The American League East

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, I agree with all of this.  And part of the reason Tampa (and Boston) aren’t as good is because we are better.

That said, I do think we have to recognize these things no matter how the rest of the year unfolds.  This offseason needs to be about a lot of improvement.

One of the biggest mistakes this organization has made in recent memory is not doing more to capitalize on the success of the teams in 2012-2016.  They didn’t do enough to make the team better in those years.

This offseason we need to see major improvements on the pitching staff because this same staff could come back next year and pitch to a collective 5 ErA and no one would be surprised.

There’s much more flexibility right now because payroll is so low.  They could acquire 2-3 significant free agents and payroll would still be below average for a couple of years.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s much more flexibility right now because payroll is so low.  They could acquire 2-3 significant free agents and payroll would still be below average for a couple of years.  

I would love to see them go 2/$70 for Verlander.

• Upvote 1

I'm still kind of digesting the Yankees offloading Jordan Montgomery for hurt Harrison Bader.

What a vote of no confidence in Aaron Hicks (and to a lesser extent Estevan Florial and Jasson Dominguez, if he even is a CF anymore).    Obviously the Kiner-Falefa glove first things have helped fuel this year's great success so far.

It feels odd for a 100-win juggernaut to be actively planning to switch their CF in mid-September, which I think must be the gameplan if Bader recovers well enough from his fasciitis.     They don't seem to have anyone but the lame duck Hicks (currently 40th of 48 centerfielders at the OAA rate stat) to play in the interim.

Notably high acquisition costs for even the Harrison Bader - Jose Siri level player make me wonder how strong Mullins' value might theoretically be if Cowser can really handle CF a little while, or even if a Phillips-McKenna platoon was sufficient for low dollars.

But mostly, very glad Cedric's with us!

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is probably a different season if Tampa doesn’t have so many injuries. 

I get it, I get it, it’s part of the game. But they’re missing a lot of key contributors. 

To be fair, we also lost our ace for the entire season and our number one pitching prospect (who was most likely going to be promoted).