Marlins Open to Trading from Pitching Surplus

StillanOfan

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Let us assume he doesn’t.   Let’s assume he’d be slightly below average for a major league CF, but not an embarrassment by any means.  Let’s also assume he’s a guy who consistently can post a .375+ OBP and an .800+ OPS.   In that hypothetical scenario, I’d rather have Cowser as our everyday CF than Mullins.   Now, would I rather have him replace Hays or Santander in a corner spot and have Mullins stay in CF?  Maybe.   But if Mullins brings back significantly more in a trade than Hays or Santander, then you have to consider that option.  

I'm not ready to put Cowser in the majors quite yet.

2 hours ago, nvpacchi said:

TLDR: Marlins pitchers have sneaky injury risk.  But I'd love to take flyers on either Trevor Rogers or Max Meyer.

I think this would be my tiered preference for Marlins starters

Obvious but untouchables: Alcantara, Perez

Easy Mid Rotation piece: Pablo Lopez

Lottery tickets: Edward Cabrera, Jesus Luzardo

Injury Reclamation Projects: Max Meyer, Trevor Rogers

I'd lay off: Sixto Sanchez

The scary thing is all of these Marlins pitchers have some high injury risk.

Luzardo has had Tommy John and is out with the dreaded forearm strain again.  Cabrera has had problems staying healthy, including an elbow injury this year.  Lopez has had three separate IL stints for his shoulder (including two stays on the 60 day list).  And of course Meyer is out now recovering from TJ.

Assuming Sandy and Perez are untouchable, I'd love to try reclamation projects in Rogers and Meyer.  Meyer's price may be a bit lower now with the TJ.  Rogers feels a perfect buy low, who MAY have been pitching injured this year with his back spasms?  Plus we don't have to give away a primo prospect for either, and can probably deal from the Cowser and lower range of prospects...

Heck does Mountcastle for Trevor Rogers straight up get it done?

Really good post and I think you're thinking more along the lines like Elias and crew will be thinking. 

I seriously doubt we target a high cost guy. But I think it's very likely they rely on analytics to try to find someone they think can be a top of the rotation guy. 

And if analytics say Rogers can be fixed, like a Voth, I'd do Mountcastle for him in a minute. Unfortunately, I don't have the information that led them to Voth or Jordan Lyles or Tyler Wells, etc.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Let us assume he doesn’t.   Let’s assume he’d be slightly below average for a major league CF, but not an embarrassment by any means.  Let’s also assume he’s a guy who consistently can post a .375+ OBP and an .800+ OPS.   In that hypothetical scenario, I’d rather have Cowser as our everyday CF than Mullins.   Now, would I rather have him replace Hays or Santander in a corner spot and have Mullins stay in CF?  Maybe.   But if Mullins brings back significantly more in a trade than Hays or Santander, then you have to consider that option.  

I think given how much ground there is to cover now between cf and LF at Camden yards, I’m not sure you can get away with a below avg cf unless you have a plus def LF. Also given mullins has a 733 ops, and 2.9 fwar I’m not sure that a below avg cf with an .800 ops is more valuable 

11 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I think given how much ground there is to cover now between cf and LF at Camden yards, I’m not sure you can get away with a below avg cf unless you have a plus def LF. Also given mullins has a 733 ops, and 2.9 fwar I’m not sure that a below avg cf with an .800 ops is more valuable 

I think it would be a close call.  

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think it would be a close call.  

Which is why there's no reason to trade him for pitching before they've even dipped their toe in the FA pool. If Cowser comes up next year and tears the cover off the ball (doubtful) then you can consider trading Mullins at the deadline. I just don't see the point in subtracting an above average player + prospects for something that can be accomplished by literally just spending a little bit more money. 

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings Orioles fans. I'm a Marlins fan, but I wanted to congratulate you all on a successful season and rebuild. We both started our rebuilds five years ago and when you look at your team and farm system and look at our team and farm system, you see the difference in competence between the two front offices. Because this marlins topic was brought up on this board, what about this trade proposal. As orioles fans, would you be willing to do the following trade: Jazz Chisolm and Pablo Lopez or Jesus Luzardo for Colton Cowser, Jordan Westburg, Hudson Haskin, and Jorge Mateo?

16 minutes ago, Mavericksouth said:

Greetings Orioles fans. I'm a Marlins fan, but I wanted to congratulate you all on a successful season and rebuild. We both started our rebuilds five years ago and when you look at your team and farm system and look at our team and farm system, you see the difference in competence between the two front offices. Because this marlins topic was brought up on this board, what about this trade proposal. As orioles fans, would you be willing to do the following trade: Jazz Chisolm and Pablo Lopez or Jesus Luzardo for Colton Cowser, Jordan Westburg, Hudson Haskin, and Jorge Mateo?

No, not even close to being a fair deal for the Os.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mavericksouth said:

I'd need to know a lot more about the medicals on Chisolm. I would set him off to the side. I'd be interested in Lopez for Cowser/Haskin or Westburg/Haskin. Not sure about Cowser/Westburg. 

What would Austin Hays, Ryan Mountcastle, and Westburg get me? 

15 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

15 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

What's your counter proposal? Jazz would solve your second base issues (why you guys keep playing Odor I have no idea), and Pablo is our second best pitcher. What would it take besides Alcantara of course. Who would you all be more likely to part with if you had to choose Cowser or Westburg?

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd need to know a lot more about the medicals on Chisolm. I would set him off to the side. I'd be interested in Lopez for Cowser/Haskin or Westburg/Haskin. Not sure about Cowser/Westburg. 

What would Austin Hays, Ryan Mountcastle, and Westburg get me? 

Jazz had a back issue that is all but healed up. We shut him down for the rest of the season as a precaution. However,  he had a torn meniscus that no one knew about. He had surgery to repair that yesterday.  That said, he is expected to be 100% by spring training.  

Not that high on Hays. I begin to wonder if he has already hit his ceiling. There is risk with Cowser too. Cowser has been shockingly poor at AAA, but I still like his long term potential. Westburg's bat is pretty good, but I have some concerns defensively and his arm strength at short is questionable. Mountcastle would interest me to a degree. I don't think he is as bad as most orioles fans. Would you do Mountcastle and Cowser for Lopez?

19 minutes ago, Mavericksouth said:

What's your counter proposal? Jazz would solve your second base issues (why you guys keep playing Odor I have no idea), and Pablo is our second best pitcher. What would it take besides Alcantara of course. Who would you all be more likely to part with if you had to choose Cowser or Westburg?

We don’t have a second base issue.  We have at least 3 options long term for the position.

Jazz is a great player but we don’t need him.