Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

Just now, luismatos4prez said:

This is a Bundy-style quantity over quality trade. Unexciting, I thought we'd get more for a controllable all-star closer.

At first glance, Povich seems like a Drew Rom level prospect. The two young guys, Nunez and Rojas, have great numbers but are very young and far away. Cano seems like a waiver wire type pickup. 

Nunez isn’t young. A 21 year old in the complex league is more likely than not a “never will be” org player.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'll wait to hear what experts have to say, but it does seem like more of a grab bag type deal for Lopez hoping one or two of the players become productive MLB players. 

I'm sure Mike and the gang think they see something here, but I would have preferred at least one obvious high-end prospect for multiple years of an AS closer. These guys all seem like projects, but then again, I don't get paid to evaluate professional baseball players so... :noidea:

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I am irate at this deal. The Mancini deal made sense. The Orioles aren't even getting back any top prospects in this one, it makes zero sense for this year, next year, or 2024. Do any of these guys even crack the O's top 30? 

I'm surprised by your reaction.  Do you know anything about the 2 pitching prospects in the FCL?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He has likely been trying to trade Lopez for weeks.  I doubt all of a sudden huge deals would be coming in.  If he could have gotten more, he would have.  He’s not punting on getting better talent so he can go out to lunch.

You clearly have followed baseball for years, so you know full well that trade deadlines always have last minute deals, and other trades can change the equation for what teams need and make available to trade. The Orioles agreed to this trade several hours before the deadline. 

I don't disagree that Elias has been checking on deals for Lopez for weeks. However, I completely disagree with you that other deals couldn't have come in. And no, I'm not expecting a "huge deal". But it's perfectly reasonable to expect other options and teams to negotiate with to manifest prior to the deadline. That's how lots of deals have gotten done in the past.

Not going to further waste my time arguing this, since you clearly enjoy confrontation and have a history of focusing on hypothetical points in order to do so. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

This is a decent trade Povich is a fast riser and even though he ranked a little lower in preseason rankings.  I expect he would have been much higher up that list 4/1 strikeout to walk rate in first season of professional ball is impressive.

He is fine as a piece of a trade return, but based solely on pedigree, age, and stat lines it is tough to see Cano and Nunez as anything other than throw-ins and Rojas as anything other than a lottery ticket.

That just isn't close to enough for 2 and a third years of a guy who has looked like a dominant reliever since moving to the bullpen and has a sub-2 ERA this year with peripherals to support that ERA.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1

Maybe wait an hour to see before passing judgement on guys none of us have heard of prior to today?

The Twins Daily write up sounds pretty good considering. #10 prospect +?

Also worth noting if everyone on here is talking about SSS and selling high that the professionals know that too.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

Nunez isn’t young. A 21 year old in the complex league is more likely than not a “never will be” org player.

It's not the same with pitchers.  Felix Bautisa was still in the DSL at age 22 (according to Melewski.  I didn't fact check).

2 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Maybe wait an hour to see before passing judgement on guys none of us have heard of prior to today?

The Twins Daily write up sounds pretty good considering. #10 prospect +?

Also worth noting if everyone on here is talking about SSS and selling high that the professionals know that too.

#10 ??

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He is fine as a piece of a trade return, but based solely on pedigree, age, and stat lines it is tough to see Cano and Nunez as anything other than throw-ins and Rojas as anything other than a lottery ticket.

That just isn't close to enough for 2 and a third years of a guy who has looked like a dominant reliever since moving to the bullpen and has a sub-2 ERA this year with peripherals to support that ERA.

Do we have any scouting reports on the two FCL pitchers?    Without knowing more about them it's premature to pass judgement on the deal.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

He doesn't have to be in that league with the Orioles. Maybe they throw him right into A ball. 

Perhaps. It doesn’t change my assessment. If the Twins thought he was good, he wouldn’t be in the complex league. I think that the organization decided they didn’t want to pay Lopez what he was going to make in Arb 2. This is what they got for him. I don’t like it, and I’m not going to try to talk myself into it.

• Upvote 2