Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

1 minute ago, gold21030 said:

Baltimore has plenty of safe and nice areas. Fed Hill, Fells, Canton, Locus Point, Mount Vernon, etc.

The city does have an optics problem for sure and the Inner Harbor needs redevelopment badly. Not a whole lot of big tourist areas outside of the Aquarium. If they could redevelop Howard Street and Lexington Market correctly that would be a big first step in getting people from the suburbs back into the city, I think.

Bro, the city is dead.  It ain't coming back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Well we haven't heard John Angelos' side of this yet. We know he has interests elsewhere and the Orioles have not spent much outside of Jordan Lyles, the DR facility, and all of their Amateur draft funds.

According to the lawsuit, John nixed the sale of the team, so if he really just wanted an out and cash in that would have been a good opportunity. 

As for how the team has been rebuilt, I'm not saying Elias has been right how he's done the rebuild, but I don't necessarily know if he would have done things differently if he more cash on hand. He seemed to be all in on the Houston model of breaking it all down, collecting good draft picks, then rebuilding. 

It's taken him a lot longer already to get the team back to decent shape and his 1st round picks have not exactly shown to be amazing at the major league league level yet despite drafting college heavy.

I'm not saying your wrong here, just saying that I don't have enough information to draw firm conclusions.

It's more likely Elias got the job because of the way he wanted to rebuild it in the first place rather than him getting the job and having to rebuild this way. 

37 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That makes sense.  So the trust would own the O's.  If one of the sons wanted to buy the rest of the O's.  They would not only have to buy out the other owners shares but pay inheritance taxes.  Seems unlikely from what we know of the sons' finances.

I will take a stab at this and there are posters on the OH that know more than I do, so they can correct me.

If Peter left everything to his wife without a Trust there would be no inheritance tax because of the husband wife relationship.  The inheritance tax would happen when she passes.

But that does not  appear to be happening here.  The ownership has probably already passed to the Trust.   When Peter passes there would be no inheritance tax because he no longer owns of the team or the other assets.  The  terms of the Trust determine who has control of the team with rights to manage, sell,  distribute the businesses and assets including the Orioles and probably MASN.  

Also in the terms of the Trust are who has to agree on what happens to the Trust. If one of the principals has rights to assets and wants to sell their portion that could trigger taxes.  But in order to know what would happen we have to know the terms of the Trust.  

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Sturgill Simpson disagrees.

Huh?

Let's say this one guy, this Sturgill, is a great songwriter, a Nelson, a Cohen, Brel, a Dylan.

How would the existence of this one man invalidate the concept that "sucky songwriting is the standard"?

That fancy like applebees song exists.

• Upvote 2

You clearly have to been to Nashville or spent much time in Baltimore of late. Two totally different cities going in opposite directions. 

Yea, I haven't been to Nashville since the 1998 Music City Bowl.  It was... fine.  It snowed most of the game, but Tech beat Alabama so all was good.

• Upvote 1

But either way, I really don't think MLB is going to allow the franchise to move and especially if it is by anyone named Angelos.

That's a very good point.  MLB won't let Baltimore have a scheduled All Star game, presumably out of Angelos spite.  You think they're going to let an Angelos take the team and let OPACY sit vacant?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?

Let's say this one guy, this Sturgill, is a great songwriter, a Nelson, a Cohen, Brel, a Dylan.

How would the existence of this one man invalidate the concept that "sucky songwriting is the standard"?

That fancy like applebees song exists.

Interesting, that Cohen originally wanted to go to Nashville but made it as far south as the NY Folk scene.  And by Nelson, I assume you mean Willie?

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Probably  not, for several reasons.

But there's a man who can lead a first class organization.

Certainly not disparaging Mr. Bisciotti, as his record speaks for itself and he should be congratulated as such.

But it's clearly apples & oranges comparing MLB to the NFL.