Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

I am irate at this deal. The Mancini deal made sense. The Orioles aren't even getting back any top prospects in this one, it makes zero sense for this year, next year, or 2024. Do any of these guys even crack the O's top 30? 

4 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

No, but I think they could have certainly held out to negotiate with another team. Things can and do change in the final hours. I think we made a deal too early and settled for a mediocre package.

I’m guessing this isn’t remotely true although I agree the package is uninspiring.

• Haha 1

Extremely disappointing return.

Povich could turn into something, but Lopez was one of the best closers in baseball this year and was under team control for two more seasons.

Cano is 28 and his walk rate has been pretty lousy in his two minor league seasons and was even worse in the Majors this year.

Can't cast aspersions on Dominican lottery tickets but Nunez is too old for the complex league at 21, Rojas is at least age appropriate (18) and having success in the complex league.

Given that they hope to be good while Lopez was under team control and this seemingly uninspiring return, I don't care for this trade at all.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1

On initial look, this seems to be much less value returning than an AllStar closer with controllable years to another AL contender should return.  No ML piece at all and even questionable that the main piece, Povich, will not be Cody Sedlock lol.  Hope I am wrong.  Will trust Elias et al know much more than me.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Brooks The Great said:

How can you possibly say it's not remotely true that Elias couldn't have continued negotiating with other teams closer to the end of the deadline? That's a ridiculous thing to say.

He has likely been trying to trade Lopez for weeks.  I doubt all of a sudden huge deals would be coming in.  If he could have gotten more, he would have.  He’s not punting on getting better talent so he can go out to lunch.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

Without knowing more, I absolutely would have held on to Lopez if this is the best they can get.  Really waiting on an explanation here.  Make it make sense..

At first glance I have to agree Lopez is under team control through 2024 and if this is the best Elias can get right now why not just hold onto Lopez. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, accinfo said:

I think this regime deserves some benefit of the doubt regarding evaluating talent.  They have done pretty well with the current crop of bullpen arms they have brought in this year.  I don't think they did this trade just to do it.  Their scouts must like these guys.

Agree here. They wouldn't dump him just to make room.