1. 1. Who is the Orioles MVP

• Felix Bautista
    • Jorge Mateo
    • Cedric Mullins
    • Adley Rutschman
    • Anthony Santander
    • Other- name in comments

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/08/22 at 12:00

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, if you go by reputation given this past year, the leader board looks like this:

1. Frobby- 4124
2. Tony-OH - 3120
3. Sports Guy - 2231
4. Can_of_corn - 1949
5. Moose Milligan - 1652
6. OsFanSinceThe80s - 1289
7. SteveA - 1225
8. RZNJ - 1173
9. justD - 1000
10. DrungoHazewood -  953

So for about the 20th year straight, Frobby is the OH poster MVP! lol

Sports Guy is 3rd?  🙄  A little piece of me just died on the inside.  

I kid, I kid.  I feel like @DrungoHazewood probably has his lowest total in years because of the whole Field of Dreams controversy.  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Has he?

He has certainly been more valuable on offense, even including Mateo's speed but Mateo is a very good Shortstop and Santander is a below average corner outfielder.

I don't see how, unless you just look at HR and RBI you can reach the conclusion that Santander is "way" more valuable.

I'll look at team impact.  Adley was big for the boost he provided and when he provided it.  But this offense would be nothing without Santander.  I think that MVP like value is harder to put a true value on, but he kept us afloat in the playoff race for as long as he could.

I voted for Adley.

I must say that the top 10 posters are all folks I read with interest on every post I read. All for different reasons, by the way. 😜 This board is the best I have ever read on any platform. Proud to be a member and very happy to be able to read it daily. This is a heartfelt thank you to all involved. You amplify my enjoyment of Orioles baseball to an immeasurable degree.

Edited by Jim'sKid26
spelling
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Malike said:

Paraphrasing about what someone told Palmer about Mateo. "If he could hit, they couldn't afford him". lol.

I hope he works on his English this off-season. Seems there have been a lot of mound visits he hasn’t been a part of that Gunnar has as the 3B and I can only assume it’s a language barrier thing.

39 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I hope he works on his English this off-season. Seems there have been a lot of mound visits he hasn’t been a part of that Gunnar has as the 3B and I can only assume it’s a language barrier thing.

I don't know about that. He seems to understand a lot of English because when he's been interviewed, he understands the questions but answers in Spanish like most of the Latin players.

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know about that. He seems to understand a lot of English because when he's been interviewed, he understands the questions but answers in Spanish like most of the Latin players.

I could be wrong,  but at times I get the impression the interpreter isn't needed as much as they let on.   Kinda like some of the Spanish speaking players used him when they really don't need him.  I don't know if they are just more comfortable that way or trying to keep him employed.  Doesn't really matter,  just interesting.

2 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I could be wrong,  but at times I get the impression the interpreter isn't needed as much as they let on.   Kinda like some of the Spanish speaking players used him when they really don't need him.  I don't know if they are just more comfortable that way or trying to keep him employed.  Doesn't really matter,  just interesting.

I think most understand and can converse with their teammates in English, but feel more comfortable talking in Spanish when interviewed.

On 10/1/2022 at 4:30 PM, foxfield said:

Voted Adley, but I believe Lyles work is worthy of strong consideration.

Lyles did a fine job eating 179 innings and not getting blown out on a regular basis.  He did what he was hired to do. 

But I find it hard to even give honorable mention in the O's MVP voting to a guy with a 90 ERA+, a 4.42 ERA and something like the 220th-best season by an O's starter since they moved from St. Louis 68 years ago. A typical Orioles season sees three starters who were more valuable than Lyles was this year, and "typical" includes all those years from 1954-60 and 1986-present where the season was over sometime in early June.

Outside of the newly friendly confines of OPACY he had a  5.25 ERA and allowed 20 homers in 96 innings.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Upvote 1

List of 2022 Orioles sorted by fWAR (rWAR in parentheses):

Rutschman, 4.9 (5.0)
Mullins, 3.2 (3.7)
Mateo, 2.7 (3.5)
Urias, 2.6 (3.6)
Santander, 2.6 (2.3)
Hays, 1.7 (2.2)
Kremer, 1.6 (2.9)
Lyles, 1.5 (1.0)
Bautista 1.4 (2.6)