First Orioles Home Game

AZOriole

It's been a while since I've posted in this amazing forum. I've been an Orioles fan since the late 70s (according to my dad). And due to logistics (lived in Arizona for the past 20+ years; NY and MI before that), I've never been to Baltimore. Let alone an Orioles home game. I've recently moved to central Florida and am looking to make a road trip to catch an Orioles game (or two or three). Does anyone have recommendations for where to stay/things to do/places to go? I plan on driving up and sp nding at least a day or two. I don't have a game or series in mind. But I'd like to head up there before the end of the season (at this rate, it could be October)

Thanks in advance for any info. I truly appreciate it.

• Like 1

I meant Howard county MD, not PWC VA.  Sorry.
For someone who went to law school at night in b’more and got his car stolen a few times , junky as it looked, I stand by what I said about the city.  

So stay in Howard county or in a hotel by BWI airport, and go to fort mchenry.

And, don’t go into one of the large homeless tents that you see everywhere on the sides of the roads in b’more.

Edited by Chelsea_Phil

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

I meant Howard county MD, not PWC VA.  Sorry.
For someone who went to law school at night in b’more and got his car stolen a few times , junky as it looked, I stand by what I said about the city.  

So stay in Howard county or in a hotel by BWI airport, and go to fort mchenry.

And, don’t go into one of the large homeless tents that you see everywhere on the sides of the roads in b’more.

You’re still being unnecessarily dramatic, even if you had bad luck with your car. Maybe one guy just really, really liked your Dodge Dart, who knows? The rest of the area is “sort of safe”? 

And why in the world would anyone just wander into a large tent on the side of the road? 

Is that you, Cito Gaston?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback so far. Ideally, I'd be staying within walking distance to the park. And yeah - I already plan on avoiding NYY/BOS games.

I've also been looking into the ballpark tour option that I found on the O's website. So xe I've never been, I've been kicking the idea around of "paying up" for that experience. Whether it's worth it or not, I don't know. But it sounds fun.

I have lived in Ridgely's Delight, the neighborhood adjacent to Camden Yards for over a decade. There is an historic bed and breakfast called Rachael's Dowry there that I would recommend if you want to be in walking distance of the stadium but prefer not to stay in one of the hotels. There are also Airbnbs in my neighborhood, one is right next to Rachael's Dowry

There is plenty to see and do in the Inner Harbor area and pretty much all of the neighborhoods around the harbor (Federal Hill, Fells Point, Canton), or up Charles Street in Mount Vernon (check out the original Washington Monument!). Fort McHenry is cool. September is also the best time to get fresh steamed crabs as they are at their biggest but demand is lower than in the summer so prices are lower.

The stadium tour is pretty neat, I expected it to be lame, having been to Camden Yards so many times, but you get to go into the dugout and the pressbox which is pretty cool.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Restaurants in Little Italy are great and within easy walking distance. Isabella's has fantastic pizza.

I just went to Isabella's on Saturday for the first time in at least 6 months. We rarely have pizza on the weekend and it is a hassle to get across Pratt during rush hour so I never go during the week, but it was really good.

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I always found it cheaper to stay outside the city (say Timonium) and take the Light Rail in. Is that even still in operation?

The light rail is in operation but I would recommend staying in the city, as there is so much more to see and do. 

I know some people are country mice that aren't comfortable in cities, but there isn't a city in the US where I couldn't happily spend a few days, especially if there are baseball games to attend.

• Upvote 1

I personally never mind coming to see the Sox or the Yankees.  Prices for everything are higher.  And yes, they take over the stadium.  But my opinion is that says a whole lot more about us than it does them.  

That said, If I were coming for a weekend series and wanted to stay in town, I like the Residence Inn.  It's close enough to the park to walk and it's at the Harbor so you can be right at everything else.

If you haven't been in a city, there are things you will walk by at night that are not great.  Get a cab if you are uncomfortable. But still it's not a long walk.

I live in the country.  I haven't lived in a city in 30 years.  I don't mind going to the city.  I don't mind going to Baltimore.  I think some people see the deteriorating city and push away.  Other's look for the things that are still nice.  They are both right.

Things change.  I still go to Sabatino's even though there are better rated places in Little Italy.  But I have so many memories from dining there with good friends in the 90's as the park was being built and even dining there with my wife and kids before a game.  

I hope you make it up @AZ Oriole and make your own memories.  But just like if you came to my farm to take in the sights. It's a beautiful place, but if you don't pay attention to your surroundings, you're likely to step in something you don't want to step in.

Good luck!

• Upvote 2

One of the best parts about OPACY is that it very easy to get to via 395 on the west side of the city. You don’t HAVE to drive through the city to get to it. There’s a nice new parking garage on the corner of Light and Conway a few blocks away. 

There will likely be a decent sized crowd too, considering the teams recent success.

Baltimore is a city just like most others. Inner Harbor and the attractions are generally safe, but keep your head on a swivel.