Kyle Stowers called up

RVAOsFan

42 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This makes me think Elias traded for Brett Phillips because he was working out a trade of Santander, Hays or Mullins that fell through at the trade deadline.

I wonder if we had a deal in place and it was nixed due to medical issues. Do the player physicals happen after the trade is announced, or before?

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

His Steamer rest-of-season projection is .232/.303/.428.  I don't know how often they update that, but I think that's a pretty plausible line.  Of course if he gets 75-100 PAs his range of outcomes could be anything from at least a .575 OPS to a .900.  But the mid-range would be in the mid 700s.

So, better than Nevin, Odor, Phillips, McKenna... probably. 

Are they able to recall Vespi after only 6 days instead of the normal 15 as a "replacement" for Vavra going on paternity leave? If so, does he have to go back to Norfolk when Vavra returns until 15 days after he was optioned on August 13? With no injuries or trades, I think the paternity leave is the only loophole to flip Vespi and Gillaspie in the bullpen.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HelenaEngineer said:

Are they able to recall Vespi after only 6 days instead of the normal 15 as a "replacement" for Vavra going on paternity leave? If so, does he have to go back to Norfolk when Vavra returns until 15 days after he was optioned on August 13? With no injuries or trades, I think the paternity leave is the only loophole to flip Vespi and Gillaspie in the bullpen.

I think it's only 10 days.  And, no, I don't think he has to "make them up" in Norfolk, so to speak.

Great news.. I also saw they still have 39 on the 40 man which makes me think Henderson is added to the 40 and is up next Tues when they pass the magical rookie clock. Martin goes back down. Then when Vavra returns, Nevin goes down. Or Nevin could go first then Martin.

Maybe ME is finally reading the OH or has finally realized what a dumpster fire this offense has been the last week.

18 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think it's only 10 days.  And, no, I don't think he has to "make them up" in Norfolk, so to speak.

That's for position players the rules state pitchers have to wait 15 days before being recalled. Vespi depending what day you counted from was sent down to Norfolk on 08/12 or 08/13.

Even with the 10 day rule it hasn't been long enough, so I have to think it's related to Vavra being on paternity leave. 

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/minor-league-options

Upon being optioned to the Minor Leagues, a position player must remain there for a minimum of 10 days before he is eligible to be recalled to the Major League roster. For pitchers, the minimum is 15 days.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't buy this.  I thought someone was getting dealt at the time but I don't think Elias would make a move based off of an assumption.

Sure he could... low-risk insurance just in case. I don't see any other explanation for adding Phillips.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

His Steamer rest-of-season projection is .232/.303/.428.  I don't know how often they update that, but I think that's a pretty plausible line.  Of course if he gets 75-100 PAs his range of outcomes could be anything from at least a .575 OPS to a .900.  But the mid-range would be in the mid 700s.

Interesting. That projection is a higher OPS than Hays or Mullins currently have. 

1 minute ago, now said:

Sure he could... low-risk insurance just in case. I don't see any other explanation for adding Phillips.

The explanation is simple.  He plays great defense and the Os were valuing that with Hays and Santander playing below average defense.  

Also, with Mullins slumping so much vs lefties, they may have figured they needed him.

There are lots of reasons but I don’t think Elias would make a move (and ownership give up cash that they don’t have) because of a move he thought was happening.

Elias was with the Astros years ago when they acquired Phillips.  We know he has shown an affinity for players he had in the past.  I don’t think I would look much further than that.

47 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

This seems about right.  His BA will be low because he does strike out a lot, but he makes up for that to some extent with walks and power.