Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Man I just had CivPro flashbacks.  What would that injunction even stop from happening.  If it froze Johns control over team decisions it would even further restrict the Orioles to operate in a sport that has multiple decision points for ownership per year.  You would think MLB might step in somehow if that happened. 

This lawsuit screams like its looking for a settlement.  It looks like John wrested control of the team and then also went after the assets of the law firm.  I could easily see where a settlement was reached to provide Louis the law firm assets and some amount of non-controlling equity in the team.

The unfortunate side effect of this whole thing of course is there is no way Baltimore is getting an allstar game, or even consideration, with an ownership fight going on.

Speaking as a member of a successful law firm, I can tell you that law firms are way more fragile enterprises than professional sports teams.   Law firms have no geographic monopoly.   A couple of key clients leave a law firm, or a couple of key people leave, retire, or die, and the whole enterprise can go down the drain pretty quickly.   There have been quite a few once-prominent law firms that have dissolved or shrunk radically during the last decade or two.  With Peter no longer able to practice law or even be the public face of his law firm, you really have to wonder whether the Law Offices of Peter Angelos will hold together.   Even if they do, there’s no reason for the top lawyers in that firm to allow Lou Angelos to rake off large profits for himself beyond whatever he actually contributes to the firm via bringing in clients or working on cases.   So to me the law firm probably isn’t worth a whole lot.   

• Upvote 2

Manfred stated in a news conference that the A's and Rays are going to need new stadium deals.  He emphasized that the Rays needed their situation resolved now.  Well for those fans fearing (or in some cases hoping) the O's get relocated, the O's would have to be at least 3rd in line to relocate.  Manfred is strongly giving the impression that relocation would be on the table for the A's and Rays.  I can't see much ownership opposition as these owners will think if the A's and Rays relocation to favorable locations that will be less money out of our pockets for revenue sharing.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34101965/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-says-tampa-bay-rays-oakland-need-new-ballpark-deals-soon

I think this is as much as we'll hear Elias say, in fresh Roch post-combine post.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/elias-on-draft-pitching-prospects-harvey-and-lawsuit

“I obviously can’t talk a lot about a legal situation, but I think I’ve been very consistent about the stuff that I’ve said since being hired in 2018, dating back to that press conference. The support and relationship that the baseball ops department has had with the ownership group, and John leading the team and leading the ownership group, has been phenomenal. It's been nothing but constructive and it will continue to be so, and we’re set up with a very talented and stable management team, both in terms of the baseball ops department and the business side.

“John’s added a lot of depth to the organization. We’ve had to make a lot of tough changes and necessary changes to the way that the Orioles have done business, and it’s been a difficult few years and it’s been a difficult process. I continue to have nothing but good things to say about the way he’s been running the company since taking the helm. I’ve got very high standards in this regard, having worked for the Cardinals with Bill DeWitt, and Jim Crane with the Astros, and when I came here I had other options, and John was a big part of why I came.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Checked in on this case today.  John and Georgia filed an unopposed motion for an extension of time to respond to the complaint, which was granted.  No response due until August 22.

There’s also a second case pending titled In the Matter of Peter G. Angelos Revocable Trust, in which Lou is seeking removal of the Trustees and an accounting.   The judge issued an order asking the defendants to respond in 20 days.   An unopposed motion for extension of time has been filed there too, but does not appear to have been acted upon yet.  Interestingly, John and Georgia have each hired a DC law firm to represent them, rather than going local.   Each of them has their own separate counsel.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Checked in on this case today.  John and Georgia filed an unopposed motion for an extension of time to respond to the complaint, which was granted.  No response due until August 22.

There’s also a second case pending titled In the Matter of Peter G. Angelos Revocable Trust, in which Lou is seeking removal of the Trustees and an accounting.   The judge issued an order asking the defendants to respond in 20 days.   An unopposed motion for extension of time has been filed there too, but does not appear to have been acted upon yet.  Interestingly, John and Georgia have each hired a DC law firm to represent them, rather than going local.   Each of them has their own separate counsel.  

LA.

The high-stakes battle over control of the Orioles and other assets of Peter Angelos has drawn big legal guns into the fray.

Los Angeles-based attorneys whose resumes include a battle over the estate of Michael Jackson, intrafamily fights over sports franchises and a multimillion-dollar award against O.J. Simpson have registered to represent Angelos’ wife, Georgia, and his son, John, in a lawsuit filed by his younger son, Louis.

Veterans of legal battles over Michael Jackson estate and against O.J. Simpson jump into Angelos fray – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/bs-md-prominent-lawyers-angelos-20220628-tobs5ev2hbhtfabyyw3rkdrtxm-story.html

• Thanks 1

Among those receiving permission on Tuesday to represent John Angelos is Daniel M. Petrocelli, perhaps best known for obtaining a $33.5 million award in a civil suit against O.J. Simpson for the deaths of the former football star’s ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ronald Goldman.

Lawyers who practice elsewhere are required to apply for special, limited admission to the state bar to represent a client in a Maryland case.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure that them spending for big name representation won't impact spending on the team.

Even a team of big name litigators shouldn’t cost as much as, say, Jordan Lyles for a case like this.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Among those receiving permission on Tuesday to represent John Angelos is Daniel M. Petrocelli, perhaps best known for obtaining a $33.5 million award in a civil suit against O.J. Simpson for the deaths of the former football star’s ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ronald Goldman.

Lawyers who practice elsewhere are required to apply for special, limited admission to the state bar to represent a client in a Maryland case.

I always thought Maryland was in the group of law license reciprocity states, but apparently not. California isn’t either. 

11 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I always thought Maryland was in the group of law license reciprocity states, but apparently not. California isn’t either. 

Where a lawyer is a member of the bar in another state, there is a different process for getting admitted to appear in a single case, vs. getting admitted to practice generally within the jurisdiction.   The former is very simple and quick; the latter has a significant fee attached, requires a lot of paperwork and can take a long time, even in states that have reciprocity.   In DC it often takes more than a year for members of another bar to get admitted in DC, even though DC had reciprocity with most other states.   

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure I've seen Law Firm commercials promising you don't pay unless we win, but not sure whether that kind of contingency might apply at these heights.    If Lou really is alienated from much of the family fortune, kind of imagine those clamoring to represent him here might be open to that kind of structure...

Significant chunks of Peter's fortune were realized as percentages of the asbestos settlements, right?

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen Law Firm commercials promising you don't pay unless we win, but not sure whether that kind of contingency might apply at these heights.    If Lou really is alienated from much of the family fortune, kind of imagine those clamoring to represent him here might be open to that kind of structure...

Significant chunks of Peter's fortune were realized as percentages of the asbestos settlements, right?

Business disputes like this are rarely handled on contingency.   For one thing, a lot of the relief Lou is seeking is non-monetary.   

• Thanks 1