Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

55 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Ken Rosenthal is still alive.  Mock away.

The whole Murray wasn’t running hard enough to first base. Meanwhile, we’ve had three guys get injured this year trying to beat out grounders.  Hays, Mateo, and Mullins. I’d even guess that Gunnar running hard on Friday night in the 9th wasn’t the best for his back. 

I also love how this thread gets bumped after a bad outing by Lopez that will jack his ERA up for the season. I guess in hindsight I was wrong for wanting a team not to sell anyone when they were in playoff contention 75% of the way through the season. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The whole Murray wasn’t running hard enough to first base. Meanwhile, we’ve had three guys get injured this year trying to beat out grounders.  Hays, Mateo, and Mullins. I’d even guess that Gunnar running hard on Friday night in the 9th wasn’t the best for his back. 

I also love how this thread gets bumped after a bad outing by Lopez that will jack his ERA up for the season. I guess in hindsight I was wrong for wanting a team not to sell anyone when they were in playoff contention 75% of the way through the season. 

I showed you his numbers for his 50 appearances with the Twins.   Are those the numbers of a shutdown reliever.   If he had done that with us in high leverage situations many would be calling for him to be replaced or demoted to low leverage situations.   

• Upvote 3

On 6/4/2023 at 2:40 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

I also love how this thread gets bumped after a bad outing by Lopez that will jack his ERA up for the season. 

I find this post extremely ironic, since you are the one who bumped this thread after the bullpen had a couple of bad days in early April.   Live by the bump, die by the bump.   

For me, the trade is yesterday’s news and I’d be happy to relegate updates on Lopez’s performance to the ex-Orioles thread in the MLB forum.   

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2023 at 2:40 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

“A bad outing” ?? 

“But things have gotten very tough since April, as Looez has been scored upon in eight of his last 14 appearances, a 12-inning stretch in which he has allowed nine walks, four hit batters and six home runs -- including five long balls in his last five appearances. He only allowed four homers during the entire 2022 season.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/twins-jorge-lopez-recent-struggles-continue-vs-guardians

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I find this post extremely ironic, since you are the one who bumped this thread after the bullpen had a couple of bad days in early April.   Live by the bump, die by the bump.   

For me, the trade is yesterday’s news and I’d be happy to relegate updates on Lopez’s performance to the ex-Orioles thread in the MLB forum.   

So... our bullpen was in shambles last year after the Lopez trade.  It was in shambles early this year... and it's in shambles right now other than Bautista and.. Cano that just fell out of nowhere.  We're relying on Cano continuing to have a Gagne/Britton type of year.  Yup, relying on Cano this much was predictable and is sustainable.  Totally justifies trading Lopez.

My point is... how bad off would we be without Cano?  We missed the playoffs by 2 games last year when we had to rely on Khriebel and Jake Reed.  Where would we be this year?  Hence, why I think trading Lopez last year was a bad move.  Cano has been a miracle.  

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

“A bad outing” ?? 

“But things have gotten very tough since April, as Looez has been scored upon in eight of his last 14 appearances, a 12-inning stretch in which he has allowed nine walks, four hit batters and six home runs -- including five long balls in his last five appearances. He only allowed four homers during the entire 2022 season.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/twins-jorge-lopez-recent-struggles-continue-vs-guardians

So Bautista replaced Lopez post trade.  Who replaced Bautista last year?  Khriebel, and Reed both have been DFA'd.  Imagine if we didn't luck into Cano and our bullpen was what it was to start the season?  And Cano is a miracle and came out of nowhere.  He wasn't even getting alot of innings in ST.  Logan Gilaspie beat him out.  Let that sink in.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So... our bullpen was in shambles last year after the Lopez trade.  It was in shambles early this year... and it's in shambles right now other than Bautista and.. Cano that just fell out of nowhere.  We're relying on Cano continuing to have a Gagne/Britton type of year.  Yup, relying on Cano this much was predictable and is sustainable.  Totally justifies trading Lopez.

My point is... how bad off would we be without Cano?  We missed the playoffs by 2 games last year when we had to rely on Khriebel and Jake Reed.  Where would we be this year?  Hence, why I think trading Lopez last year was a bad move.  Cano has been a miracle.  

I'm having a hard time determining if this post is attempted sarcasm. I don't recall our bullpen being a shambles, it is not a shambles now. Yes, Cano has been excellent but he came in the Lopez trade so how can that be a bad move? 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Huh?? Our bullpen would be way worse right now if we hadn’t made the trade. We’d just be substituting Lopez for Cano. That’s a big downgrade. Plus we wouldn’t have Povich. Not sure why you keep arguing this ridiculous point. Just take the L and move on. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm having a hard time determining if this post is attempted sarcasm. I don't recall our bullpen being a shambles, it is not a shambles now. Yes, Cano has been excellent but he came in the Lopez trade so how can that be a bad move? 

We missed the playoffs by two games last year.  Khreibel and Reed were terrible in August/September, post the Lopez trade.  I guess selling and narrowly missing the playoffs have no connection at all.  

When you miss the playoffs by only two games you start to reflect back at what could've gone differently.  If not for cost control, we could've had Adley up here sooner(we lost that extra year because of ROY voting), and we could've had Lopez.  

Also, trading Lopez led us to signing Givens.  So Elias compounded that error.  Cano becoming Eric Gagne wasn't predicted or he would've been given more looks in ST.  I'm glad we got lucky, but we got lucky as all get out.