Why is Aguilar on this team?

Chelsea_Phil

I actually thought he made some sense as a RH power pinch hitter for the likes of Stowers, Odor, and Vavra. 

But they’re playing him too much and not playing enough of Stowers and Vavra.  

Now that the playoff hopes are faded he really shouldn’t ever be starting and therefore shouldn’t be on the team. 

• Upvote 2

I think it's pretty likely in the future the O's are going to have a lefty-heavy lineup and they'll probably carry some kind of random Benny Ayala, Delmon Young, Jesus Aguilar types on the roster for when they face a tough lefty.  Guys you can sign for $3.75 and hopefully they'll OPS .800 against lefties and otherwise stay out of the way. But in small samples sometimes it doesn't work out.

Aguilar isn't going to be that guy after the next couple weeks...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Getz said:

I wonder the same, this signing made little sense from the start.

I think with hitters like Mountcastle and Hays struggling Elias was trying to catch lightning in a bottle with Aguilar to jumpstart the offense.

Now that the Orioles have fallen back in the wildcard race there’s a good chance Aguilar is DFA-ed this week to allow prospects to get more at bats. 

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think it's pretty likely in the future the O's are going to have a lefty-heavy lineup and they'll probably carry some kind of random Benny Ayala, Delmon Young, Jesus Aguilar types on the roster for when they face a tough lefty.  Guys you can sign for $3.75 and hopefully they'll OPS .800 against lefties and otherwise stay out of the way. But in small samples sometimes it doesn't work out.

Aguilar isn't going to be that guy after the next couple weeks...

Aguilar wasn't that guy all year, which is why he was DFA'd. 

27 minutes ago, LA2 said:

If he had delivered even just as much Danny Valencia did....

I'm sure you could find a similarly bad 6 game span for Valencia with the bat.

But still, Drungo's right that they'll probably have someone in that role in the years ahead, and ideally more of a Valencia than an Aguilar. (More athletic and capable of playing a non-1b position when needed.)

Steve Pearce also started off in that sort of role I think.

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

I'm sure you could find a similarly bad 6 game span for Valencia with the bat.

But still, Drungo's right that they'll probably have someone in that role in the years ahead, and ideally more of a Valencia than an Aguilar. (More athletic and capable of playing a non-1b position when needed.)

Steve Pearce also started off in that sort of role I think.

We got Keith Moreland part deux.