Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

12 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't understand possibly trading for Peterson.  I guess he's one of the Mets backup starters.  You have to think Elias is looking to trade for a young starter, but was hoping for someone better than Peterson. 

A lefty with a 3.54 ERA in 73 IP with 10.5 K/9 is.... pretty good man! Really? Instantly becomes the best SP in a rotation that doesn't include Means or Grayson. I don't think you can ask for a better controllable SP for 3 months of Mancini and 1 more year of Lopez, who we would be selling all the way high on. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

A lefty with a 3.54 ERA in 73 IP with 10.5 K/9 is.... pretty good man! Really? Instantly becomes the best SP in a rotation that doesn't include Means or Grayson. I don't think you can ask for a better controllable SP for 3 months of Mancini and 1 more year of Lopez, who we would be selling all the way high on. 

In theory, I agree. However… You’re subtracting a player that affects the game everyday, and then another player that basically affects games every other day. You’re doing all this for a guy that might only affect 12 games.

It’s tough. We’re 100 games into this season with TB and NYY behind us. We don’t need to mortgage the future, start service clocks, etc…, but we also shouldn’t be selling. 

I think this team and fan base deserves at least a rental SP and an IF bat like Donovan Solano. 

The current version needs a take and not a back hoe. Make the bold moves in the offseason when you have Gunnar, Westburg, Hall, and Grayson, in your back pocket. 

Elias needs to make the easy moves. Now isn’t the time for the smartest guy in the room crap. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think this team and fan base deserves at least a rental SP and an IF bat like Donovan Solano. 

We will agree to disagree on the bolded point. I don't want any kind of rental for this year. I want ML SPs who will bolster the rotation this year, next year, and ideally a few years after that. Peterson would be a huge add for next year when you think about a rotation that may eventually contain Means and Rodriguez. 

We have IF bats right now with Henderson and Vavra and Westburg - they just aren't deciding to play them yet. Why sacrifice prospects for rentals at this stage? 

Peterson plugs a HUGE hole RIGHT NOW with a rotation that is held together with duct tape. Voth and Watkins? Kremer? Lyles is our #1. Bradish will return and be a total crapshoot. We need a SP right now. Felix is a closer, period. Our bullpen will be fine. Mancini can be replaced with Stowers. Stowers won't be as good, but Mancini hasn't been lighting the world on fire either. 

• Upvote 2

Speculation from Sporting News:

Dom Smith, IF/OF, Mets

Smith is due for a change of scenery and considering the Mets are finding ways to improve their offense, don't be surprised if he's shipped off as part of a Trey Mancini deal. Smith's value is at a low, and the Orioles would likely appreciate his team control through 2024.

Prediction: Orioles

Was listening to 105.7 and they were interviewing a beat writer for the O’s. I was work-ening (working listening). The writer said that Elias asking prices are very aggressive. He said that he expect 2 outgoing guys and said His quess was Mancini and 1 RP. He said he’s not sure how many bullpen arms Elias is willing to trade. He said a deal for Santander is likely held up for the teams with an interest in Santander because of Soto. Said things could happen fast when there is a resolution on him.

11 minutes ago, vab said:

Dom Smith, IF/OF, Mets

Smith is due for a change of scenery and considering the Mets are finding ways to improve their offense, don't be surprised if he's shipped off as part of a Trey Mancini deal. Smith's value is at a low, and the Orioles would likely appreciate his team control through 2024.

Uh… hard pass.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, vab said:

Dom Smith, IF/OF, Mets

Unless they plan on playing him and Mountcastle everyday for the rest of the season and trading one in the off-season, this doesn't make sense.

They need pitching. I'm sure Elias knows that... right?

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

We will agree to disagree on the bolded point. I don't want any kind of rental for this year. I want ML SPs who will bolster the rotation this year, next year, and ideally a few years after that. Peterson would be a huge add for next year when you think about a rotation that may eventually contain Means and Rodriguez. 

We have IF bats right now with Henderson and Vavra and Westburg - they just aren't deciding to play them yet. Why sacrifice prospects for rentals at this stage? 

Peterson plugs a HUGE hole RIGHT NOW with a rotation that is held together with duct tape. Voth and Watkins? Kremer? Lyles is our #1. Bradish will return and be a total crapshoot. We need a SP right now. Felix is a closer, period. Our bullpen will be fine. Mancini can be replaced with Stowers. Stowers won't be as good, but Mancini hasn't been lighting the world on fire either. 

63 games remaining

Mancini likely plays in 60 out of 63 games. 

Lopez likely pitches in 25 out of 63 games. 

Peterson likely makes 12-13 Starts. 

I just don’t think it’s worth it to lose Mancini and Lopez for Peterson. You don’t want a rental. It’s not perfect, but it’s what this team needs. 

Leave it to the offseason to make the big moves. Elias can team build however he wants. However, now “rentals” are safe and effective way. 

Also, no other team in baseball has played the Yankees 15-16 times. So we’re probably slightly better than our current record shows. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

63 games remaining

I just don’t think it’s worth it to lose Mancini and Lopez for Peterson. You don’t want a rental. It’s not perfect, but it’s what this team needs. 

Leave it to the offseason to make the big moves. Elias can team build however he wants. However, now “rentals” are safe and effective way. 

Also, no other team in baseball has played the Yankees 15-16 times. So we’re probably slightly better than our current record shows. 

I guess I'm a little confused, and I'm not trying to be a dick or anything. What kind of rental are you looking for? To me, Peterson fills the role of rental for this year (if you have dreams of wild card contention, SOMEone has to start games in the playoffs. We sure don't want it to be Watkins or Voth...), while also helping the team over the next few years when they're even better. 

I definitely get the hesitation on Lopez. He's a big part of why we're playing well. What if Tate was in the trade instead of Lopez? It just depends on how well you think the bullpen holds up without Lopez. For me, I think it holds up relatively well especially with Baker suddenly emerging as a guy who throws 100mph. 

And for Mancini, I mean... I'd like him to stay as much as the next guy. If you ask me, I'd prefer to trade Santander who I view as injury prone and slow. But to me Henderson is going to be a better bat than any 1 yr rental you get. 

There's a long way to go between now and Tuesday.   That said, I'm getting the feeling we're going to stand pat.  And I have no evidence for this, it's just a feeling.

Seems like Mancini to the Mets was hot a few days ago and has cooled.  It could still happen, but I get the feeling that it already would have happened had they really been that close.

Maybe we make a minor move or two but I think our "big" trade chips (Mancini, Lopez, Santander) are here to stay.  I'd like to be wrong, though.  Guess we'll find out.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

There's a long way to go between now and Tuesday.   That said, I'm getting the feeling we're going to stand pat.  And I have no evidence for this, it's just a feeling.

Seems like Mancini to the Mets was hot a few days ago and has cooled.  It could still happen, but I get the feeling that it already would have happened had they really been that close.

Maybe we make a minor move or two but I think our "big" trade chips (Mancini, Lopez, Santander) are here to stay.  I'd like to be wrong, though.  Guess we'll find out.

I trust Elias & Sig. The question is, do they move Mancini just to make room for some youth? He can’t be all that valuable, walk year, not much defensive value, average bat, etc.

Lopez/Tate/Mullins should have a lot more.

Santander I’m on the fence about.

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

63 games remaining

You do realize the impact a position player has on each game is much less than the impact the SP has, right? Mancini playing in a bunch of games doesn’t mean his impact is greater. 

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

63 games remaining

It’s a no brainer to make that trade IMO. Mancini is a rental and Lopez is a ticking time bomb. Peterson would make a lot more than 12-13 starts over the next few years plus he’d solidify a rotation this year that is held together by some kind of witchcraft. There’s guys that could immediately step into the Mancini and Lopez roles but the rotation has nothing in the works outside of DL Hall, who is an injury risk and wildly inconsistent in his effectiveness in addition to being an unknown. 

I no longer believe that Mancini will be traded to the Mets so the conversation is pretty futile in my eyes at this point. But Peterson would’ve been a fantastic return assuming a low level prospect or two were also included.

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I trust Elias & Sig. The question is, do they move Mancini just to make room for some youth? He can’t be all that valuable, walk year, not much defensive value, average bat, etc.

If you're going to move Mancini, Santander should be moved too.  If you're going to make room for youth, make room.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Also - is what you get for Mancini better than the comp pick you get from offering him the QO?

Sort of agree with Moose that we may just stand pat. Elias' trades have been pretty safe, so I don't expect a blockbuster. Still - there's an obvious SP need, so I'd love to see him land some kind of controllable SP even if the guy needs some work. At the end of the day, the offseason might just make more sense. We'll know a lot more by then.