Winter 2022 40-Man Additions

luismatos4prez

I'm heading to see the Baysox in Harrisburg this week. Will be good to look at some of these players in action to see what I think. 

Was reminded, tho, of assessments from the past, and looking through old threads found this one. @weams and @wildcard going back and forth about Jomar Reyes and someone named Triggs around page 3 or so. Pretty entertaining. 

And yeah, I agree that age makes a difference, for sure, but does it mean you can hype a guy more based on projection, or does it mean you can't hype him much because he's unproven? 

(p.s. Sorry for being off topic)

• Like 1

I think after the deadline will give us a much clearer picture to see who we lost currently on the 40 man and who we might add that either goes on it or needs protected this off season.  There is a lot of pitching that can be removed this off season if need be but not a lot of positional spots.  

Grayson Rodriguez, Stowers and Ortiz are total locks. Ortiz would certainly get taken as utility infielders are (along with hard throwing relievers) the easiest Rule 5 picks to stash. Rom and Handley (assuming they believe he is ready to compete for the backup catchers spot in spring training) are pretty close to locks.

It is almost certainly just those 5 for me, unless someone has a Joey Ortiz month over the last 8 weeks of the minor league season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, justD said:

Was reminded, tho, of assessments from the past, and looking through old threads found this one. @weams and @wildcard going back and forth about Jomar Reyes and someone named Triggs around page 3 or so. Pretty entertaining. 

That was a fun read! I was certain Mancini would be the next Joe Mahoney, shows what I know. And Andrew Triggs ended up carving out a career for himself in Oakland's bullpen for 3 years.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I'm surprised to see folks leaving Drew Rom off. He's a virutal lock for me: Tony's #17 prospect and having a good year in Bowie at just 22 years old. 3.88 ERA, 3.74 FIP, 10.98 K/9, 2.84 BB/9.

I understand it based on the argument that finesse pitchers are harder to stash than hard throwing relievers, and I think there is a decent chance that he would be returned at the end of spring training if he was selected, but he is a 22-year-old lefty starter that has had success at every level up through AA.

I think the chances of him being selected are extremely high and I would rather keep him in the fold, given the amount of 40-man space that we have. He is the type of player that gets exposed to the Rule 5 draft by a team facing a roster crunch. The last 5 spots on the Orioles 40-man roster aren't strong enough to justify leaving him off.

Stowers will probably already be on the major league team this year so he'll be on the 40-man.

For me the locks are:

GRodriguez
Ortiz
Rom

Bubble guys:
Handley (not sure how many backup catchers who haven't played past AA get taken)
Denoyer (based on his injury)
Fontana (based on how he does in AAA)

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Stowers will probably already be on the major league team this year so he'll be on the 40-man.

For me the locks are:

GRodriguez
Ortiz
Rom

Bubble guys:
Handley (not sure how many backup catchers who haven't played past AA get taken)
Denoyer (based on his injury)
Fontana (based on how he does in AAA)

What is Denoyer's injury?   I either forget or I missed it.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

That's crazy talk. No one should be keeping a defense-first catcher over a defense-first SS. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

That's crazy talk. No one should be keeping a defense-first catcher over a defense-first SS. 

Ortiz just had a 1.112 OPS over the month of August.  Be careful what you say.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

Ortiz just had a 1.112 OPS over the month of August.  Be careful what you say.

Oh I'm aware. I'm just saying - if you take both guys' reputations until they both started hitting. At their worst, they are defense first guys and I'm still taking Ortiz. But I hope they both keep hitting. 

37 minutes ago, interloper said:

Putting aside the two players in question, the statement you make here is highly questionable.   Just to put this on neutral terms, let’s say you have a C and a SS, each of whom hits about 100 OPS points below the norm at his position.   One is a top-tier defensive C and the other is a top-tier defensive SS. You’re saying it’s clear you should protect the SS over the C in that scenario?