Friday May 20: Rays come to town

SteveA

Gametime:  7:05 pm

Weather:  84 degrees, muggy, it appears all the bad weather has moved through the area and the night should be fine

Matchup:   Jalen Beeks (L) vs Tyler Wells (R)

Lineups

1. Yandy Diaz (R) 3B
2. Wander Franco (S) SS
3. Harold Ramirez (R) DH
4. Ji-Man Choi (L) 1B
5. Randy Arozarena (R) LF
6. Kevin Kiermaier (L) CF
7. Isaac Paredes (R) 2B
8. Mike Zunino (R) C
9. Brett Phillips (L) RF

1. Cedric Mullins (L) CF
2. Austin Hays (R) LF
3. Trey Mancini (R) DH
4. Anthony Santander (S) RF
5. Jorge Mateo (R) SS
6. Tyler Nevin (R) 1B
7. Ramon Urias (R) 3B
8. Robinson Chirinos (R) C
9. Chris Owings (R) 2B

Orioles Bench
Anthony Bemboom (L)
Ryan McKenna (L)
Rougned Odor (L)

Bullpen Availability / Last pitched

Available
Keegan Akin (L)  3.2 IP, 58p Monday
Logan Gillaspie 2.0 IP, 29p Tuesday
Cionel Perez (L)  0.1 IP, 7p Wednesday;  0.1 IP, 6p Tuesday
Dillon Tate 1.0 IP, 10p yesterday;  1.2 IP, 28p Tuesday 

Nick Vespi (L)  1.0 IP, 11p Saturday

Probably  Available
Joey Krehbiel  0.2 IP, 16p yesterday;  1.0 IP, 9p Tuesday 

Maybe Available
Bryan Baker 1.0 IP, 22p yesterday
Felix Bautista  0.1 IP, 8p yesterday;  0.1 IP, 11p Wednesday;  1.0 IP, 20p Monday

Not Available
Jorge Lopez 1.0 IP, 33p yesterday;  1.0 IP, 15p Wednesday

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh no, what would the 2020-2022 Orioles have done with that kinda of production out of the Catcher position?

Would have sabotaged their playoff runs!

I mean, they could have brought him up and groomed him for The Yankees to enjoy.  Sure.  

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

I mean, they could have brought him up and groomed him for The Yankees to enjoy.  Sure.  

I had NO IDEA the O's were playing the Yankees again so soon?

Why did I think he played for the Rays?

Oh well one big market team is much like another.  I often confuse the Yanks and the Rays when it comes to payroll.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I had NO IDEA the O's were playing the Yankees again so soon?

Why did I think he played for the Rays?

Oh well one big market team is much like another.  I often confuse the Yanks and the Rays when it comes to payroll.

Seems we may be talking past each other….So the be clear, your stance is that Adley should have been brought up in 2020 and should be currently playing his 3rd pre-arb season this year?   

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Seems we may be talking past each other….So the be clear, your stance is that Adley should have been brought up in 2020 and should be currently playing his 3rd pre-arb season this year?   

Do we live in a world in which the competitive integrity of watching the world's best baseball players practice their craft, or maximizing the surplus value siloed to years one of the laundry colors has non-zero playoff odds is more important?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He should be playing under a long term contract he signed in 2021.

I do not think he had to be developed in the minors.  I think the O's have been actively gaming his service time and potentially heavily impacting his career.

I am sick and tired of this "Yankees sign everyone" nonsense.  That doesn't happen anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He should be playing under a long term contract he signed in 2021.

I do not think he had to be developed in the minors.  I think the O's have been actively gaming his service time and potentially heavily impacting his career.

I am sick and tired of this "Yankees sign everyone" nonsense.  That doesn't happen 

Gotcha.  I my hypothetical world, I guess Adley comes up this year (after 3 years in minors) and posts his first of seven 5 WAR season.  

I think it’s consensus that Os don’t typically extend players, so not sure why you went there.  Also think it’s not typical that catchers get extended. 

The Yankees (insert any other big market team name)get their man.  Don’t kid yourself.  

FWIW I agree they are gaming his service time, messing with his career, and creating bad mojo for future negotiations and for future players.  

I also think it is selfishly the best thing for the organization to do right now.  

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Gotcha.  I my hypothetical world, I guess Adley comes up this year (after 3 years in minors) and posts his first of seven 5 WAR season.  

I think it’s consensus that Os don’t typically extend players, so not sure why you went there.  Also think it’s not typical that catchers get extended. 

The Yankees (insert any other big market team name)get their man.  Don’t kid yourself.  

FWIW I agree they are gaming his service time, messing with his career, and creating bad mojo for future negotiations and for future players.  

I also think it is selfishly the best thing for the organization to do right now.  

You think he puts up a 5 win season and doesn't finish in the top 2 in the ROY voting?

Or is the seventh season in a row with a big market team like the Rays?