We are up. Who do you want for pick 81, and who do you think they will take?

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Doesn’t seem like they really took an overslot.  Seemingly no intention (ie not allowed) of using the money for that can be used over your bonus pool.

Shame that ownership is still making them play this game with an arm tied behind their backs.

Is that a fair criticism -  do any teams go into the draft expecting to take the penalty as a cost of doing business for exceeding the bonus pool?

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Elias himself was a college pitcher who hurt his arm.   I’m sure he’s very aware of what can happen with pitchers.   

But by the way, Springer was picked by the pre-Luhnow/Elias regime in Houston.  

You are right .. I think the Appel and Brady Aikens first round disasters were also in his formative mix .. similarly we have had the worst luck with first round pitcher picks … the parade of Jay Powell, Alvie Shepherd, Mike Paradis, Richard Stahl, Josh Cenate, Beau Hale Tripper Johnson, Chris Smith, Adam Lowen, Matt Hobgood,etc  

I still cringe when the Os make a high round pitching pick .: give me the bats . 

29 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

That is easier to do with a Verlander, Greinke,  McCullers , Odorizzi also in rotation last year or this year .  I think it is a replacement plan but the Astros won their championships almost exclusively with non organization pitchers 

They're doing pretty good this year with 3/5 or 4/5 of the rotation being just the type of pitchers I mentioned.   Now it took about 5 years from the time they were signed to get to where they are now.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

They're doing pretty good this year with 3/5 or 4/5 of the rotation being just the type of pitchers I mentioned.   Now it took about 5 years from the time they were signed to get to where they are now.

Very true .. and if we can do that great, but he really did not pick the Cody Sedlocks etc, the “soon to be ready” college arms ..Houston traded for pitching up until this year.  
Maybe Elias would have selected Grayson, maybe not. 

50 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I have to say, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the picks today.  I don't see a lot of upside.  

Here’s the thing…you aren’t really going to get that on day 2 or day 3, at least beyond maybe your first pick.

They got arms that could be part of the pen soon enough.  That’s fine, that’s valuable.

But for the most part, that’s about best case scenario.  Sure you may get an Arrieta or Mayo or someone like that but the reality is that they are few and far between at this point.

The issue with the draft is that you didn’t get a very good overslot earlier.  The lefty the Cubs took sounded good.  They took college guys that need development, some of them younger, which in their eyes is probably similar to taking a HS kid.  We will see.  It hasn’t worked with Haskin.

But if ownership isn’t letting them spend that extra 825k, it becomes harder.  Not impossible but harder.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Here’s the thing…you aren’t really going to get that on day 2 or day 3, at least beyond maybe your first pick.

They got arms that could be part of the pen soon enough.  That’s fine, that’s valuable.

But for the most part, that’s about best case scenario.  Sure you may get an Arrieta or Mayo or someone like that but the reality is that they are few and far between at this point.

The issue with the draft is that you didn’t get a very good overslot earlier.  The lefty the Cubs took sounded good.  They took college guys that need development, some of them younger, which in their eyes is probably similar to taking a HS kid.  We will see.  It hasn’t worked with Haskin.

But if ownership isn’t letting them spend that extra 825k, it becomes harder.  Not impossible but harder.

While I don't expect Haskin to be a star (how many of them do you find in one draft?) it's not like he's a failed prospect either.    He is playing his 2nd full season and he's got an .804 OPS in AA.   There's room for improvement for sure and he may never be anything special but let's not act as though he's floundering in Low A ball at this point.   He's 23 and in AA with an .804 OPS.   That's not bad.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

While I don't expect Haskin to be a star (how many of them do you find in one draft?) it's not like he's a failed prospect either.    He is playing his 2nd full season and he's got an .804 OPS in AA.   There's room for improvement for sure and he may never be anything special but let's not act as though he's floundering in Low A ball at this point.   He's 23 and in AA with an .804 OPS.   That's not bad.

Come on.  The chances of him being anything are very unlikely.  It’s not impossible but it’s extremely unlikely.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

1.  Where are you seeing this?

2. Should we really care what the “prospect gurus” think?

Given that most everything that is posted here is what some prospect guru says about one player or another,  I imagine people think their opinions are pretty respectable.  As for where, Fangraphs and Pipeline were kind of critical last year wondering where we were using the money and not terribly impressed with using the extra $  for Rhodes and Willems.  No reviews for our Day 2 I can find, but lots of people liked our Day 1 including Kiley, and Longenhagen in his chat.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I like the upside of some of them, especially McLean and Brice.

They’re intriguing as helium guys, but they shouldn’t be the top pitchers in your class. Especially when the opportunity presented itself to draft guys who had fallen further than expected and had much bigger upside. I liked the Wagner pick, but we gave up a chance to get two SP so we could draft two more college OFs.