Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

To me this is right there with the Bundy trade, which is not Elias' most exciting trade. I think it's fair value or just under fair, depending on your feelings about the players. Clearly the O's like these players, so we will judge them in the years to come. 

I do wonder if this indicates we've got more cooking just in the sense that collectively, Mancini/Lopez/Santander trades could look very good when put together. So far it looks like one quality trade and one quantity trade. 6 pitchers for Lopez and Mancini. 

If you're selling, you might as well sell the guy who opens a spot for some of your prospects in Santander. I think it's basically a lock that it happens at this point. 

1 minute ago, Sydnor said:

You’re not going to change my mind and I’m not going to change your mind, so I’ll agree to disagree and move on.

My mind is not made up.  There's too much I don't know yet.   Same as everyone else that's jumping to conclusions.

• Upvote 4

Prev:

povich-cade.thumb.jpg.1a8b4f63241969d94c0a8c343fce3331.jpg

Cade Povich

• Cedar Rapids Kernels - A+
  • SP

Collapse Scouting Report

• Bats: L / Throws: L
  • Rule 5 Eligible: After 2024 Season
  • Acquisition Method: Draft

Scouting Report

June 2022 Update
One of the fastest-rising arm stocks in the system alongside Marco Raya. Povich threw only 10 innings in the Twins system after being drafted in the third round last year, so he's now acclimating to full-season pro competition for the first time. His strikeout rate suggests he's overmatching Single-A hitters at Cedar Rapids, which is unsurprising for a 22-year-old highly drafted college pitcher. If he can reach the high minors and establish himself as a near-ready option in the second half that'd be helpful, because left-handed starters is a clear area of scarcity for the Twins.

https://twinsdaily.com/minnesota-twins-top-prospects-rankings/2022/

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Do we have any scouting reports on the two FCL pitchers?    Without knowing more about them it's premature to pass judgement on the deal.

No scouting reports yet, as I said I going off age and pedigree (lack of huge signing bonus). Some guys are late bloomers, and the very rare player like Bautista does end up floundering in the DSL into his early 20s before finding success but age and level are a reasonable indicator of chances of success at the DSL and complex league.

Maybe Elias is the smartest guy in the room, but nobody else is gushing about this trade either.

Edited by MurphDogg

The only thing that makes sense for me is that they maybe didn't think Lopez would maintain his success at that level and wanted to get what they could for him now. 

I could see him regressing next year and then having basically no value. Who knows..

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

My mind is not made up.  There's too much I don't know yet.   Same as everyone else that's jumping to conclusions.

I think you like what you see from the 18y/o and Povich.  I think we can agree that the other 2 have some upside but there is a lot of risk and far more likely they become nothing.

The return isn’t enough to justify dealing Lopez imo, especially since you should be a contender in 2023.

I do have a concern over the morale of the team.  I know they know it's a rebuild but you trade one really good clubhouse guy and another who found himself in the pen.  Also, we may be a mirage but we are 1 game above .500 and technically contending.  How are these players supposed to feel when they see this happening?  

Funny how when folks approve of a deal/decision made by Elias no one says anything but when someone questions a deal/decision we suddenly don't have enough information to judge.

Newsflash, we never have enough information but we're still allowed to have opinions based off the information we have.

• Upvote 2