Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?

interloper

Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/22 at 17:26

7 hours ago, oriolefan1035 said:

Elias said during the broadcast today (2nd inning?) that there are guys in Norfolkwho would help in the stretch run. I didn’t get the impression he was talking about Harvey and Baumann.

He said there are guys at Norfolk we are "watching closely" and I believe it was "could" rather than "would". Reading the tea leaves, I didn't take it as a firm commitment. Could be Stowers more so than Gunnar. I am still prepared to be disappointed.

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

He said there are guys at Norfolk we are "watching closely" and I believe it was "could" rather than "would". Reading the tea leaves, I didn't take it as a firm commitment. Could be Stowers more so than Gunnar. I am still prepared to be disappointed.

And you should be, Stowers would be here if that’s the intention. The Phillips acquisition tells you everything you need to know. I think you might see Martin but I doubt he’d give up a year for Henderson.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

And you should be, Stowers would be here if that’s the intention. The Phillips acquisition tells you everything you need to know. I think you might see Martin but I doubt he’d give up a year for Henderson.

I don't disagree but it's all a moot point if Henderson finishes top two in ROY voting.  We might be getting the worst of both worlds if Rutschman does.  The lost year of service time AND no pick.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Phillips/McKenna is the 4th OF. Stowers could still replace Mancini. I think Stowers has a better chance than Henderson.

10 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'm not sure I understand the 40 man roster issue.  If we don't promote Gunnar this year then he doesn't have to be added to the 40 man roster this offseason, but presumably he's going to be promoted early next season, so at that point he would need to go on the 40 man, and someone would have to be bumped.  So we either bump a marginal guy off the 40 man now, or we do it early next season--what's the difference?  

The rules around who has to be on the 40 man are different at different times in the season. So right now all the guys on the 60day dl (eg Means) aren’t on the 40 man. They’ll have to be added back on in the fall, and can then be taken off in the spring.

Also all the rule v drafts Elias is going to want, and fringe bullpen pieces 

10 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'm not sure I understand the 40 man roster issue.  If we don't promote Gunnar this year then he doesn't have to be added to the 40 man roster this offseason, but presumably he's going to be promoted early next season, so at that point he would need to go on the 40 man, and someone would have to be bumped.  So we either bump a marginal guy off the 40 man now, or we do it early next season--what's the difference?  

The difference is the O's get a seventh year of control over Henderson by waiting to promote him until two to three weeks in 2023.

The Orioles, yesterday notwithstanding, continue to play well.  I voted no on Henderson, but I would not be surprised if he is.

In general, Elias is going to disappoint anyone who believes he should make sacrifices for the future to maximize the current success.  It is a mistake to see decisions like that as a negative.  DD said on day one the Orioles were going to win and win now.  Elias has said he is building a consistent contender.

Many want Henderson, Stowers, Hall, Grayson to come up to help now.  Personally I don't see that happening at all.  IF they come up it will be to get a taste of what is going on...it will be for their benefit...for the future.

The roster crunch is a good thing but is likely a bit overblown.  There should be no real reason to worry about the 40 man this winter unless Elias literally started bringing everyone up now.  And that just isn't gonna happen.

The Irony is, of course, that many complain here that the team will be destroyed with the trades and the O's run off 5 straight wins.  Then after begging to move Odor off second...he is finally moved and the O's are shellacked.

The results of this year have allowed the fan in me to whet my appetite for good Oriole baseball.  It has also allowed the fan in me to give a lot more benefit of the doubt to Hyde, Elias, etc.  I mean Mateo at SS in March was the Orioles still seeking the #1 draft pick.  Now there are a few who believe he could be traded this winter for SP.  

Its fun to complain.  O's fans have had 30 years of mostly complaining.  I am loving this season....and the only thing I can really think of that would excite me more was a headline that said Orioles to be sold to local group.  This is ground floor stuff baby and I am here for all of it!  Drink it up!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I listened to Elias yesterday on an in game radio interview. He talked up Gunnar in a lot of ways, finally saying “he is forcing us to have discussions”. But then he followed up with comments about completely developing a player of his value importance so that they help for the next decade. He said that is the most important factor.  I took his comments to mean that Henderson is not coming up. 

14 minutes ago, foxfield said:

The Orioles, yesterday notwithstanding, continue to play well.  I voted no on Henderson, but I would not be surprised if he is.

In general, Elias is going to disappoint anyone who believes he should make sacrifices for the future to maximize the current success.  It is a mistake to see decisions like that as a negative.  DD said on day one the Orioles were going to win and win now.  Elias has said he is building a consistent contender.

Many want Henderson, Stowers, Hall, Grayson to come up to help now.  Personally I don't see that happening at all.  IF they come up it will be to get a taste of what is going on...it will be for their benefit...for the future.

The roster crunch is a good thing but is likely a bit overblown.  There should be no real reason to worry about the 40 man this winter unless Elias literally started bringing everyone up now.  And that just isn't gonna happen.

The Irony is, of course, that many complain here that the team will be destroyed with the trades and the O's run off 5 straight wins.  Then after begging to move Odor off second...he is finally moved and the O's are shellacked.

The results of this year have allowed the fan in me to whet my appetite for good Oriole baseball.  It has also allowed the fan in me to give a lot more benefit of the doubt to Hyde, Elias, etc.  I mean Mateo at SS in March was the Orioles still seeking the #1 draft pick.  Now there are a few who believe he could be traded this winter for SP.  

Its fun to complain.  O's fans have had 30 years of mostly complaining.  I am loving this season....and the only thing I can really think of that would excite me more was a headline that said Orioles to be sold to local group.  This is ground floor stuff baby and I am here for all of it!  Drink it up!

So much this! 

The team's paradigm constraints are (in general) not Elias/Hyde related.  Humans (fans particularly) are fickle and emotional.  So even as we complain, let's remember to enjoy the moments and see the big picture too!

The earliest we'll see the Next Wave will be after they can maintain rookie elig for 2023.  The hope stacking the deck with talent to increase the odds of an extra pick is too great.  But even then, it depends on where the team is in the hunt (because the extra year at the end is a motivator too).  The tension between the long-term/short-term priorities is 'interesting' to speculate on.  To the team's/roster's credit, they've hung around much longer than pretty much anyone thought they would!  

Many people didn’t want Adley brought up last year because did service time.

Well, if he keeps this up, they will be losing that extra year of service time.  We could have called Adley up last May and his service time ends up being the same as calling him this May.  

But yea, let’s just keep everyone down, ignore what the team is doing now and hope “for the best” in 2023.  Maybe we will be lucky enough that they don’t perform well enough!

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, if he keeps this up, they will be losing that extra year of service time.  We could have called Adley up last May and his service time ends up being the same as calling him this May.  

But yea, let’s just keep everyone down, ignore what the team is doing now and hope “for the best” in 2023.  Maybe we will be lucky enough that they don’t perform well enough!

The team is doing what they are doing now because they didn't do a lot of things you said they should do, like find a better SS.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Even through the lens of hind site is always 20/20.  You make tons of hay arguing against whatever the team does.  No one blames you as the team has been run pretty terribly as this weekends 30 year celebration unfortunately highlights.

But literally no one...makes the argument that you do above.  And even if anyone here does....Ellias isn't and that is all that really matters.  

For you, one of two things is going on presently.  Either the Orioles are going through arguably one of the single luckiest longshot seasons in the history of baseball.  Or you are wrong that ME and his team are not trying to win.

Either way, it seems that you continue to stick to the idea that current decisions are made because the team is not trying to win....or that decisions are made specifically due to organizational rankings.

Regarding Adley, he could have come up in April last year....after an entire season was missed due to covid.  He may have performed as he has this year...he could have performed better...and of course he may have performed worse.  All indications are that he would have been on the opening day roster this year if healthy.  He got here when he got here... the first real piece acquired by ME.  Are we really going to bash Elias for putting Adley in position to win a ROY?  This isn't a Dean Smith holding Michael Jordan under 20 a game thing.

• Like 1