Winter 2022 40-Man Additions

luismatos4prez

34 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Ortiz can play a major league SS, and has experience at 2b and SS.  If he hits at all this year at double-A he'll be taken...because you can easily put him on your bench as a utility player and have him contribute defensive value 

I don't think anybody is taking Ortiz in the Rule V.  He would likely struggle to put up a .500 OPS in the majors next year, I would protect some of the potential relief contributors over him. 

42 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Ortiz can play a major league SS, and has experience at 2b and SS.  If he hits at all this year at double-A he'll be taken...because you can easily put him on your bench as a utility player and have him contribute defensive value 

Well he’s yet to hit for any extended period as a professional. He’s closer to becoming a non-prospect than a big leaguer. 

I disagree that he’s in any danger of being taken in the Rule V. His bat will really have to start to get going. 

23 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I like Handley, too. But a catcher hasn't been chosen in the Rule 5 Draft since 2016 and it seems unlikely a catcher who has never even caught at AAA would be chosen.

My understanding of the Rule 5 draft is an MLB team can take anyone not already on a MLB 40 man roster as long as that club has not filled out their 40 man roster.  But the AAA version of the draft is the same.  They can take anyone that is not on a 40 man MLB or 38 man AAA roster as long as they have less than 38 on their roster.  And in only costs about $25K vs. $100K to get them.  So Handley likely will wind up on AAA before the Rule 5.  Cumberland is 27 and Roberts just turned 26.  Handley just turned 24.   

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

Others to consider.

Any college player drafted by Elias in 2019 is eligible for the draft.

Lefty Shayne Fontana   LF  294/444/471/915 at Bowie

Connor Gillispie   SP/RP   4-1,  2.65 ERA,  1.08 WHIP, 51 IP, 63K for Ironbirds.  He will probably be promote to AA soon.

Houston Roth  SP    4-1   3.69 ERA,  1.19 WHIP, 53.2 IP,  55K for the Ironbirds.  He will probably be promoted to the Baysox soon.

Morgan McSweeney  RP    3.86 ERA 18.2 IP 23 K at Bowie just promoted to AAA.

McSweeney is one to watch. Fangraphs liked him in their preseason prospect list. Apparently has a very good slider. I’m not saying he’s a lock, but should be a bubble guy for now. 

It’s still early yet, but the OP is a pretty good list.

No Doubt:

1. Grayson Rodriguez

2. Kyle Stowers

3. Drew Rom

Bubble:

4. Noah Denoyer (probable)

5. Morgan McSweeney (probable)

6. Joey Ortiz (probable)

7. Maverick Handley (probable)

8. Ignacio Feliz

9. Zach Peek

10. Rob Neustrom

Denoyer is coming on, and so is McSweeney. Neither is a lock, and a lot can happen in the second half. Feliz is a guy who seems nasty, but I don’t think the command is there. 

I’m not sure how Ortiz’ shoulder surgery affected him this season, but it may have hampered his off season prep. I think he will hit enough, and I will not bet against him. The Orioles REALLY like him. Urias, Odor and Arauz are probably not long for Baltimore. 

Mav Handley is a guy that may just hit enough to stick as a back up. Very cerebral and a double plus defender and receiver. I am aware that catchers have not been taken often, but this one is different, I believe. If the Orioles keep two catchers on the 40 man, who is better suited than Mav? Nottingham? IDK, perhaps they sign another veteran catcher to back up Adley. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2022 at 7:06 PM, CHIP said:

My understanding of the Rule 5 draft is an MLB team can take anyone not already on a MLB 40 man roster as long as that club has not filled out their 40 man roster.  But the AAA version of the draft is the same.  They can take anyone that is not on a 40 man MLB or 38 man AAA roster as long as they have less than 38 on their roster.  And in only costs about $25K vs. $100K to get them.  So Handley likely will wind up on AAA before the Rule 5.  Cumberland is 27 and Roberts just turned 26.  Handley just turned 24.   

I have a question about the Rule 5. I understand the MLB Rule 5, but the minor league, not so much. Does AAA's 38-man roster include those on the MLB 40-man roster? I was under the impression AAA could only have 28 active players, which did not include the 40-man roster people. I'm a little confused on this point.

1 hour ago, JustLearning said:

I have a question about the Rule 5. I understand the MLB Rule 5, but the minor league, not so much. Does AAA's 38-man roster include those on the MLB 40-man roster? I was under the impression AAA could only have 28 active players, which did not include the 40-man roster people. I'm a little confused on this point.

AAA has 28 active players during the season, it expands to hold 38 players in the off-season. MLB 40-man roster players do not count on that 38-man roster. Players have to be added to the AAA roster to be protected if they are minor-league Rule 5 eligible, but that doesn't mean they have to play at AAA in the prior (or coming) season necessarily. Any team that has a full 38-man AAA roster cannot make a selection in the draft, but any team that has open slots on their AAA roster can make picks until they fill it, if they choose to, from eligible minor league players not protected. 

• Thanks 3

July thoughts:

No-brainers

1. Grayson Rodriguez

2. Kyle Stowers

3. Drew Rom

On the Bubble

4. Noah Denoyer

5. Ignacio Feliz

6. Joey Ortiz

7. Zach Peek

Probably Out

8. Maverick Handley

9. Adam Hall

10. Cameron Bishop

Another horrible week at the plate for Ortiz. .204/.239/.287 in June.

I like Handley as much as all of you, but I still can't imagine him being protected or selected.

Demoted a bunch of Probably Outs (Neustrom, Grenier, etc.) to Definitely Out.

Rom is a no-brainer at this point, I forgot he's still only 22 while having a strong year at Bowie.

Handley has an OPS at .801, for a defense first catcher. If he keeps that up the remainder of the year (or close) and I were a small market/rebuilding GM I’d be all over him. Not terribly hard to stash a backup catcher for a season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, survivedc said:

Handley has an OPS at .801, for a defense first catcher. If he keeps that up the remainder of the year (or close) and I were a small market/rebuilding GM I’d be all over him. Not terribly hard to stash a backup catcher for a season.

OPS by month: .457/.857/.959.   Handley is becoming an interesting prospect.  I do think we will protect him if he continues to hit.   

• Thanks 1

Handley has a sterling defensive reputation, and can he really hit worse than Chirinos? He seems like a no-brainer add unless his hitting completely falls off the rest of the year. And if it doesn't he should really be the backup catcher from opening day. I'd rather have him than some random one-year veteran deal

• 5 weeks later...

August thoughts

No Brainers:

1. Grayson Rodriguez

2. Kyle Stowers

3. Drew Rom (3.92 ERA, 4.72 FIP for Rom in July. He's not lighting the world on fire in AA, but he's been quite good and that's enough to get protected for a 22 y.o.)

On the Bubble:

4. Noah Denoyer (Having a strong year, but hasn't pitched since 7/14 and is on the injured list. Not sure what the injury is.)

5. Joey Ortiz (Finally broke out this month with .404/.438/.674 and low strikeouts. If he hits the rest of the year, I'd protect him.)

6. Maverick Handley (.217/.357/.478 in July. I still find it hard to imagine a catcher with no AAA experience getting selected, but he's turning himself into a real prospect).

7. Ignacio Feliz (6.30 BB/9 in Aberdeen this month. Feliz is interesting and gets a lot of Ks, but probably not worthy of protection until he throws more strikes.)

Unlikely:

8. Garrett Stallings (I totally wrote Stallings off, but he had an outstanding July. 1.46 ERA with 31 Ks and 2 BBs. Probably doesn't get protected since his ERA is 7.23 this year, but he's worth paying attention to again.)

9. Adam Hall (I like Hall but he can't seem to put it together. Injuries and inconsistency.)

Other thoughts:

Bishop retired and Peek got TJ. Neustrom and Grenier are Org guys at this point, although Neustrom's career mirrors Mike Yastrzemski's well through this age.

• Upvote 1

Ortiz is a plus defender at all three premium infield positions. If he hits at all in Aug/Sept, he get selected if the Orioles don't protect him. He's easy to stash as a UI on the bench because he provides defensive value. I think he's pretty close to a lock as well