Fun article on FredNats announcer Joey Zanaboni

Frobby

Fun article in the Post today about the unconventional style of Frederick Nationals announcer Joey Zanaboni, who was an English major in college.   Here’s a few excerpts:

Zanaboni has a classic radio voice, but there’s nothing traditional about how the 30-year-old describes a game. From his trademark home run call — “Lock it, cock it, rock it, restock it!” — to the colorful similes he peppers throughout every broadcast, often at earsplitting decibel levels, his calls are never boring and are gaining national attention.

- - -

With Zanaboni behind the microphone, slick defense isn’t just clean — it’s “cleaner than a Lysol brand OnlyFans account,” as he described a FredNats double play this month, his latest call to go viral. A strikeout victim is “yanked out of there like a shirtless passenger on a Spirit Airlines flight.” A pitcher is “sharper than a set of cutlery in a limestone quarry.” After Fredericksburg catcher Drew Millas stole home last month, an excited Zanaboni shouted that the play had him “dancin’ like a Spice Girls cover band inside an earthquake simulation.”

- - -

At baseball’s 2018 winter meetings in Las Vegas, Zanaboni showed Colorado Rockies broadcaster Drew Goodman a clip of one of his strikeout calls in which he described a pitcher sitting a hitter down “quicker than extra-strength laxatives.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/05/10/nats-minor-league-broadcaster/

Sounds like a fun guy.

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well,  I understand you are Bi.

Baseball-wise?   Not really.   I tried to glom on to the Nats as my NL team when they moved to DC, but never could get excited about them.  I even had a five-game share of a season ticket for several years, but dropped it 5-6 years ago.    

Orherwise?   I’ll never tell…