One simple request from the baseball gods

Moshagge3

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Buck is 2nd on the modern Orioles list for managerial wins, but if you had a poll today ranking the team's all-time managers I think he'd fall somewhere between Sam Perlozzo and Phil Regan.  He'd be miles behind Davey, even though Davey was only here two years and had a roster full of big-name free agents.

Yep, I agree.  And I'm a big Buck fan.  Ubaldo, Britton, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, fine, whatever.  It's been re-hashed to death.

Still doesn't take away the fact that he presided over some great teams while he was here and helped lead this franchise out of the doldrums from '98-2011.  

Soon, CoC will be here to remind us all how Buck was one of the reasons for the 2018 team, being too clingy to veterans.  And again, I say whatever.  No one's saying he didn't have his faults, of course he wasn't perfect.  

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Buck is 2nd on the modern Orioles list for managerial wins, but if you had a poll today ranking the team's all-time managers I think he'd fall somewhere between Sam Perlozzo and Phil Regan.  He'd be miles behind Davey, even though Davey was only here two years and had a roster full of big-name free agents.

I think a lot of people appreciate what Buck did here.  Was he perfect?  No.  There’s lots of things I could criticize.   On the whole, I think he did a good job and I enjoyed his persona.  At this point it’s 4 years in the rear view mirror and I’m waiting to see how the Hyde Era evolves.   I hope the team had enough success where he’ll eventually pass Buck on the O’s managerial wins list.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think a lot of people appreciate what Buck did here.  Was he perfect?  No.  There’s lots of things I could criticize.   On the whole, I think he did a good job and I enjoyed his persona.  At this point it’s 4 years in the rear view mirror and I’m waiting to see how the Hyde Era evolves.   I hope the team had enough success where he’ll eventually pass Buck on the O’s managerial wins list.  

He's 466 wins behind Buck.  466 wins, I think, would be the 3rd-highest win total in Orioles history. That's the equivalent of five years of 95 wins each.

That would be great.  Seems somewhat unlikely.  I think the O's have only had three managers (Richards, Weaver, Buck) who managed for five full seasons.

Can the baseball gods send us a 2023-2027 do over on the Best AL Record in a 5-year span, with more margin of victory, and better coinflips?

We'll probably end up about 20 games behind HOU in 2022, but maybe next four years that could be made up to compete for the 2022-2026 honor as well.    Probably need to see who Justin Verlander decides to work for there....Framber and Yordan ain't nothing, but have you seen Adley and Grayson?

Davey's exit circumstances will always muddy his water in memory.   Without the human tragedy, he's Roberto Clemente, Thurman Munson, etc.

Heck, OPACY making the team momentarily Yankees outspenders was another coincidence unrelated to the end.

That offseason we already had a bunch of Guys, and then got Roberto Alomar too was pretty sweet!

52 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Davey's exit circumstances will always muddy his water in memory.   Without the human tragedy, he's Roberto Clemente, Thurman Munson, etc.

I guess you mean he had a truncated career, which is true.  But I think I'd frame it more like Roberto Alomar.  He was very good when he was here, but he just wasn't here very long.

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

My baseball god wish is: if the O's aren't going to make the post-season, I don't want the Jays to either. 

That would truly take divine intervention at this point.  Can't imagine the Twins have it in them to pass both us and the Jays.  And then they'd just lose in the first round anyway.

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's 466 wins behind Buck.  466 wins, I think, would be the 3rd-highest win total in Orioles history. That's the equivalent of five years of 95 wins each.

That would be great.  Seems somewhat unlikely.  I think the O's have only had three managers (Richards, Weaver, Buck) who managed for five full seasons.

Hyde is setting himself up to be the manager for the O's competitive run with the job he's done this year. He may well pass Buck in wins before his time is up. 

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It wouldn't bother me if he hit it against the Orioles but what would make me happy is if he were up with 61 or 62 on the line in his last at bat at OPACY and smoked one off the new wall in LF, probably a homer in any other ballpark but the new OPACY holds it.  And then seeing him cry about it after the game.

neyf8yq-gif.256958

Aaron Judge smash!

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

Just now, O's84 said:

Judge can hit his 62nd HR, but as long as we win the game I'm .

Thats where Im at. It doesn't matter to me where Judge gets his 62nd. Im fine with it against the O's or someone else. With the new wall he wont get cheated thats for sure. 

9 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Hyde is setting himself up to be the manager for the O's competitive run with the job he's done this year. He may well pass Buck in wins before his time is up. 

I certainly hope so.  But the O's moved from St. Louis in 1954 and since then only a small handful of managers have ever made it five years total.  He's already working on finishing up #4.

I would love to have Hyde be a new Joe Torre, except that his Mets and Yankees tenures are both in Baltimore.