06/01/22 Roster Moves: Denyi Reyes called up and Lowther back to Norfolk

OsFanSinceThe80s

Just now, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I figured they would DFA Lowther now, surprising. Still recalling him at all was a head scratcher. 

No reason to DFA unless you are ready to bring someone new off the 40 man. Even if Grayson makes his next start for the O's that's not for a few days. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

No reason to DFA unless you are ready to bring someone new off the 40 man. Even if Grayson makes his next start for the O's that's not for a few days. 

Elias won't make any 40 man roster moves until it's absolutely necessary even if it's just a couple days from now. I'd still get rid of Owings first before Lowther. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Elias won't make any 40 man roster moves until it's absolutely necessary even if it's just a couple days from now. I'd still get rid of Owings first before Lowther. 

Because it appears that the front office and Hyde believes Owings fills a role (being able to back up 2B/3B/SS) on the major league roster, I doubt he is first on the chopping block when a 40 man roster spot is needed.   Also given that in a few weeks, unless they move the deadline again, we will have to be adding a position player to our major league roster at the expense of a pitcher.

Lowther is probably a head of him, and Baker may be gaining ground.   Reyes, Sedlock, and Beau Sulser might be the next guys on the list.

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

Is it the versatility in making outs that makes Hyde and Elias love him?  😟

I think its about how Elias configures a team.  He seems to not think every player has to have an 800 OPS.   Especially bench players.  They need to play defense and rest the regulars. 

I am not saying that Elias would not like to have hitters on the bench but at this point he doesn't have enough of them to do that.  Defense that helps his pitching staff appears to be a priority to him.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'll give Owings credit he's equally bad at all positions you play him at and he makes want Pat Valaika back on the team as the utility player.  

Andrew Velazquez has started 40 games at SS for the contending Angels this year.   How did we ever let that guy get away?

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Because it appears that the front office and Hyde believes Owings fills a role (being able to back up 2B/3B/SS) on the major league roster, I doubt he is first on the chopping block when a 40 man roster spot is needed.   Also given that in a few weeks, unless they move the deadline again, we will have to be adding a position player to our major league roster at the expense of a pitcher.

Lowther is probably a head of him, and Baker may be gaining ground.   Reyes, Sedlock, and Beau Sulser might be the next guys on the list.

Bannon? Lakins? Vallimont?