Please help me understand why we continue to pitch to the guys who mash us?

banks703

BB is 10-15 with four homeruns and 9 RBI in the series. 7 for his last 8. 

Yes, they have a good lineup but FFS when someone is THAT red-hot, make them make you pitch to them. Coming into tonight BB had walked just 34 times in 132 games this year compared to 138 K's. Make him chase. Good grief. 

The same with Arozarena and Judge; the last two years they have absolutely pwned the O's yet the pitchers still pitch in the zone to them. The O's clearly have not learned to avoid the hot bat. Obviously I don't mean to suggest that they should just strike out these guys. BB is scorching hot against them this year. If he wants to chase pitches, let him. He will. See the 138 Ks to 34 BB ratio this year.

I just don't get why the pitchers throw anything near the zone to the guys who have the most success against them. I'm not suggesting hack-a-Shaq, IBB Barry Bonds with the bases loaded type of deal but good grief.

• Upvote 1

I do believe Hyde has a times been a little stubborn with this and shown a refusal to walk guys even in pretty obvious situations.  I'm sure it's an organizational philosophy that they kind of need to re-think.  That said, obviously the situation has a lot to do with it.  And a lot of times these guys kill us because we make really bad pitches.

I remember even as a kid going crazy when we let the same guys beat us all the time.  Dean Palmer, Rex Hudler, Lee Stevens, Craig Paquette, etc.  Felt like I was the only one who noticed that we kept getting murdered by the same people and nothing would ever change.  Ian Kinsler used to absolutely destroy us.  At one point, he was hitting .390 for his career against us.  He leveled off to .341, but his overall career BA was .269.  So the discrepancy was wide.  And we all know what JD Martinez has done for his career against our pitching.

Bichette is on an amazing tear, but if it continues today, then yeah I would say we just need to walk him unless the bases are loaded.  He has a ways to go before he becomes a Grichuk like thorn in our side.

@Fiver6565 Didn't we ask ourselves that same question when he was 3 for his last 3 with three homeruns and 5 RBI?

As a competitor, I get it. I'd want to be the guy to shut down the guy who is killing us also but sometimes, man, the other guy just has your number. Baseball is funny like that. Frank Thomas, a HOF could have been mired in an 0-20 slump but if he dug in against Mike Mussina, he was likely to tune up Moose. Frank Thomas was 30 for 82 (.366) against Mussina with 9 homeruns. Frank Thomas ate Mussina's lunch on the regular. 

There are just guys and scenarios/matchups like that. As another pointed out, even in little league if another dude was ballin', we saw it and figured out how to not give them opportunities to continue beating us. Make them pass the baton. 

Transversely we have Mountcastle who has done damage to Toronto pitching this year. For some reason they keep pitching to him. Why?

14 hours ago, banks703 said:

BB is en fuego right now. Why throw anything in the neighborhood of the zone for him to drive? Same with Judge. Same with Arozarena. Same with Devers. 

These dudes kill O’s pitching. Why throw them anything remotely close to their zone? So frustrating. 

Why do you even watch?

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

@Fiver6565 Didn't we ask ourselves that same question when he was 3 for his last 3 with three homeruns and 5 RBI?

As a competitor, I get it. I'd want to be the guy to shut down the guy who is killing us also but sometimes, man, the other guy just has your number. Baseball is funny like that. Frank Thomas, a HOF could have been mired in an 0-20 slump but if he dug in against Mike Mussina, he was likely to tune up Moose. Frank Thomas was 30 for 82 (.366) against Mussina with 9 homeruns. Frank Thomas ate Mussina's lunch on the regular. 

There are just guys and scenarios/matchups like that. As another pointed out, even in little league if another dude was ballin', we saw it and figured out how to not give them opportunities to continue beating us. Make them pass the baton. 

Transversely we have Mountcastle who has done damage to Toronto pitching this year. For some reason they keep pitching to him. Why?

Yes, I remember Frank Thomas destroying Mussina.  I actually think Mussina's first start for us in 1991 was a 1-0 loss to the White Sox, with the 1 run coming on a Thomas home run.  I also remember Mike Bordick killing us before we signed him in 1997. I think at that point in his career, 7 of his 21 homeruns were against us....not easy to do when he played for a team outside of our division.  

As a competitor, all I care about is winning the game.  Having more runs on the board than the opposition when the last out is recorded. So if that means I have to avoid throwing a single hittable pitch to an established Orioles killer in order to increase my odds of winning the game, I am very cool with that.  

• Upvote 1