Have We Reached Our High Water Mark?

WarehouseChatter

Looking at "high water mark" from a somewhat different angle, I note that though the Orioles are currently 12 games behind the Yankees, that still leaves them four games closer to first place in the AL East than the San Diego Padres are to first place in the AL West.  I'm pretty sure nobody expected the Orioles would ever be closer to first than the Padres, let alone by four full games.

I don't really expect it'll stay that way.  The Dodgers, under virtually no pressure, will probably start playing with a little less intensity,  which will give the star-studded Padres a chance to draw closer, particularly if Tatis comes back and starts playing the way he used to.

2 minutes ago, WillyM said:

Looking at "high water mark" from a somewhat different angle, I note that though the Orioles are currently 12 games behind the Yankees, that still leaves them four games closer to first place in the AL East than the San Diego Padres are to first place in the AL West.  I'm pretty sure nobody expected the Orioles would ever be closer to first than the Padres, let alone by four full games.

I don't really expect it'll stay that way.  The Dodgers, under virtually no pressure, will probably start playing with a little less intensity,  which will give the star-studded Padres a chance to draw closer, particularly if Tatis comes back and starts playing the way he used to.

Last year we finished 55 games worse than the San Francisco Giants.

Right now our record is 4.5 games better than theirs.  

A long way to go, but I wonder if a team has ever finished with a better record than a team that was 55+ games better than them the year before???

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Last year we finished 55 games worse than the San Francisco Giants.

Right now our record is 4.5 games better than theirs.  

A long way to go, but I wonder if a team has ever finished with a better record than a team that was 55+ games better than them the year before???

Wow I didn't realize that.  I still have no idea how that Giants team won 107 games.  107?!?!  That roster was about a 77 win roster on paper.  I know the Giants routinely overachieve, but last year was truly amazing.  The sheer volume of nobodies who came through in the clutch for them last year was mind boggling. This year's Giants team seems more in line with how they should be.  But this is a fascinating question.  

I would doubt it.  You have to have one team win 105+ and another lose 105+ which doesn't happen every year.  The Astros and Red Sox in 2013 and 2014 were the closes but the Astros didnt improve enough and it was a 46 game change.  I know the Marlins had that huge one year turn around when the spent lot money to win championship.

6 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I would doubt it.  You have to have one team win 105+ and another lose 105+ which doesn't happen every year.  The Astros and Red Sox in 2013 and 2014 were the closes but the Astros didnt improve enough and it was a 46 game change.  I know the Marlins had that huge one year turn around when the spent lot money to win championship.

I'm guessing if it ever happened it would have been in Drungo Times.

Right now, Toronto is in the 1st WC and ahead of us by 2.0 games.

Seattle is in the 2nd WC and ahead by 1.5 games.

Tampa is tied with us for the 3rd WC.

None of those teams play today.  So, if we win tonight, we move ahead of Tampa to be all alone in the 3rd WC and gain a half game on the other two.   By the end of the season, I want our high water mark to end up looking like that post in Ellicott City.  I want water 6' over my head and half the town submerged!

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Right now, Toronto is in the 1st WC and ahead of us by 2.0 games.

Seattle is in the 2nd WC and ahead by 1.5 games.

Tampa is tied with us for the 3rd WC.

None of those teams play today.  So, if we win tonight, we move ahead of Tampa to be all alone in the 3rd WC and gain a half game on the other two.   By the end of the season, I want our high water mark to end up looking like that post in Ellicott City.  I want water 6' over my head and half the town submerged!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...