That was an interesting series

Frobby

Give the short-handed O’s some credit for battling hard in that Yankees series.   Two one-run losses and a dramatic walk-off win.   Even the 6-2 game was pretty competitive. 

It’s amazing how much better I feel about that series after the win today.  If the O’s had lost that one I would have been pretty down in the dumps.  Now I have more than 24 hours to gloat.   

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Give the short-handed O’s some credit for battling hard in that Yankees series.   Two one-run losses and a dramatic walk-off win.   Even the 6-2 game was pretty competitive. 

It’s amazing how much better I feel about that series after the win today.  If the O’s had lost that one I would have been pretty down in the dumps.  Now I have more than 24 hours to gloat.   

If I tried to gloat to any of the Yankee fans I know they'd tell me to check the standings and get back to them.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If I tried to gloat to any of the Yankee fans I know they'd tell me to check the standings and get back to them.

I just gloat to myself.   I don’t believe in dissing fans of other teams.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

It was interesting. I was in section 12 and some lady came over the PA asking who the craziest fan in section 12 was. I decided I wouldn’t let them down, so I stood up. I turned around and the Oriole Bird was standing there holding chicken tenders and a Capital City gift box. He gave them me. I didn’t even do anything crazy. I think my reputation preceded me. 

They were good chicken tenders and I got 4 bottles of mambo sauce and my face plastered on the Jumbotron. 

Fortune favors the bold.

So does humiliating spectacle.  Glad it worked out for you.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

It was interesting. I was in section 12 and some lady came over the PA asking who the craziest fan in section 12 was. I decided I wouldn’t let them down, so I stood up. I turned around and the Oriole Bird was standing there holding chicken tenders and a Capital City gift box. He gave them me. I didn’t even do anything crazy. I think my reputation preceded me. 

They were good chicken tenders and I got 4 bottles of mambo sauce and my face plastered on the Jumbotron. 

Well, now I know who you are. We grew up in the same town.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

C'mon.  I hope this team wins eventually so I can rub it in the face of Yanks/Sox fans.

Don't become like them. The worst part of the Red Sox finally winning in 2004 is that their fans became a million times worse than the Yankees fans they used to complain about. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

C'mon.  I hope this team wins eventually so I can rub it in the face of Yanks/Sox fans.

I'm content with the knowledge that if the Orioles ever win it'll be truly satisfying and unexpected and joyful in a way that can never happen for fans of teams for whom 92 wins is disappointment.  The Yanks winning the Series is like Jeff Bezos winning the lottery.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Don't become like them. The worst part of the Red Sox finally winning in 2004 is that their fans became a million times worse than the Yankees fans they used to complain about. 

Yea, Sox fans are now Yanks fans with the added annoyance of claiming they deserve it more and have more street cred because their team didn't win the Series for a long time before they became fans.

Sox fan in green 3rd-alternate David Ortiz jersey: "Bro, we were so cursed for like 100 years and it was wicked painful.  Then when I was six they finally won it all and it was like this great weight was lifted, but now we're frickin' awesome and win it all the time.  Suck it!"

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yea, Sox fans are now Yanks fans with the added annoyance of claiming they deserve it more and have more street cred because their team didn't win the Series for a long time before they became fans.

Sox fan in green 3rd-alternate David Ortiz jersey: "Bro, we were so cursed for like 100 years and it was wicked painful.  Then when I was six they finally won it all and it was like this great weight was lifted, but now we're frickin' awesome and win it all the time.  Suck it!"

Red Sox fans remind me of RB Leipzig fans in the Bundesliga. You might well know the story, Drungo, but for anyone who doesn't, in 2009 Red Bull bought RB Leipzig, a floundering team in the fifth league, which is the soccer equivalent of single-A ball, and pumped ridiculous money into the team. In the German football league, the major-league clubs don't own the lower teams or their players, each team is separate. At the end of the year the top 2 or 3 teams in a division move up a level, and the bottom 2 or 3 move down, which makes it pretty interesting. RB Leipzig went from their lowly division, drawing a little over 2,000 fans per game, and within eight years they had made the "majors" and have never had a losing season since their purchase, now drawing about 40,000 fans per game (pre-pandemic). Their fans can be absolutely insufferable because after years of being a joke, they now act entitled (Red Sox style) and are therefore among the most hated fans in football. 

That said, would I mind if Warren Buffett bought the O's and brought them back to greatness simply because he liked the way the World Series rings looked on display in his office? Not really, if he didn't mess with the integrity of the team. Would I then act entitled after so many years of suffering? I sincerely hope not.

• Upvote 1