Can you name a Player where we changed mechanics/approach and had success at the MLB level?

Seems we've tried taking some toolsy guys with good defense and tried to tweak the hitting to see if we could make an MLB player.   I haven't seen any successes yet, though admittedly the new regime hasn't been in place very long....

We took Cadyn Grenier- I hated his swing mechanics and he's flamed out in the minors.   

We took Hudson Haskin- It doesn't look like we've changed his odd swing at all.  The jury is out.  He had a ridiculously hot start but now has fizzled...

Cowser's swing is a little more line-drive than uppercut for power.  Sounds like we may have tried to tinker with it and we were screwing him up- maybe better left alone...

Now, we'll try to tweak Fabian and Beavers to see if we can unlock something...

23 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Seems we've tried taking some toolsy guys with good defense and tried to tweak the hitting to see if we could make an MLB player.   I haven't seen any successes yet, though admittedly the new regime hasn't been in place very long....

We took Cadyn Grenier- I hated his swing mechanics and he's flamed out in the minors.   

We took Hudson Haskin- It doesn't look like we've changed his odd swing at all.  The jury is out.  He had a ridiculously hot start but now has fizzled...

Cowser's swing is a little more line-drive than uppercut for power.  Sounds like we may have tried to tinker with it and we were screwing him up- maybe better left alone...

Now, we'll try to tweak Fabian and Beavers to see if we can unlock something...

Grenier is a player that Elias and his people didn't draft, and there's no way they would have drafted him if they had all been in charge for the 2018 draft. They clearly value a totally different type of player than what Grenier is, and was at the time.

Haskin has an OPS over .800 at AA. Sure, he hasn't hit as well since his hot start, but the overall numbers are solid. He certainly wouldn't count as an example of a failed draft pick or player who's swing the organization hasn't helped.

I don't think there was ever anything wrong with Cowser's swing, the organization just tried to see if they could tap into more power. The power has certainly come on much more in Bowie. Undetermined if the swing changes at the beginning of the season helped at all (I'd say the changes didn't help, but the move from Aberdeen to Bowie did, and Cowser went back to his original approach). But again, not a good example to use to question if the organization has helped any players with making hitting tweaks.

If anything, Jordan Westburg is an example of the organization's success with identifying tools and late rising numbers that the overall college statistics might not obviously tell the story on - Westburg strikes me as a similar pick to Beavers, Wagner, and Fabian. There was a lot of projection with Westburg, and they seemingly got it right. Beavers and Fabian might actually have more tools than Westburg did/does because of their speed, even though there are more holes in their respective swings compared to Westburg.

Look at the history of draft success outside of the first round and you'll probably find some hitters who got a lot better between when they were drafted and when they got to the majors.

I don't mind the approach at all, with the massive caveat being that I'd prefer to focus on pitching (and understand that I don't really know the data behind that preference).

5 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Cedric Mullins!

He decided to give up hitting right handed.  Not sure that really counts as changing his approach.   Looking at Beavers' swing, he'll need to change hand position, get rid of the hitch in the swing, among other things....   How his high school and college coaches could allow him to hit like that his puzzling...   I guess he was having success so they decided to let it be...

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

He decided to give up hitting right handed.  Not sure that really counts as changing his approach.   Looking at Beavers' swing, he'll need to change hand position, get rid of the hitch in the swing, among other things....   How his high school and college coaches could allow him to hit like that his puzzling...   I guess he was having success so they decided to let it be...

I'd say giving up on switch hitting is a pretty big change in approach.

• Upvote 1