Game 162: the end of the line for the 2022 Orioles

SteveA

Just now, WillyM said:

The Orioles are allowed to call up an extra player for the doubleheader, so they have called up Nick Vespi.

Leaves me wondering - what has Vespi been doing in the time since Norfolk's season ended?  Did the Orioles have him stay in Norfolk and throw bullpen sessions to a member of the Tides' coaching staff?  Or has he just been sitting at home?

Simiiar situation with Pena, who we called up I think Saturday or Sunday when Bautista went on the IL, several days after Norfolk's season ended.

Back before Covid, when the minor league season ended around Labor Day, we would send a bunch of guys to Sarasota to "instructional league" to stay in shape so we would have them available for callup.   That was in the Buck years.

Of course I heard Sarasota evacuated on (Friday?) due to the hurricane.   I assume they have since un-evacuated, but I don't know.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Back before Covid, when the minor league season ended around Labor Day, we would send a bunch of guys to Sarasota to "instructional league" to stay in shape so we would have them available for callup.   That was in the Buck years.

Didn't John Means have some kind of anecdote about his cup of coffee where they called him late September and asked if he could pitch, and he'd been decompressing to start his offseason, but was like, "Sure!"

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Didn't John Means have some kind of anecdote about his cup of coffee where they called him late September and asked if he could pitch, and he'd been decompressing to start his offseason, but was like, "Sure!"

I think you are right.

Well, I'm leaving work early to meet some friends for a happy hour.   Hopefully the game will be on where I go and I'll get to watch a few more innings of Orioles baseball, but I will be busy socializing and won't be in the game thread.

See you in the Saturday, February 25 game thread.   Twins vs Orioles, Sarasota....

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

He's already 31 years old.   I doubt he will "become" any more than he is.   And I am grateful for his contributions to the team, especially this year where he pitched fairly well at times, but I don't want to see him any higher than #7 in our starting pitcher pecking order next year, starting the season in Norfolk and ready to come up when someone gets hurt.

Don’t disagree. 

But Jamie Moyer was just getting started at that age. 

Outlier, I know.