Garceau vs Newman

Sports Guy

They're both below sub-par. Neither would likely be a part of a broadcast team for any ML team. To me Newman is trying too hard, searching for her own style but overdoing it almost all the time. I want her to succeed but she needs a lot of refinement. 

I miss Mel Proctor and John Lowenstein. 

5 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

They're both below sub-par. Neither would likely be a part of a broadcast team for any ML team. To me Newman is trying too hard, searching for her own style but overdoing it almost all the time. I want her to succeed but she needs a lot of refinement. 

I miss Mel Proctor and John Lowenstein. 

Those guys were great.   The Home Team Sports era was great for Orioles TV, IMO.   Flannie was one there some as a color commentator too.  I think that HTS had better camerawork than MASN does too (yes, it wasn't in HD, but nothing was back then so we didn't know any better)

Newman had the bizarre Apple TV game but I thought she was passable but unexciting with Palmer. Not unlike a Garceau, but with room for improvement given her age and experience level.

The Apple TV game wasn't helped by Cliff Floyd providing nothing of substance in the few times that he did get his voice in.

13 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Newman had the bizarre Apple TV game but I thought she was passable but unexciting with Palmer. Not unlike a Garceau, but with room for improvement given her age and experience level.

The Apple TV game wasn't helped by Cliff Floyd providing nothing of substance in the few times that he did get his voice in.

Starting calling minor league baseball in 2014.

16 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Oh my, Cliff Floyd was soooooo boring. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Depends on the medium.   Newman is very poor at describing anything unusual that happens, whereas Garceau is poor at conveying any excitement about the game.   On radio, I’d rather have an announcer who gives me a decent picture of what’s going on, even if it’s not very energetic.  On TV, I can see what’s going on so I prefer someone who coneys that the game is interesting.   Melanie has gotten better doing color and I probably prefer her to Garceau in that role on the radio.   

Typically agree on Garceau’s lack of enthusiasm but he has been on top of it tonight.

Without any objective analysis at all and purely on subjective response, Melanie's voice/personality turns my stomach. As for Palmer, he's the best in the biz. But she's so bad that if that's the pairing, I have to shut the audio off. 

• Like 1

I've only heard Newman in minutes-long segments on an often enough basis since the Adley callup to start forming an impression.

So far the main one has been an appreciation of her advocacy of Bull Durham for best baseball movie (correct viewpoint) and readiness to Go To movie quotes often.    Last night Bradish working with Chirinos got "don't think, just throw".

Reading youse all here I get the stuff about monotone and fluency describing action.    It could be worse.    

Even reconnecting with day to day broadcasts in time of Adley, it's a lot of fast forwarding through DVR and not many minutes of live watching.     I have mostly been hiding from the live action after Owings dropped an inning-opening pop-up for burnt out Jordan Lyles still in batting practice mode.

• Upvote 1

It's a shame with Garceau. He is a Baltimore sports media icon and I hate seeing him end an otherwise incredible career this way. The play-by-play is just not there anymore. Newman is equally terrible on PBP....however, I can tolerate her on color and think she is pretty savvy and knowledgeable in that part of the broadcast.

I liked Melanie’s story about how Hays decided to use ash wood bats instead of maple.   Basically, he borrowed one from a teammate back in 2017 and won the MiL player of the week the next week!   I think she said he won it two weeks in a row, but I might have misunderstood her.  Anyway, it showed she had done her homework.  And, she went on to explain how ash bats start off soft and become harder and have to be conditioned.  That was interesting stuff.   

• Upvote 2

I usually listen to the radio for my games. I'm not sure how they sound on TV, but the radio broadcast sounds like amateur hour at the local rec league. It's a shame when you think about some of the voices for radio and TV that we've been fortunate to hear.