Orioles Trade Deadline Rumors and Predictions

RVAOsFan

Understand that Elias is looking big long term picture here but the fact that he's done nothing so far to improve the MLB club (i.e. getting a controllable MLB starter) that is still technically in a WC race is ridiculous to me. Who freggin cares if you eek into the playoffs and are one and done? It is exciting for the fans and helps the current players get the experience. I know I am in the minority here but just my 0.02..

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dtk9119 said:

Understand that Elias is looking big long term picture here but the fact that he's done nothing so far to improve the MLB club (i.e. getting a controllable MLB starter) that is still technically in a WC race is ridiculous to me. Who freggin cares if you eek into the playoffs and are one and done? It is exciting for the fans and helps the current players get the experience. I know I am in the minority here but just my 0.02..

I don't think it's ridiculous, but I would love to see a surprise trade for a Pablo Lopez to set us up more for 2023. I'm on record saying (even last week before we dealt Mancini and before we lost 2 of 3 to the Reds that I see this team as a 78ish win team right now. I don't think you trade away prospects for now on a team that's not quite there yet. That said, you can certainly trade prospects for 2023 and 2024 and get the benefit of now while you're at it. 

Still, I do think our record has prevented more trades from Elias. I think had we been 10 games worse in the standings right now, we would have seen Santander gone, Tate gone, Urias gone, Lyles gone, and maybe even one of Hays or Mullins gone. And, of course, there's still a couple hours to go....but...

We are still sellers, but we are more limited sellers. We are trading away guys for the best package available. We are only trading guys for packages that Elias likes. And while we aren't all sure on the Lopez deal, there were certainly things about the guys we got that Elias and Sig were targeting. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You have to sell Lyles now. No point in keeping him. Might as well sell Santander and Tate. 

I agree about Santander, but I'm on the fence about Lyles. There's a lot of games left and a lot of innings that we hoped were going to Wells, Rodriguez, Hall, etc. Those guys aren't going to fill many of those innings now. 

I guess you could try to limp by with Zimmermann, maybe Hall until he has to be shut down... uhhh, anybody else? Harvey??

I could see it. But it also feels needlessly dicey for the meager return you'd get. Also - does Lyles even have a market right now?

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

I think the consensus around here for a while has been trading an OF like Santander is our best shot at getting a controllable starter.  I could see Elias throwing in some mid level prospects to get a guy he wants but not headlining with any of our top 10 prospects.

I wonder at this point what controllable starter might be obtainable? Sounds like starting pitching prices are high around the league.  Snell was mentioned previously but now that the Padres traded for Soto I doubt that is an option.

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

I think the consensus around here for a while has been trading an OF like Santander is our best shot at getting a controllable starter.  I could see Elias throwing in some mid level prospects to get a guy he wants but not headlining with any of our top 10 prospects.

I wonder at this point what controllable starter might be obtainable? Sounds like starting pitching prices are high around the league.  Snell was mentioned previously but now that the Padres traded for Soto I doubt that is an option.

Well it depends on the luxury tax thing they were reportedly worried about, especially since Hosmer said no to DC

7 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

How long will it take for the O's to be a contender again?

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You have to sell Lyles now. No point in keeping him. Might as well sell Santander and Tate. 

I think it is important to keep enough of this team together to remain competitive the rest of this season.  Trading Santander and bringing up Stowers is fine but if we trade Lyles the bullpen is going to get taxed in a hurry and I think it could get ugly.

Just now, interloper said:

I agree about Santander, but I'm on the fence about Lyles. There's a lot of games left and a lot of innings that we hoped were going to Wells, Rodriguez, Hall, etc. Those guys aren't going to fill many of those innings now. 

I guess you could try to limp by with Zimmermann, maybe Hall until he has to be shut down... uhhh, anybody else? Harvey??

I could see it. But it also feels needlessly dicey for the meager return you'd get.

Give away:

Lyles and Odor(don’t lol)

Might as well trade:

Santander and Tate

Wouldn’t be surprised:

Hays and Mullins

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well it depends on the luxury tax thing they were reportedly worried about, especially since Hosmer said no to DC

Sounds like Hosmer went to the Red Sox and they picked up some of his salary.  They also traded Gore so I don't how much surplus pitching they would still have to trade if they are going to make a run at it.