Orioles get Brett Phillips

RVAOsFan

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

My big question is whose roster spot does Phillips get?   Seems bizarre to bring Diaz up only to send him back down again.

Phillps replaces Mancini on the 40 man roster. 

I think he will replace Hays on the 26 man roster with Hays going on the IL but that is just my guess.   Otherwise Diaz gets sent back down.  Diaz did not really earn a promotion to the majors anyway.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Why Phillips?  Here is my guess.

Hays is going on the IL.    He has been hit on the wrist several times and hurt it diving in the outfield.   Over the last 15 days he is hitting 158/250/211/461.

Hays is a 5 tool player when he is healthy but he does try to play hurt and his production suffers.   The O's have a huge left field to cover and they want a speedy outfielder to fill in while Hays  is on the IL.

Hyde will still want a speedy outfielder to be a defensively replacement for Santander.  McKenna has been filling that role.

Vavra is the DH.  He has average speed.   No where close to the speed of Phillips.

The O's have been winning over the last 15 days even with Hays not hitting.  So playing Phillips should not keep the O's from winning.

Why not just bring up Stowers and save some money? What more does Stowers have to do to prove he is ready for a chance? What is the point of manipulating service time with him when you have Cowser and Kjerstad on his heels anyway?

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Why Phillips?  Here is my guess.

Hays is going on the IL.    He has been hit on the wrist several times and hurt it diving in the outfield.   Over the last 15 days he is hitting 158/250/211/461.

Hays is a 5 tool player when he is healthy but he does try to play hurt and his production suffers.   The O's have a huge left field to cover and they want a speedy outfielder to fill in while Hays  is on the IL.

Hyde will still want a speedy outfielder to be a defensively replacement for Santander.  McKenna has been filling that role.

Vavra is the DH.  He has average speed.   No where close to the speed of Phillips.

The O's have been winning over the last 15 days even with Hays not hitting.  So playing Phillips should not keep the O's from winning.

Not a bad guess.  I agree Hays is banged up and that a two week break would probably get him fully healed up.  But honestly I’d rather bring up Stowers than watch Phillips.  

I'm confused by it, but I don't hate the move.  Phillips has been god awful this year no doubt, but if you squint you can still see the justification as a lefty platoon bat and elite defensive replacement.

Last year he put up a 138 wRC+ against RHPs versus a 13 (ouch!) against LHPs.  Maybe Elias thinks he can tweak something to help him find that success he had last year or maybe he gets the benefit of getting away from the Tampa batter's eye too? He had a pretty severe home/road split last year.  Relatively low risk option to see if something can click, if not DFA him and try one of the youngsters again.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Phillps replaces Mancini on the 40 man roster. 

I think he will replace Hays on the 26 man roster with Hays going on the IL but that is just my guess.   Otherwise Diaz gets sent back down.  Diaz did not really earn a promotion to the majors anyway.

Why would Hays go on the IL?

Phillips has a .565 OPS against right-handed pitchers this year (.057 against left-handed pitchers...that's not a typo).  Maybe Wildcard is right and Hays is headed to the IL, but I still don't see why the Os would waste money and a roster spot on Phillips. He's going to stink even against RHP. I still don't get this move at all. 

15 minutes ago, Aglets said:

My big question is whose roster spot does Phillips get?   Seems bizarre to bring Diaz up only to send him back down again.

I would like to see him take Nevins roster spot.  I think we have enough flexibility to get by without having him on the roster if Hyde is willing to let Vavra play 2B.  Mix Diaz into the lineup a little bit over the next few weeks to give him some opportunities if he doesn't show anything then send him down for Stowers.

I agree with WC that Hays should go on the DL.  What I don’t agree with is that you make this decision over Stowers.  

There isn’t a justifiable position to bring in Phillips at this point.  If you were trading Mullins, then it was justifiable.  But you didn’t, so he serves no purpose by taking a roster spot and playing time away from guys who should be here, namely Stowers.  

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not a bad guess.  I agree Hays is banged up and that a two week break would probably get him fully healed up.  But honestly I’d rather bring up Stowers than watch Phillips.  

27 strikeouts in 79 at bats (34%) in July may have something to do with that.  Maybe they don't think he is ready. 

16 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I would like to see him take Nevins roster spot.  I think we have enough flexibility to get by without having him on the roster if Hyde is willing to let Vavra play 2B.  Mix Diaz into the lineup a little bit over the next few weeks to give him some opportunities if he doesn't show anything then send him down for Stowers.

With Mancini gone, Nevin is the backup 1B.