Keep Mancini Thread

NelsonCruuuuuz

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You left out the preceding sentence, which says "pending an agreement on the International Draft." As I read that, no agreement means no new system so we go back to QO system. 

Here is what the MLB website says currently:

Under the terms of the 2022-26 Collective Bargaining Agreement, MLB and the MLB Players Association had the opportunity to agree on the implementation of an International Draft by July 25, 2022, which would have eliminated the qualifying offer system starting with the 2022-23 offseason. The two sides did not agree by the deadline, though, meaning the system will remain in place until the end of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/qualifying-offer

The qualifying offer was to be eliminated pending an agreement on the International Draft. The verbiage is unclear whether this compensation scheme was only to go into effect pending the agreement on the International Draft, or will go into effect regardless.

As I said, I'm not positive whether it is one or the other.  It is possible that both systems could co-exist, given the non-implementation of the International Draft. There is definitely a need for clarity, hopefully someone can provide a definitive answer.

Edited by MurphDogg

Just now, MurphDogg said:

As I said, I'm not positive whether it is one or the other.  It is possible that both systems could exist. There is definitely a need for clarity, hopefully someone can provide a definitive answer.

I think it is 95% clear from the "pending agreement on International Draft" and the language of the MLB site that they just kept the QO compensation system. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think it is 95% clear from the "pending agreement on International Draft" and the language of the MLB site that they just kept the QO compensation system. 

Gotcha. Reading various articles written after the 7/25 deadline passed, I agree that it is more likely that you are correct and I am mistaken, that it is only the QO system in place.

Alas.