Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

If we are trading with the Mets, why wouldn't we try to get someone off their major league roster, with years of control, like David Peterson?

Absolutely we should try that.

I suspect they won't go for it.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

If Mullins is "available" in some sense, why not also Hays, Mountcastle, or Tyler Wells? Maybe Mateo? I'm not actively shopping any of these guys but I'd have an assistant answer the phone to see what the market is. 

Because those guys don’t have much value to the point where trading them makes sense…unless you are including them in a deal for a much larger, established piece.

Maybe all the smoke around Mancini to the Mets is the O's trying to get other teams to up there offers for him / package.  Gotta figure Elias wants to get some pitching back which doesn't exactly make the Mets an ideal trade partner.

A couple weeks ago there was a lot of smoke around Cleveland having interest, a quick look at there top 10 prospects makes me think they would be a lot more attractive dance partner.

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The future DH does not have to be a 35 Run guy who can't play the field. I would love to build a roster that does not have a spot taken up by a RH full time DH. We already have a LH DJ Stewart, do we need a RH one? 

Right handed DJ Stewart seems harsh, but I get what you’re saying. Vientos is much younger than Stewart at this point and hasn’t been disproven to be a major league level player like Stewart has. Plus, if you’re going to have a right handed hitter on the team, you’d like one with the type of power that Vientos has. 

Obviously a pure DH is never the goal but the O’s have been doing fine this year with Mancini in that role. Other teams have players in that role and are able to stay balanced throughout the year and stay competitive. Who else do we have that can fill that role? 

Just saying, I think he’d be a good return for a rental and a decent bull pen arm. 

25 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

If we are trading with the Mets, why wouldn't we try to get someone off their major league roster, with years of control, like David Peterson?

I don't know how you're going to get a 3.31 ERA SP with 3 more years of control for a 1B/DH with 3 months of control. But good luck! 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The future DH does not have to be a 35 Run guy who can't play the field. I would love to build a roster that does not have a spot taken up by a RH full time DH. We already have a LH DJ Stewart, do we need a RH one? 

Vientos has played DH 8 games this year at AAA.  He is not just a Dh as he can play 1st 3rd and corner OF  He is not a great defender by any means but he can play those positions and give guys rest some.  

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Maybe all the smoke around Mancini to the Mets is the O's trying to get other teams to up there offers for him / package.  Gotta figure Elias wants to get some pitching back which doesn't exactly make the Mets an ideal trade partner.

A couple weeks ago there was a lot of smoke around Cleveland having interest, a quick look at there top 10 prospects makes me think they would be a lot more attractive dance partner.

Its hard for us as fans to evaluate other team's pitching.   Its really about what Holt and his team think they can make out of the pitching prospects.  Just look what he has done with the pen and Wells and Kremer and.....   No one saw that coming.

59 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

That would seem like a decent return for those two.  

If it were me I would make the following moves.

Mancini and Tate for Vientos, Ziegler, Santos and a DSL lottery ticket

Santander for Snell

Bring up Varva and send Nevin down.  

Hall takes Tate spot in the bullpen to limit innings.  

Snell moves into rotation Voth to the pen.  Voth Hall and Akin are middle relief.  Kriebahl and Vespi 6th inning men, Perez 7th Bautista 8th Lopez 9th.

Your basically replacing Mancini and Santander with Stowers and Vientos which would give you similar offensive production and gets you younger while costing much less next year.  Varva plays 2nd base and some center to give Mullins and Hays some days rest.   Vientos can mostly DH but little LF/RF and 1st.  Arauz can give Mateo and Urias a break here and there and doesn't kill you in the field.  

Lineup

Mullins CF

Hays LF

Mountcastle 1B

Adley C

Urias 3B

Stowers RF

Vientos DH

Odor/Varva 2b

Mateo SS

Bench

Varva/Odor, Chirinos, Arauz, Mckenna

Rotation

Lyles, Snell, Wells, Kramer, Watkins

So I chose Ramirez to add to the talent pool as 16 of 17 guys are atAA or higher. Vientos is at AAA with 250 ABs already. So I’ve t Ramirez. We have McKenna and Stowers that need to play now to see if they can play. Hyde can play those two more if they trade Santander also. Otherwise it open playing time for one or the other and Stowers is obviously promoted. 

Santos looks like a relief pitcher to ma at a glance a 4ERA in the minors and control issues but probably ends up throwing 100 mph in a few years. I like Ramirez, Hamel, and Dominquez. If Elias can get them to throw in a DSL guy so be it 

10 minutes ago, oriole said:

Right handed DJ Stewart seems harsh, but I get what you’re saying. Vientos is much younger than Stewart at this point and hasn’t been disproven to be a major league level player like Stewart has. Plus, if you’re going to have a right handed hitter on the team, you’d like one with the type of power that Vientos has. 

Obviously a pure DH is never the goal but the O’s have been doing fine this year with Mancini in that role. Other teams have players in that role and are able to stay balanced throughout the year and stay competitive. Who else do we have that can fill that role? 

Just saying, I think he’d be a good return for a rental and a decent bull pen arm. 

Yeah, I was comparing Vientos to Stewart before he was promoted. Maybe Vientos has a little better resume, but he's RH. Even if he brings some additional tools the question is where does he ever play for us? I guess I'd rather keep the bullpen arm and reduce my ask for Trey.

This is from Mark Feinsand

Orioles: Trey Mancini, 1B/OF/DH
Under club control through 2022
The Orioles are unexpectedly in the AL Wild Card race, complicating what should have been an easy Trade Deadline for GM Mike Elias. Trading the popular Mancini won’t make the fan base happy, but the 30-year-old is likely headed for free agency thanks to a $10 million mutual option (with a $250,000 buyout). Given the number of teams that could use a quality right-handed bat, Baltimore should have multiple suitors for Mancini.