Mateo's Bottom of the Eighth (Infield in 2023 talk)

Pickles

9 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I think it just depends on where you see Gunnar at long term. If you think he’s a SS, move Mateo. If you think he’s a 3B, keep Mateo. 

Machado was moved to 3B because of Hardy. He ended up being better there but he lost out on a few years where he could have played SS effectively at the major league level. I think we're seeing he same thing with Mateo/Henderson. Henderson could play there, but Mateo is better defensively and Henderson will be a GG caliber 3B so it's a win-win for now. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

SS is a more important defensive position, so in that regards, Mateo is more valuable.

But we have other players who can play SS and play it well, so it’s not like we are in trouble there.

So, why clamor to push out Urias and be excited and feel the need to give Mateo another chance?  

You could easily argue that our best lineup is Westburg at first, Ortiz at second, Henderson at SS and Urias at third.  That is a good combo of offense and defense.

I was much higher on Urias in July and early August but honestly, what has he really done since then?  I'd much rather have Mateo and move on from Urias with Westburg as his replacement.

12 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

So you think Urias should be the 3B moving forward?  I see 3B as Gunnar's best position, keeping Mateo as the SS for at least next season. 

Never said that. Gunnar should be 3B or SS. His best defensive position is said to be 3B.  If Gunnar is the SS then perhaps Urias opens next year as the 3B.

I have stated my preference. Henderson at 3B, Mateo at SS, Ortiz at 2B. Westburg as super utility.  I certainly would not be opposed to an infielde of 3 rookies, Henderson, Ortiz, and Westburg.  I just don't believe it will happen. 

Edited by RZNJ

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I"m confused. You won't know if Westburg and Ortiz are better than the players they are replacing until they actually do it at the ML level.  You are ok opening the season with Westburg as the 2B but not ok with starting both Westburg and Ortiz at 2B and SS to begin the season.  However,  if Ortiz spends 6 weeks in AAA proving 2021 was not a fluke then you would be okay with having two rookies up the middle. Have I got or not?

Okay, I am not sure if I am struggling to communicate or if you are messing with me. I thought I was pretty clear but I will try again.

I personally would be okay with both Ortiz and Westburg starting at SS and 2B respectively. I don't see the O's as I playoff team next year. If ME does then I don't think he will go into the 2023 COUNTING on both of them. I think that Westburg is the player most ready between the two players so I would like to see him start at 2B. I would start the year with Mateo at SS. Assuming that Westburg performs well, he should stay at 2B.  If either Mateo falls back into his sub .600 OPS or Ortiz is just killing it at AAA then he should be promoted. 

2 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Okay, I am not sure if I am struggling to communicate or if you are messing with me. I thought I was pretty clear but I will try again.

I personally would be okay with both Ortiz and Westburg starting at SS and 2B respectively. I don't see the O's as I playoff team next year. If ME does then I don't think he will go into the 2023 COUNTING on both of them. I think that Westburg is the player most ready between the two players so I would like to see him start at 2B. I would start the year with Mateo at SS. Assuming that Westburg performs well, he should stay at 2B.  If either Mateo falls back into his sub .600 OPS or Ortiz is just killing it at AAA then he should be promoted. 

Instead of getting bogged down in what we've already discussed, why don't you see this team as a playoff contender next year?  They were this year. You must be expected regression in the pitching?

Mateo isn’t killing the offense. You can win with him batting 9th. This is his first full year playing everyday, and playing everyday at SS. I cannot imagine the time he put in this offseason to play SS defensively. 

I think there is room to grow with the bat and as a base stealer. I think this is his floor offensively for the next 3 years. 

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Instead of getting bogged down in what we've already discussed, why don't you see this team as a playoff contender next year?  They were this year. You must be expected regression in the pitching?

Thanks for asking. I appreciate that. I expect some regression simply because of the historic nature of the turnaround this year. I hope I am wrong but It seems logical that there would be some regression in W/L. Can we expect the same results from the bullpen since they are mostly unproven and RP performance tends to fluctuate. I hope we add a tier one SP but its not a given. I expect some growing pains with young guys. Does Bradish get more consistent? Is Voth and Kremer for real? Does Hall finally figure our his command? How many innings can Means and Grayson provide? I am not sure that we have any players that have performed at a certain level for long enough to say we know who they are. Even Santander has to have some uncertainty about his pitch selection. Can he repeat it or does? There is a lot of uncertainty/volatility to the roster. I think we have several guys that are "good enough" but that is the problem if we want to get to the level of the Dodgers and Astros. We need to replace several guys with better players and that takes time and there is bound to be some growing pains. 

• Upvote 2

I know this thread has been used as a jumping off point for another discussion of the 2023 defensive alignment, but I would like to take a ten second pause just to admire what Mateo did in that half inning.  It really was a spectacular sequence of plays.  

Here’s the third great play he made that inning:

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/akil-baddoo-lines-out-to-shortstop-jorge-mateo

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

I don't see the eagerness to hand Ortiz a starting spot on Opening Day next year. 

Will you understand the eagerness when Keith Law puts Ortiz in his top 50 prospects and projects him to be an above average ML SS?

I'm not equating him to Gunnar Henderson, but his season has been beast for the last 3 months and his glove is supposed to be superb. He doesn't have Mateo's range (who does), but he has the rest of his defensive game from what I've heard.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I know this thread has been used as a jumping off point for another discussion of the 2023 defensive alignment, but I would like to take a ten second pause just to admire what Mateo did in that half inning.  It really was a spectacular sequence of plays.  

Here’s the third great play he made that inning:

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/akil-baddoo-lines-out-to-shortstop-jorge-mateo

Now, don't you go posting in the spirit of the OP!  :)