83-79

Ripken

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I don't think it was about being worn down. They overachieved and didn't have a playoff caliber roster. Put 2 more reliable starters in the rotation and replace a few hitters with one to two 800+ OPS players, and this team is dancing. 

Statcast says Mountcastle was neutral luck away from a .800 OPS season this year.

• Upvote 1

83-79 is a great result given expectations.  They played fun and competitive ball, and though at the very end they slipped, the fact that they were even in the WC conversation so late in the season is commendable.

As for next year, whether they can make the jump to the next level will depend on Elias, and if the owners will spend.

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure that we may have seen the last of players who don't produce. McKenna, Odor, Nevin.

Even Hays, Vavra and Mountcastle need to be working their arses off this offseason. 

McKenna is not in the same group with Odor and Nevin. McKenna is a useful bench player because he provides plus defense and base running, and can play all the OF positions. He also has pronounced splits against over his professional career (excluding 2021) so he can be matched up against LHP. Odor and Nevin do not belong on the MLB roster.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's were basically a couple of bad series against the Tigers and A's away from the playoff.  I feel like the O's were worn down at the end of the season more than anything.  The will to win was still there, but there was no energy reserve left.  Here's to a great offseason (counting on Elias and Angelos) and an even better 2023. 

Tampa finished the season going 8-17 so even good teams can have bad stretches.  People are going to focus on the games we lost to bad teams, but every team, yes even the Dodgers and Astros, have series like that during the long 162 game season.

59 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not seeing 80 in the loss column is awesome. It’s only one win but 83-79 looks better than 82-80. 

When you get into the 70's for losses, mentally you can talk yourself into thinking your team is right on the edge of winning 90 games. A 72 loss season means you're a 90 win team assuming 162 games played. 

1 hour ago, jdwilde1 said:

McKenna is not in the same group with Odor and Nevin. McKenna is a useful bench player because he provides plus defense and base running, and can play all the OF positions. He also has pronounced splits against over his professional career (excluding 2021) so he can be matched up against LHP. Odor and Nevin do not belong on the MLB roster. 

But... he can't hit. I'd rather sign or trade for an outfielder with an OPS above  800 who can push Hays into McKenna's role. 

25 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

When you get into the 70's for losses, mentally you can talk yourself into thinking your team is right on the edge of winning 90 games. A 72 loss season means you're a 90 win team assuming 162 games played. 

Now think of all the winnable games we lost. We could have easily been 5 games better, 88-74

One way to look at it is that we were three runs away from making the playoffs. We lost opening day 2-1 to Tampa and then we lost to them in extra innings on July 27. If we score two more runs on opening day and one more run in the first nine innings of that extra inning loss, we make the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

This season is exactly what they needed going forward to build confidence. Getting into the "playoffs" (wc game) to be one and done would not do much. It's better for them to be hungry next year, to get into the playoffs and go deep in it.

They don't have the one and done anymore. I believe it's a 3 game series now.

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

Tampa finished the season going 8-17 so even good teams can have bad stretches.  People are going to focus on the games we lost to bad teams, but every team, yes even the Dodgers and Astros, have series like that during the long 162 game season.

Tampa’s nosedive to close the season only makes me feel worse about the way our season ended. Despite our putrid offense the last month, we only finished 3 games behind Tampa. What coulda been…