Kyle Stowers called up

RVAOsFan

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Why couldn’t they have brought up Stowers to spell Hays?

I think speed may be the answer.   A McKenna/Phillip platoon was used when Hays was not playing.   Left field at Camden Yard is huge.  Elias/Hyde value their defense.

It may be notable that Stowers started in right field last night which has less ground to cover.

Edited by wildcard

Roch's articles at the time of the trade just said they wanted Phillips for defense and LH bat. On paper he perhaps makes marginally more sense at the time than McKenna who is RH, but then McKenna got hot right at the time Phillips could have had an opportunity for that backup spot, then they decided they actually didn't need him. Still doesn't make much sense but aside from the trade falling through theory the only thing that makes sense is that Phillips was more about McKenna than Stowers.

While I didn't like the Phillips signing, I wasn't apposed, either. I get it. I think it was for a number of factors already mentioned- he filled some needs at the time. Why didn't they bring up Stowers instead? Probably because of player development. Elias has repeatedly said he wants our prospects to get enough reps and at bats in the minors, including AAA, before bringing them up so that when they're called up, they're ready to contribute. That's probably why Stowers and Hall didn't stick the first time around. I'm sure they wanted Stowers in the lineup much sooner,  but this is what development looks like. My hope is that Stowers is now ready, to not only stick, but contribute and be the spark that pushes us into the playoffs (along with a couple more prospects). Phillips served a purpose, but that's behind us now, and the future has arrived. No reason to keep looking back.

34 minutes ago, linedrive said:

While I didn't like the Phillips signing, I wasn't apposed, either. I get it. I think it was for a number of factors already mentioned- he filled some needs at the time. Why didn't they bring up Stowers instead? Probably because of player development. Elias has repeatedly said he wants our prospects to get enough reps and at bats in the minors, including AAA, before bringing them up so that when they're called up, they're ready to contribute. That's probably why Stowers and Hall didn't stick the first time around. I'm sure they wanted Stowers in the lineup much sooner,  but this is what development looks like. My hope is that Stowers is now ready, to not only stick, but contribute and be the spark that pushes us into the playoffs (along with a couple more prospects). Phillips served a purpose, but that's behind us now, and the future has arrived. No reason to keep looking back.

Seems absurd to pay 600k just to give Stowers perhaps 30 more ABs in AAA. They could easily have kept Yusniel up if that was the reason.

41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Here is my back of the napkin:   At the deadline 64 days left divided by 181 days in the season times 1.4m  is 510K.

You've got a much better napkin! There was also whatever cash consideration it cost. 500k still seems like too much if the only purpose was to delay Stowers.

38 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You've got a much better napkin! There was also whatever cash consideration it cost. 500k still seems like too much if the only purpose was to delay Stowers.

That might not be the the only reason.   Maybe Elias/Hyde did not want to put a fielder with average range in LF at Camden Yards.

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That might not be the the only reason.   Maybe Elias/Hyde did not want to put a fielder with average range in LF at Camden Yards.

I definitely don't buy the delay Stowers explanation, but if it was for defense then it makes no sense to DFA him. Maybe they were worried Hays injury was more serious?

On 8/20/2022 at 6:00 PM, Aristotelian said:

I definitely don't buy the delay Stowers explanation, but if it was for defense then it makes no sense to DFA him. Maybe they were worried Hays injury was more serious?

Again, it wasn't just the "delay Stowers" explanation. If you read through the entire post, there were 4-5 other good explanations as well. I'm sure all these factored into the decision, including player development. In the end, I'm sure they thought Phillips could help the team, and when that experiment didn't work, they moved on to Stowers. I have no problem with any of this, even though I would like to have seen Stowers sooner. Phillips is gone. Stowers is here. I don't see the need to complain.

Unfortunately, Stowers went 0-4 today. I wonder how many are going to complain about him being called up to soon!