Adley is in the Show!

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, Malike said:

I hope Adley gets the rest of the season as the starting catcher. His bat will come around and he's got a great eye. His defense has been shaky I think. Watching balls bounce off his glove over and over again reminds me of Gary Sanchez, and I know that's an over-reaction, it's just my personal opinion and not based on anything scientific. Hopefully, the  balls bouncing off of his glove and him throwing the ball into center field when players try to steal is just nerves. :)

He does have a fantastic eye.  I love how many pitches he's seeing per at bat.

12 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Rutsch Roh...3 strikeouts tonight.  Now hitting .149.  We can never have nice things.   

We all wanted to see him come up and hit right away.  And I think we all have some Wieters PTSD so we're a bit on edge about not seeing immediate results.  

I'm still taking comfort in the fact that he's got the most professional at bats out of anyone on the team, and it's not even particularly close.  He's hit some hard balls lately, right at some defenders.  Sure, there's some swing and miss but I expect he'll pick it up and get on the right track here in a week or so.

• Upvote 4

Come on folks, this was inevitable.  Get some thicker skin, the kid will be just fine.  He does look a little down on himself, Haven’t seen that before.  It’s a big adjustment - he has the tools to make that adjustment.  Don’t think he’s ever seen a 101 mph cutter before. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I wish Adley's swing wasn't such an uppercut.  Did he have that swing when he was drafted or is that an Orioles taught thing?  It will result in plenty of HR, but also tons of K's.  Is 40 HR worth 200 K's?  Probably in today's game.

He's always had that, IIRC.

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He does have a fantastic eye.  I love how many pitches he's seeing per at bat.

We all wanted to see him come up and hit right away.  And I think we all have some Wieters PTSD so we're a bit on edge about not seeing immediate results.  

I'm still taking comfort in the fact that he's got the most professional at bats out of anyone on the team, and it's not even particularly close.  He's hit some hard balls lately, right at some defenders.  Sure, there's some swing and miss but I expect he'll pick it up and get on the right track here in a week or so.

Nick Markakis usually had quality at bats started out slow his rookie season. Markakis was hitting in the low .220's until late June before finishing his rookie season with a .291 average.

I agree that Rutschman will be fine and we just need to be patient. Even good hitter will have a slump that stretches out a couple weeks or even a month. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Nick Markakis usually had quality at bats started out slow his rookie season. Markakis was hitting in the low .220's until late June before finishing his rookie season with a .291 average.

I agree that Rutschman will be fine and we just need to be patient. Even good hitter will have a slump that stretches out a couple weeks or even a month. 

And only .184 through his first 26 games / 84 plate appearances. Then he struggled up and down around the Mendoza line for the next 6 games before finally staying firmly above it.

• Upvote 1

Every MLB rookie must actually prove themselves.  No matter the hype or no matter the track record, each player must do it or ultimately fail.  A lot of the game is psychologically demanding particularly for a kid with the weight of expectations he has had. I hope Adley does well but he hasn’t yet. 

I am shocked that the extra time investment trying to ensure he is ready to stay up when he comes up has not kept 7-for-47 at bay.

How could the Charlotte Knights not have enabled his life mastery of the game of baseball to extend to coping with Emmanuel Clase's pitches?

• Haha 1

Baseball 2022, Adley's last at bat Thursday, line drive headed for rightfield corner, last night, second at bat, ball headed for leftfield corner, both balls caught. Couple of years ago both would have been doubles, just keep hitting ball hard, they will fall.

I think the gap in talent between MLB and AAA may be unusually high right now.  Look at how well Kelvin Gutierrez and Tyler Nevin are hitting at Norfolk, for example--and they couldn't cut it in Baltimore.  If Stowers comes up later this season he will probably struggle to hit .200.   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I think the gap in talent between MLB and AAA may be unusually high right now.  Look at how well Kelvin Gutierrez and Tyler Nevin are hitting at Norfolk, for example--and they couldn't cut it in Baltimore.  If Stowers comes up later this season he will probably struggle to hit .200.   

Also see Ryan McKenna his OPS the last two years at Norfolk is 1.106 in 2021 and .888 this season in 38 at bats.