Keep Mancini Thread

NelsonCruuuuuz

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

7/25 deadline is today and appears International Draft is close to dead, which would bring back the QO. QO is a longshot but I still say he would decline and the comp pick might be more valuable than anything we can get right now. At least the possibility could be used as leverage in any negotiation with a trade partner. 

Mancini would jump at the QO if offered IMO.  But he O's would never offer it to him.

16 hours ago, DEOriolesfan said:

At some point you have to think he will get moved down in the order. Maybe that will take some of the pressure off. I also hope we can end the RF experiment.. he's subpar out there and is liability. I've seen enough.

I’m not too worried about Trey’s recent slump.  Basically it’s 5 bad games, sandwiched around a four-day break.  

The Yankees just traded for Benintendi and only had to give up their 19th and 21st best prospects and their 9th round draft pick in 2021, who is not in their top 30. 

Given that he is unable (unwilling) to play in Toronto, I'm not positive that Benintendi, a fellow pending free agent had significant more trade value than Mancini but I doubt he had less.

If that is the type of package the O's can expect for Mancini, I would rather keep him on the 3 percent chance of making the playoffs.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

The Yankees just traded for Benintendi and only had to give up their 19th and 21st best prospects and their 9th round draft pick in 2021, who is not in their top 30. 

Given that he is unable (unwilling) to play in Toronto, I'm not positive that Benintendi, a fellow pending free agent had significant more trade value than Mancini but I doubt he had less.

If that is the type of package the O's can expect for Mancini, I would rather keep him on the 3 percent chance of making the playoffs.

Agreed. No point in punting one of Adley’s seven years either. Keeping Mancini makes the most sense. He had a hit tonight. He’ll be alright. Elias just needs to call the dude and tell him he’s staying and let’s go make the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Agreed. No point in punting one of Adley’s seven years either. Keeping Mancini makes the most sense. He had a hit tonight. He’ll be alright. Elias just needs to call the dude and tell him he’s staying and let’s go make the playoffs. 

Frankly, I would prefer a 3rd round comp pick and the accompanying slot value in the 2023 draft, to the package the Royals got.

The Orioles would get a 3rd round comp pick if Mancini signed for $25 million guaranteed in the offseason, which I think he might get.

46 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Frankly, I would prefer a 3rd round comp pick and the accompanying slot value in the 2023 draft, to the package the Royals got.

The Orioles would get a 3rd round comp pick if Mancini signed for $25 million guaranteed in the offseason, which I think he might get.

You'd have to offer him a QO and have him refuse to get that right?

If you are Mancini would you turn down that QO?

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You'd have to offer him a QO and have him refuse to get that right?

If you are Mancini would you turn down that QO?

No, this compensation is separate from the QO compensation. It is part of the new CBA. Here are the details.

"A team losing a free agent would receive draft-pick compensation based on revenue-sharing status and whether a club had been over the luxury tax threshold. For a free agent who had spent the entire season with one team, there would would be four compensation tiers based on:

$25 million in guaranteed salary or $18 million average annual value (AAV) (third-round pick for revenue-sharing payee)

$55 million or $23 million AAV (Comp B pick for revenue-sharing payee, third-round pick for non-payee or team that did not pay luxury tax)

$100 million or $30 million AAV (Comp A pick for revenue-sharing payee, Comp B pick for non-payee or team that did not pay luxury tax, third-round pick for team paying revenue sharing)

$150 million or $40 million AAV (Comp A pick and third-round pick for revenue-sharing payee, Comp A pick for non-payee or team that did not pay luxury tax, Comp B pick for team paying revenue sharing)."

I am pretty sure that this system exists in addition to the QO system that still exists due to the absence of an International Draft Alagreement, but it is possible that I am mistaken. If anyone knows for sure, let me know.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

No, this compensation is separate from the QO compensation. It is part of the new CBA. Here are the details.

"A team losing a free agent would receive draft-pick compensation based on revenue-sharing status and whether a club had been over the luxury tax threshold. For a free agent who had spent the entire season with one team, there would would be four compensation tiers based on:

$25 million in guaranteed salary or $18 million average annual value (AAV) (third-round pick for revenue-sharing payee)

$55 million or $23 million AAV (Comp B pick for revenue-sharing payee, third-round pick for non-payee or team that did not pay luxury tax)

$100 million or $30 million AAV (Comp A pick for revenue-sharing payee, Comp B pick for non-payee or team that did not pay luxury tax, third-round pick for team paying revenue sharing)

$150 million or $40 million AAV (Comp A pick and third-round pick for revenue-sharing payee, Comp A pick for non-payee or team that did not pay luxury tax, Comp B pick for team paying revenue sharing)."

So we would get a 3rd rd pick if he signs a contract for a total of $25 million?  If so, I’d rather have the 3rd pick versus what we would get back in a trade. 

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

A 3rd round pick.   Elias has to be excited about that.

Edited by wildcard

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A 3rd round pick.   Elias has be be excited about that.

Great. I’m excited too. The 3rd pick is about the value we would receive anyways. Give Trey a hug. Ask him if he’ll defer his remaining 2022 salary through the year 2035, and let’s get on with the season. 

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Great. I’m excited too. The 3rd pick is about the value we would receive anyways. Give Trey a hug. Ask him if he’ll defer his remaining 2022 salary through the year 2035, and let’s get on with the season. 

Better make it 2050, some of these kids are gonna start getting arb money

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/34304930/trade-grades-andrew-benintendi-missing-piece-new-york-yankees-outfield

According to ESPN's Kiley McDaniel, the plum of this deal is right-hander Beck Way, a fourth-round pick of the Yankees in 2020. According to Baseball America, Way features a four-seamer that works in the 92-94 miles per hour range and reaches 97. He supports that with a quality changeup and a developing slider. McDaniel sees him as possibly a mid-rotation starter. This season at High-A, Way has a 3.73 ERA over 15 starts with 10 strikeouts per nine innings.

T.J. Sikkema is a lefty out of Missouri who will now hope to break into the majors with a team that plays two hours from his college venue. He throws with decent velocity but mostly features command and deception with a three-quarters arm slot, per Baseball America. His numbers for the Yankees' High-A squad have been better than those of Way this season.

Righty Chandler Champlain was a ninth-round pick by the Yankees out of Southern Cal last year. This season, he's flashed a sparkly strikeout rate but has also given up enough homers to suggest maybe he's spending a little too much time around the center of the plate. Unranked by Baseball America among New York's top 30 before the campaign, he made his way into the back of their rankings during the season.

It's a perfectly fine haul for a good player like Benintendi who is not really a cornerstone talent and whom you weren't going to sign anyway. The only question is whether the Royals could have fared better by holding on to Benintendi, hoping to extract a premium prospect from someone as the deadline clock ticked down. Right now, it's hard to ding them for that -- but perhaps we'll re-grade if we see players similar but inferior to Benintendi moved for greater return.

Grade: B

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

I am pretty sure that this system exists in addition to the QO system that still exists due to the absence of an International Draft Alagreement, but it is possible that I am mistaken. If anyone knows for sure, let me know.

You left out the preceding sentence, which says "pending an agreement on the International Draft." As I read that, no agreement means no new system so we go back to QO system. 

Here is what the MLB website says currently:

Under the terms of the 2022-26 Collective Bargaining Agreement, MLB and the MLB Players Association had the opportunity to agree on the implementation of an International Draft by July 25, 2022, which would have eliminated the qualifying offer system starting with the 2022-23 offseason. The two sides did not agree by the deadline, though, meaning the system will remain in place until the end of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/qualifying-offer

I do find it amusing that the people who were talking about how the player's union only cares about themselves are silent now that the union gave up eliminating the qualifying offer to block an international draft.

Nice to see the union do anything to help players who aren't members.