Jim Bowden's updated top 50 MLB prospects

Paul in Virginia

Has Gunnar, Gray-Rod, and Holliday at 5, 6, and 9, respectively:

Top 50 MLB prospects: Jordan Walker, Zac Veen top Jim Bowden’s rankings - The Athletic

5. Gunnar Henderson, 3B/SS, Orioles (Triple A)

Bats: L Throws: R
Height: 6-2 Weight: 210
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 60 RUN: 50 ARM: 70 FLD: 50

I love Henderson’s bat and his ability to hit the ball gap-to-gap as well as 20 rows back to the pull side. He looks like he could hit 50 doubles and 25 home runs and contend for a batting title someday in the majors. Henderson played well at third base during the Futures Game and made a great tag on Carroll on a stolen-base attempt. The Orioles will probably make Henderson a third baseman for the long term, but he could stay at shortstop, like Corey Seager has for the Rangers, if that’s what they want. He is ready for the majors and could get the call any minute.

6. Grayson Rodriguez, RHP, Orioles (Triple A)

Height: 6-5 Weight: 220
Scouting Grades: FB: 70 CB: 50 SLI: 60 CH: 70 CTL: 60 CMND: 55

The best pitching prospect in baseball, Rodriguez is armed with a special, four-pitch repertoire that includes a triple-digit fastball, a wipeout slider and one of the best changeups in the minor leagues, with late deceptive dive. He has the arsenal to win a Cy Young Award someday and is projected to be the Orioles’ ace for years to come. Rodriguez hasn’t pitched in a game since June 1 after suffering a right lat strain, but he is expected back before the end of the season.

9. Jackson Holliday, SS, Orioles (Low A)

Height: 6-1 Weight: 175
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 55 RUN: 60 ARM: 55 FLD: 55

Holliday has a special hit tool and baseball instincts, just like his father, Matt Holliday, a seven-time All-Star. He shortened his swing considerably this past spring, which has led to consistent sweet-spot contact with barrel awareness. Holliday, the No. 1 pick in this year’s draft, has the raw power to develop into a 20-home run bat. He will be able to remain at shortstop defensively. He made great strides physically in the past year, adding significant strength, speed, flexibility and power.

Paywall but the headline that Walker and Veen top the list is a non-starter for me.  Maybe there’s a case for Walker but not Veen.  His A+ stats only show speed and the ability to take a walk.  Not much else.

We need to form some type of prayer circle for Grayson!  He is the One!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Paywall but the headline that Walker and Veen top the list is a non-starter for me.  Maybe there’s a case for Walker but not Veen.  His A+ stats only show speed and the ability to take a walk.  Not much else.

We need to form some type of prayer circle for Grayson!  He is the One!

2. Zac Veen, OF, Rockies (Double A)

Bats: L Throws: R
Height: 6-4 Weight: 190
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 60 RUN: 55 ARM: 60 FLD: 55

Veen put on a show in batting practice at the Futures Game in July, peppering line drives everywhere and displaying standout power to all fields, especially in the gaps, with remarkable backspin on his blasts. He can steal bases at will, racking up 53 in 59 attempts this season. I believe Veen will be a 30-homer, 40-steals type player once he arrives at Coors Field. He’s the next Rockies superstar.

Several 2020 prep bats in Jim Bowden's top 50: Veen at 2, Robert Hassell III at 7, and Pete Crow-Armstrong at 33. I cry every time 😢.

Jim Bowden oversaw 15 drafts as a major league GM.  Only two of his number one picks ever amounted to anything significant - Austin Kearns (13.0 rWAR as a 1:7 pick) and Ryan Zimmerman (40.1 rWAR as a 1:4 pick).  So I’m not really interested in his opinions.  His track record was poor.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Jim Bowden oversaw 15 drafts as a major league GM.  Only two of his number one picks ever amounted to anything significant - Austin Kearns (13.0 rWAR as a 1:7 pick) and Ryan Zimmerman (40.1 rWAR as a 1:4 pick).  So I’m not really interested in his opinions.  His track record was poor.  

He admits in the preface that he's going by what he has seen in person/on video, and then he relies heavily on Futures Game performances. Which probably explains why Gunnar is 5th. Eye test guy.

7 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Is this the highest Holliday has been ranked? Not that it matters but I don’t think I have seen him in anyone else’s top 10. 

He has him as the highest rated SS if you don't count Gunnar, so yeah that's probably as high as you can rate Holliday. Still a slot below Druw Jones though.

21 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

He admits in the preface that he's going by what he has seen in person/on video, and then he relies heavily on Futures Game performances. Which probably explains why Gunnar is 5th. Eye test guy.

He clearly overlooks stats.  I don’t see 60 power.  6’4” 190 lbs so maybe he’ll fill out but it’s not there in game now.

Bowden listed Cowser among ten hitters who barely missed his list:

4. Colton Cowser, OF, Orioles (Triple A)

Height: 6-3 Weight: 195
Scouting grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 55 RUN: 55 ARM: 55 FLD: 50

Cowser, the No. 5 pick in the 2021 draft, is a beast with a strong frame and elite bat-to-balls skills who works counts and hits missiles to all fields. He displays above-average power in batting practice, and it won’t be long before that translates to games. An above-average runner, Cowser can play all three outfield positions but will probably end up in right field. He slashed .294/.422/.479 with 29 doubles and 14 home runs this season at High A and Double A in 502 combined plate appearances. The Orioles promoted Cowser to Triple A on Monday. He could reach the majors as early as late summer next year.

On 8/26/2022 at 7:19 PM, btdart20 said:

He clearly overlooks stats.  I don’t see 60 power.  6’4” 190 lbs so maybe he’ll fill out but it’s not there in game now.

I disagree, and I'd be surprised if he is 190.  I'd guess 205-210.  He is thick and most definitely has the game power.  He has not hit many cheap HRs this year and a good portion of them have gone dead CF & LCF.  He's hit 19 HR in 404 ABs so far this year.  

On 8/26/2022 at 7:19 PM, btdart20 said:

You are talking about Gunnar Henderson, right? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic...because if not you're saying someone is overlooking stats when evaluating a player, and also saying he doesn't have game power despite what the stats say about that power. That player's stats say he's slugging .530 this season and .487 for his MiLB career...that's power. 45% of the kids hits have been for extra bases this year. 

Eye test, stats test, he's got power. Apologies in advance if I'm misreading your comment.

Edited by CharmCityHokie

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I disagree, and I'd be surprised if he is 190.  I'd guess 205-210.  He is thick and most definitely has the game power.  He has not hit many cheap HRs this year and a good portion of them have gone dead CF & LCF.  He's hit 19 HR in 404 ABs so far this year.  

I think you misunderstood my comment.  I was talking about Zac Veen and his 11 HR and that he shouldn’t be ranked higher than Gunnar.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

You are talking about Gunnar Henderson, right? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic...because if not you're saying someone is overlooking stats when evaluating a player, and also saying he doesn't have game power despite what the stats say about that power. That player's stats say he's slugging .530 this season and .487 for his MiLB career...that's power. 45% of the kids hits have been for extra bases this year. 

Eye test, stats test, he's got power. Apologies in advance if I'm misreading your comment.

I was saying Bowden doesn’t care that Gunnar’s stats are better than Veen.  And saying the power rating on Veen must be about projection because it’s certainly not there now.

• Upvote 1

Just now, CharmCityHokie said:

Ah, I rescind my comment, and my apologies if the comment came off snarky.

Threads can be tough to follow from post to post scrolling backwards too.  And my post wasn’t clear either.  Especially since two people misunderstood!  No offense taken.

• Upvote 1