The most cynically calculated promotion of all time?

Frobby

I disagree from this standpoint. 

When they had the 30th anniversary earlier Brooks was there and they mentioned him but he didn’t come out on the field. I thought during the game he they may show him between innings and they didn’t, told my wife I was disappointed. We don’t know how many more times we will get this chance. He is 83. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I do agree with that part.  There might not be a 50th anniversary, though I certainly hope there will be.  

I have to think this is why they've done this now.  Don't want to pull a Hall of Fame (not in Brooks' case, but they have a habit of remembering a guy was great when they read his obituary) and honor the guy years after he's gone.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

“The 45th anniversary of Thanks Brooks Day?”   Pretty much guaranteed to draw 30,000 plus, of whom 25,000 will be over 60 years old.   I love Brooks and hope he enjoys the event, but this is a pretty contrived event IMO.

I'm eagerly anticipating next year's 35th anniversary of Fantastic Fans Night.  Hopefully not on the heels of a 21-game losing streak.

Also next year, the huge 26th anniversary celebration of Eddie's 500th homer.  The 32nd anniversary of Chito Martinez' debut.  30 years of Fernandomania in Baltimore. 30th retrospective of Todd Frohwirth's last game as an Oriole, featuring a crowd of Jim Nabors impersonators all throwing submarine first pitches.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I disagree from this standpoint. 

When they had the 30th anniversary earlier Brooks was there and they mentioned him but he didn’t come out on the field. I thought during the game he they may show him between innings and they didn’t, told my wife I was disappointed. We don’t know how many more times we will get this chance. He is 83. 

The older I get, the more I firmly believe you should fete people while they are alive to see and appreciate it. Posthumous tributes and ceremonies are nice and all, but really only serve to benefit the families and friends of the honoree. So fair enough for Brooksie.

That said, will it sell some extra tickets in the process? Well, sure.