Trey Mancini Traded to the Astros

RVAOsFan

8 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

It better be Diaz over Stowers simply because Diaz was on the trip. I hope we see Stowers in a matter of days.

The only players we knew of that were on the taxi squad were Bemboom and Reyes. So does this mean Santander is getting traded too?

McDermott was just drafted last year so having him in Hi-A is not unusual.  I suspect he was one of those players that got an extra year of eligibility due to the NCAA losing 2020 to COVID.  Given that we're only losing two months of Trey, I think this is a very good return, even with Johnson's TJS.

• Upvote 2

I have to say this is more of a return than I was expecting.  I was thinking we might get a low-ceiling reliever and a lottery ticket.  Obviously Johnson's value to the Rays was diminished because of the injury and roster crunch, but that doesn't make him a bad player.  Given that we can wait a bit on him, this has a higher upside than I would have thought.  

Obviously Mancini will be missed, and his value a leader and clubhouse presence will be sorely missed, but baseball-wise we got a good return here.

First of all, if we had to trade Trey, I’m glad he was traded to a team that’s a mortal lock to make the playoffs and has a legit chance to win a World Series.   If the O’s aren’t in it, I’ll be rooting for the Astros now.  

Second, I like the return.  I guess we have to protect Seth Johnson in the Rule 5 even though he may not pitch next year, which is a bit of a bummer.   But for a pitching-thin organization, this was a good move.   

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

September 22, 23, 24, 25: At OPACY.

Lot of emotion then.    A dozen-ish games before the end of the year, we might still be in striking distance of league 6th place.

Not sure if Astros and Yankees will fight hard for 1st, or rest Arms.

Edited by Just Regular

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm also stoked that the guy we're getting is about to get TJ.  

If he wasn't about to get TJ we wouldn't be getting nearly as good of a prospect in return. 

Two ways to look at it.  Elias is looking long term.