JJ Hardy

WarehouseChatter

The acquisition of Hardy in late 2010 didn’t feel like a big deal at the time, but he was pivotal to the 2012 and 2014 playoff teams.  I think there are similar acquisitions we could make now that aren’t flashy but could pay off down the road.  Maybe it’s a guy like Dansby Swanson who just falls out of favor in Atlanta.  

Who are the guys you would want that aren’t “superstar caliber” but could be key pieces the next few years and what would you give up for them.

• Upvote 1

Hardy really had some mediocre to bad offensive seasons here.  But the defense was really good.

Heading into the year he was traded to the Os, he was coming off a 75 and 96 OPS+ and didn’t play in more than 115 games.(only 101 games the year before we acquired him)

This is the parallel I have drawn to DeJong.

DeJong’s last 2 years have produced an OPS+ of 87 and 85.  He is the same age now as when we acquired JJ.  DeJong may actually be a better defender and may have more upside with the bat.  He is also signed relatively cheaply.

I’m not saying he’s a must guy and maybe he’s done as an effective player.  His OPS is sub 500 this year and he was sent down to the minors.  But he’s owed 9M in 2023 and the remaining of the 6M for this year.  St Louis doesn’t need him anymore and likely would love to dump whatever salary they can.  See if you can get them to pay half the contract, send them a few non prospects (ala the Hardy deal) and see if you get lucky.  Worst case you get nothing out of him and lose a little money but the team has plenty of money to spend and can take a chance on a deal like this.

Up the middle: Wieters, Hardy, Jones. This was really what made those teams good, in addition of course to a stellar back end of the bullpen and good-enough SP. 

We're pretty close to that same set-up right now. Adley, ???, Mullins/Hays. Bullpen coming along. SP coming along. We really need that dual threat SS locking things down. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, interloper said:

Up the middle: Wieters, Hardy, Jones. This was really what made those teams good, in addition of course to a stellar back end of the bullpen and good-enough SP. 

Uh….Manny?   Those teams had a lot of good players, and not many gaping holes.   Certainly the defense up the middle was very good.   I remember that was what Duquette said he liked about the team, immediately after he got hired.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Uh….Manny?   Those teams had a lot of good players, and not many gaping holes.   Certainly the defense up the middle was very good.   I remember that was what Duquette said he liked about the team, immediately after he got hired.  

For sure Manny. I was referencing the Buck quote about having a strong "up the middle" with C, SS, and CF. 

It's fun to dream on Henderson being our next Manny: a highly-touted 3B who comes up at a younger-than-expected age. It's a fun parallel, along with the Adley-Wieters parallel of highly-touted switch-hitting catcher. Bradish parallels Tillman a little - a solid RH SP with an over-the-top delivery acquired through trade. Even looks a little like him. 

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Hardy really had some mediocre to bad offensive seasons here.  But the defense was really good.

Heading into the year he was traded to the Os, he was coming off a 75 and 96 OPS+ and didn’t play in more than 115 games.(only 101 games the year before we acquired him)

This is the parallel I have drawn to DeJong.

DeJong’s last 2 years have produced an OPS+ of 87 and 85.  He is the same age now as when we acquired JJ.  DeJong may actually be a better defender and may have more upside with the bat.  He is also signed relatively cheaply.

I’m not saying he’s a must guy and maybe he’s done as an effective player.  His OPS is sub 500 this year and he was sent down to the minors.  But he’s owed 9M in 2023 and the remaining of the 6M for this year.  St Louis doesn’t need him anymore and likely would love to dump whatever salary they can.  See if you can get them to pay half the contract, send them a few non prospects (ala the Hardy deal) and see if you get lucky.  Worst case you get nothing out of him and lose a little money but the team has plenty of money to spend and can take a chance on a deal like this.

LOL when this thread first popped up, I said to myself @Sports Guyis definitely about to suggest DeJong. 

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Wow, in hindsight the O's sure did fleece the Twins in that deal. I would just look up and down the rosters of the Mariners and Rockies. Maybe JP Crawford?

I believe they just extended him.  Possible they deal him but I tend to doubt it.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I believe they just extended him.  Possible they deal him but I tend to doubt it.

A very team-friendly extension and he’s becoming a star.  The return would have to be massive on the minuscule chance that they even entertain an offer.