Baseball is so crazy

Frobby

32 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

We lost a bunch (a sweep?) to the As in Oakland early in the season, so you can’t just pick and choose any old series that cost us big time.

We went 1-3 against OAK earlier in the season.  On the year, a combined 4-9 against OAK and DET, the 2 worst teams in the league.  That's a tough pill to swallow.

Of course, they're also 3-1 so far this year against HOU, so those sorts of things tend to even out.

Edited by glenn__davis

We have played the Astros tough so far. Don't know why - maybe it's an Elias thing, match up, mental challenge - but we seem to like to mess with Texas. Maybe Elias is giving bonuses if we beat the Stros.😀

Anyway, the Asto series (Texas and home) has been fun to watch so far. Hope we can keep it up. Loved watching the young guys getting schooled by The V and winning a few times to beat him. And Odor my be this site's whipping boy but every now and then....... That's what makes Basebal Crazy for me.

Its been quite a progression.  From hardly anyone giving this team a chance to even be a .500 team to -  are they contenders or aren't they.     There has been a  lot of growth.  

I think in almost any year that a team does not win it all fans can look back and say if  they had only won this game or this series.   But particularly this year for the O's I think we have  to look at the year as a whole and say the team has improve a great deal.

Yep while the 3-1 record vs the Astros is great, they will look back on this season at the 4-9 record against OAK and DET as the reason they miss the playoffs (I also include the make up game vs the Cubs in that # for 4-10). Just flip that record to 10-4 and we are right in the top 3 right now. The 3/4 loss against the A's early in the season doesn't seem as impactful as the recent losses but they all add up and count.

With the way the Rays and Mariners have been playing recently it makes the recent losses even worse.

At this point, hope they get a second wind vs Houston, take 3/4 then do well next week in NY/BOS and see what happens in the final 3 vs TOR. Still unlikely, but it would be great to still be alive going into the final 3 vs TOR.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Yep while the 3-1 record vs the Astros is great, they will look back on this season at the 4-9 record against OAK and DET as the reason they miss the playoffs (I also include the make up game vs the Cubs in that # for 4-10). Just flip that record to 10-4 and we are right in the top 3 right now. The 3/4 loss against the A's early in the season doesn't seem as impactful as the recent losses but they all add up and count.

With the way the Rays and Mariners have been playing recently it makes the recent losses even worse.

At this point, hope they get a second wind vs Houston, take 3/4 then do well next week in NY/BOS and see what happens in the final 3 vs TOR. Still unlikely, but it would be great to still be alive going into the final 3 vs TOR.

It’s just a bad way to look at it IMO.   You play 162 games a year.  A win or a loss against Oakland or Detroit counts just as much as a win or loss against Houston or Cleveland.  And good teams don’t typically go 10-4 against bad teams.  

I’m frustrated that we had a 9-8 series lead on Tampa and blew the final two games to lose the season series and the tie breaker.   I’m frustrated that we had 7 crucial games against Toronto in September and are 2-5 so far.  I’m frustrated that we rolled over for the Yankees, going 5-11.   There’s a ton of things that frustrate me.  No single one of them is the reason we are behind in the playoff race.  It’s because out of the 149 games we’ve played, we’ve won 5 too few.  Pick any 5 you want.  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

He probably legit couldn't see because of that bright hideous scoreboard right in the field of play.

I have to think that wouldn't be allowed in the majors.  That's crazy bright.

But it did make me think of something... Some parks sill have CF bleachers, like Fenway.  What if they had a giveaway day where everyone in that section got a shirt.  The front is all black, the back all white.  When the home team is up, everyone just sits in their seats with their black shirts on.  When the visitors are up, they turn around and present a nice white hitting background.