Bullpen Game Today?

sportsfan8703

We used Voth as an opener of a bullpen game before, but he has 23 career starts. I would guess they gradually stretch him out and transition him to more of a 5th starter. If his arm falls off, DFA, no big deal. Fortunately, since we had a short game Wed, the bullpen is in pretty good shape. I'd look for 3+ from Voth and 2+ from Akin. If it goes south, might need Baker for another 2. If it goes well, Krehbiel/Perez/Jorge for the win!

I believe it will be a Voth/Baker/Krehbiel game...between the three of them they can hopefully get us through the sixth.  If we're still in the game, Perez and any two of the high leverage guys who pitched last night get us through the game.  If we're out of it, then I guess Vespi (no offense to him) and who knows to get us through the 8th.  

Then, someone will be optioned for Watkins.  Not sure who though.  Depends on options.  

15 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

Then, someone will be optioned for Watkins.  Not sure who though.  Depends on options.  

I hope not. The results aren't there at all, but at least Voth has intriguing stuff. Spenser Watkins is a dime-a-dozen AAAA player with nothing especially interesting about him

11 hours ago, Surhoffan17 said:

I believe it will be a Voth/Baker/Krehbiel game...between the three of them they can hopefully get us through the sixth.  If we're still in the game, Perez and any two of the high leverage guys who pitched last night get us through the game.  If we're out of it, then I guess Vespi (no offense to him) and who knows to get us through the 8th.  

Good call on Voth/Baker/Krehbiel.  I would hope it's Baker.  He does have options, right?

I guess you could say this about every pitcher but Voth could be good if he was a little more consistent with his location, particularly his cutter.  His stuff works. Tight curveball.  Some cutters were perfect and some were just cement mixers in the middle of the plate.

Relievers up to strong 2nd MLB-wide by Fangraphs reckoning after yesterday's perfection.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31

I believe Big Data Baseball has put more of RP outcomes into the column of Club's intellectual capital (daily roster management, pitch design, deployment) at the expense of individual Player's talents, so its nice to see this year's growth even if we aren't yet all the way to trying to optimize Wins at the major-league level.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Relievers up to strong 2nd MLB-wide by Fangraphs reckoning after yesterday's perfection.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31

I believe Big Data Baseball has put more of RP outcomes into the column of Club's intellectual capital (daily roster management, pitch design, deployment) at the expense of individual Player's talents, so its nice to see this year's growth even if we aren't yet all the way to trying to optimize Wins at the major-league level.

I'd like to hear more about how you think these would not work together.

7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I'd like to hear more about how you think these would not work together.

They do, of course....I just believe the Club's inputs drive more of the outputs than they used to.

In the 80's, Earl had Tippy, Sammy and Stoddard and how they did was how the bullpen did.    Other decades Davey and Buck had more like an A trio and a B trio, but pitching wasn't as atomized even 5-10 years ago as it has become now.   The 2015 Astros pitched Keuchel and McHugh 435 innings, but I don't believe the 2025 Orioles Means and Rodriguez are approaching that workload under today's rules.

Raysian hedge fund managers treating pitches as data can curate in the aggregate nastier stuff, helped by defensive positioning, and a result is a MLB batting average of .242.    Collect pitchers with options, sharpen the breaking ball unless you are Felix Bautista, throw it hard.    Matt Wisler, Dusten Knight, Evan Phillips, Marcos Diplan, Shawn Armstrong...doesn't matter.    Rested Daily Streamer Evan Phillips beats Burnt Out Nugget Brad Brach by Memorial Day and all summer long...the regular season now is partly about doing that enough of the 1425 innings you ideally don't have to tax Gerrit Cole or Walker Buehler or Grayson Rodriguez until the tournament.    In Corbin Burnes' case, maybe you still don't.

I think Jorge Lopez just wants to pitch, and his 2021-2022 ERA outcomes reflect the Orioles' choices a little bit more than his "true talent" compared to many other pitchers, even in recent history.   

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

They do, of course....I just believe the Club's inputs drive more of the outputs than they used to.

In the 80's, Earl had Tippy, Sammy and Stoddard and how they did was how the bullpen did.    Other decades Davey and Buck had more like an A trio and a B trio, but pitching wasn't as atomized even 5-10 years ago as it has become now.   The 2015 Astros pitched Keuchel and McHugh 435 innings, but I don't believe the 2025 Orioles Means and Rodriguez are approaching that workload under today's rules.

Raysian hedge fund managers treating pitches as data can curate in the aggregate nastier stuff, helped by defensive positioning, and a result is a MLB batting average of .242.    Collect pitchers with options, sharpen the breaking ball unless you are Felix Bautista, throw it hard.    Matt Wisler, Dusten Knight, Evan Phillips, Marcos Diplan, Shawn Armstrong...doesn't matter.    Rested Daily Streamer Evan Phillips beats Burnt Out Nugget Brad Brach by Memorial Day and all summer long...the regular season now is partly about doing that enough of the 1425 innings you ideally don't have to tax Gerrit Cole or Walker Buehler or Grayson Rodriguez until the tournament.    In Corbin Burnes' case, maybe you still don't.

I think Jorge Lopez just wants to pitch, and his 2021-2022 ERA outcomes reflect the Orioles' choices a little bit more than his "true talent" compared to many other pitchers, even in recent history.   

I blame the 2014 Royals. But if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.