30 for 30

Frobby

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Agree to disagree.

Pretty sure that means, players who played and had an impact on the Orioles during the OPACY ERA.

Actually, it says what it means, "Just, who do you think of when you think of OPACY?"

There is no way Boog Powell isn't above just about everyone on that list.

• Upvote 1

Some more honorable mentions:

Steve Pearce

Kevin Gausman

Darren O'Day

Orosco

Tonny Tarasco (iconic moment) 

Nelson Cruz

I don't think Sutcliffe, McDonald, Rodrigo, or Guthrie should be on the list. Bedard is on the bubble but might make it just for what he got us in trade. I don't think Adley has done enough yet to be on the list but he could be involved in the ceremony somehow. Sorry, but I also would not include Trey if we're limited to 30. Did not contribute to a winning team and just didn't do quite enough IMO. I guess I am biased to players on the playoff teams. 

I think you could have a separate category for people who didn't play for the Orioles these past 30+ years, but played a significant role in creating the Oriole Park atmosphere.   And Boog would top that list.   You might add Clancy, and Janet Marie Smith.   Maybe Nicole Sherry.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Actually, it says what it means, "Just, who do you think of when you think of OPACY?"

There is no way Boog Powell isn't above just about everyone on that list.

Using your criteria, then you need to add Rick Dempsey to the list. His restaurant has impact OPACY.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is more of a best of list.  

If your goal is to best represent the period you need more Daniel Cabrera types.

19 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

The original post says "players who represent Camden Yards" 

It does NOT say "players who played at Camden Yards"

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

that doesnt count and you know it.

16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Agree to disagree.

Pretty sure that means, players who played and had an impact on the Orioles during the OPACY ERA.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty sure he means good players who had a positive impact on the Orioles during the OPACY era.

Honestly Jack Cust is a better representation of what we've seen over the years then most of that list.

Each person can have their own criteria for who they want to have on the list.  For me, the third sentence of the OP is the best guide: “who do you think of when you think of OPACY?”  If your mind goes to Daniel Cabrera and Jack Cust, then they’re on your list.   Fine by me.  If DirtyBird’s mind goes to a retired player who has a BBQ stand on Eutaw Street, he can put him on his list; no skin off my nose.  Those don’t happen to be the players I think of when I think of Camden Yards.   

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think you could have a separate category for people who didn't play for the Orioles these past 30+ years, but played a significant role in creating the Oriole Park atmosphere.   And Boog would top that list.   You might add Clancy, and Janet Marie Smith.   Maybe Nicole Sherry.

Elrod.   The shaky lemonade guy (who passed away this offseason, I thInk).   The guy who writes “Orioles” on your hot dog with the mustard.  

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Using your criteria, then you need to add Rick Dempsey to the list. His restaurant has impact OPACY.

You could add Dempsey, not just for his restaurant (which hasn't been there since day 1, like Boog's) but more so for his work from with MASN from Camden Yards.

38 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

You could add Dempsey, not just for his restaurant (which hasn't been there since day 1, like Boog's) but more so for his work from with MASN from Camden Yards.

True, only since 2012, so just ten years, thought it had been longer, but I say it still has had an impact.

I don't have any particular nostalgia for the 30th anniversary at Camden Yards.  I love the ballpark, but until the Orioles win a championship there it is just a very nice building.  My primary Orioles memories are all still from Memorial Stadium.  Keep in mind I am almost 54 years old and I understand how younger people may feel more fond of Oriole Park than I do.  Until they win, 30 years at Oriole Park is a yawn to me.  Hopefully they make some REAL memories at the Yard soon.  I was almost embarrassed when they celebrated a division championship with a ceremony there.

Edited by drdelaware

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

We should have a list of the 30 players who best represent our 30 years at Camden Yards.   No character test for this list.   No PED disqualifications.   Just, who do you think of when you think of OPACY?  Here’s mine (top of my head version), and where the hell are most of them this weekend?

Cal Ripken Jr.

Adam Jones

Nick Markakis

Brady Anderson 

Mike Mussina

Ben McDonald

Rick Sutcliffe

Manny Machado

JJ Hardy 

Matt Wieters

Mike Bordick 

Gregg Olson

Zach Britton

EriK Bedard

Chris Tillman

Chris Davis

Chris Hoiles

Mike Devereaux

Brian Roberts

Jeremy Guthrie

Rodrigo Lopez

Rafael Palmeiro

Roberto Alomar

Miguel Tejada

Melvin Mora

Delmon Young (for one iconic moment)

Robert Andino (ditto)

Trey Mancini

Jonathan Schoop

Adley Rutschman (representing the future of the franchise)

====
A few I left on the cutting room floor who get honorable mention:

Jim Johnson

Nelson Cruz

Mark Trumbo

Wei-Yin Chen

Miguel Gonzalez 

Randall K. Myers

Albert Belle (for negative reasons)

David Segui (ditto)

Marty Cordova (ditto)

Armando Benitez (ditto)

I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting; I’m not looking anything up.  Who’ve you got that I don’t?

The fact that Lew Ford didn't make your list makes me question everything I every thought I knew about your baseball acumen.   🤣

48 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

I don't have any particular nostalgia for the 30th anniversary at Camden Yards.  I love the ballpark, but until the Orioles win a championship there it is just a very nice building.  My primary Orioles memories are all still from Memorial Stadium.  Keep in mind I am almost 54 years old and I understand how younger people may feel more fond of Oriole Park than I do.  Until they win, 30 years at Oriole Park is a yawn to me.  Hopefully they make some REAL memories at the Yard soon.  I was almost embarrassed when they celebrated a division championship with a ceremony there.

I know how you feel, but you kind of have to celebrate whatever you can.  Winning the AL East is no piece of cake these days.   Hopefully we’ll get a WS trophy sometime in the next decade now that the rebuild period is over and we have the foundation to compete in place.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty sure he means good players who had a positive impact on the Orioles during the OPACY era.

Honestly Jack Cust is a better representation of what we've seen over the years then most of that list.

BuT JaCk CuSt wAs PrEtTy GoOd hE jUsT gOt A RaW DeAl hEre aNd iS rEmEmBeReD FoR OnE UnFoRtUnAtE MoMeNt!!!!111

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

BuT JaCk CuSt wAs PrEtTy GoOd hE jUsT gOt A RaW DeAl hEre aNd iS rEmEmBeReD FoR OnE UnFoRtUnAtE MoMeNt!!!!111

You're making me really miss OFFNY's alternating orange and black letters.