first baseman, our soon to be all-star catcher, and our ace pitcher. That's some power he'd have on the O's team.

I don't know about that... We'd still hate him knowing that he'll successfully drain the Orioles of additional resources if they want to keep Teix 3 years or so into the contract with the opt out clause. We'd still hate him knowing that we have close to zero chance of signing Wieters to an extension.

This is a preview of what it's going to be like when Wieters hits the market.

Exactly, that's why you don't breaK Spring Training with them as rookies, bring them up later in April. You get an extra year service out of them. Extend contracts earlier in their career. Trade them two years before FA (like Bedard) and restock the farm. It is the only way most of the teams can survive and be successsful.

Exactly, that's why you don't breaK Spring Training with them as rookies, bring them up later in April. You get an extra year service out of them. Extend contracts earlier in their career. Trade them two years before FA (like Bedard) and restock the farm. It is the only way most of the teams can survive and be successsful.

If the Orioles have Wieters start the season in Baltimore, due to this consideration, I think MacPhail should be fired immediately. No way is he that dumb.

Boras clients wait for FA. But then, Wieters picked up the phone one night and told Boras to get it done because he wanted to be signed.

If the Orioles have Wieters start the season in Baltimore, due to this consideration, I think MacPhail should be fired immediately. No way is he that dumb.

We had a big debate about just this during the season when some wanted Matt up this year. There were actually people saying that Matt would sign an extension. What planet do they live on. Maybe a deal 30 % higher than Longoria's deal would get Boris to bite but I doubt it and do you give that to a catcher no matter how good he is?

Projected line-up (note: Order subject to change):

1. B-Rob 2B

2. Adam Jones CF

3. Nick Markakis RF

4. Mark Teixeira 1B

5. Aubrey Huff DH

6. Matt Wieters C

7. Luke Scott LF

8. Melvin Mora 3B

9. Cesar Izturis SS

Tell me that's not disgusting... :D

That's pretty damn good, BUT, do the same with the Sox lineup! :puke:

We had a big debate about just this during the season when some wanted Matt up this year. There were actually people saying that Matt would sign an extension. What planet do they live on. Maybe a deal 30 % higher than Longoria's deal would get Boris to bite but I doubt it and do you give that to a catcher no matter how good he is?

I agree, but I think regardless of the extension, you don't bring him up in April, unless Boras comes to us and say he is willing to sign a cheaper extension if they are willing to bring him up then. I guess we are getting off topic, though.

Archived