Elias with LaCanfora

vab

8 hours ago, Hallas said:

So trading for Ohtani is still in the cards....

Elias makes the point over and over that the O's do not have the money that the Yanks have.   

Ohtani will make 30M next year and he is two seasons away from free agency.  Doesn't sound like a fit.

Edited by wildcard

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

Elias makes the point over and over that the O's do not have the money that the Yanks have.   

Ohtani will make 30M next year and he is two seasons away from free agency.  Doesn't sound like a fit.

He will make 30 million and if he stays healthy will produce like 80 million in surplus value.  With no reason to think he won't stay healthy I think trading 3 or 4 of our top remaining prospects is totally worth it even if he doesnt sign an extension.

I know it's a bit of a pipe dream but I legitimately think that we can both offer the best prospect package for Ohtani and he would help our team more than almost any other combination of moves, for a comparable dollar cost.

Edited by Hallas

6 hours ago, Hallas said:

He will make 30 million and if he stays healthy will produce like 80 million in surplus value.  With no reason to think he won't stay healthy I think trading 3 or 4 of our top remaining prospects is totally worth it even if he doesnt sign an extension.

I know it's a bit of a pipe dream but I legitimately think that we can both offer the best prospect package for Ohtani and he would help our team more than almost any other combination of moves, for a comparable dollar cost.

Then the O's could be just as good as the Angels because they also have the best player in baseball, Mike Trout.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Then the O's could be just as good as the Angels because they also have the best player in baseball, Mike Trout.

The difference is that the O's are an 80-83 win team without Ohtani.  The Angels without Trout and Ohtani are probably worse than the 2018-2019 Orioles.

I'm fairly confident that we can get him without trading Henderson or Rodriguez and still have far and away the best package to offer, and still have a top 5-7 farm afterwards.  On top of that, trading for him gives us the flexibility to trade one of Santander, Mountcastle, or Hays. (My vote would be for Hays unless we have reason to think his speed and outfield range is going to come back.)

22 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Hall's value is more if teams view him as a starter so Elias has no reason to ay he views Hall as a reliever whether he does or not.

Hall could very well be part of a trade for an established pitcher this offseason.

I haven’t given up on Hall but when you see tons of guys who are starters, like Kirby last night, coming into games pumping 98-99 you wonder if Hall’s stuff is overrated.  And yea I know that Kirby is an excellent young pitcher.  My point is that Hall was promoted as a guy that would touch 100 in the majors as a starter and he wasn’t really even doing it as a reliever.  

On 10/8/2022 at 8:08 AM, Tony-OH said:

Hall's value is more if teams view him as a starter so Elias has no reason to ay he views Hall as a reliever whether he does or not.

Hall could very well be part of a trade for an established pitcher this offseason.

Have you adjusted your projection for him as a starter or do you believe it’s just a likelihood they trade him for established pitching? I still see him as a starter with starter stuff.

5 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Have you adjusted your projection for him as a starter or do you believe it’s just a likelihood they trade him for established pitching? I still see him as a starter with starter stuff.

I think he's going to end up either a 5 inning starter or high impact reliever. I would include him in a trade if it meant getting an established top of the rotation starter with at least two years of control if the deal would not get it done without him.

• Thanks 1

I listened to this interview today.  If anyone else wants to hear it: https://www.audacy.com/1057thefan/authors/inside-access-with-jason-la-canfora-ken-weinman  (scroll down to Oct. 6).

To quote what he said about Grayson Rodriguez: “he’s put himself in a position to where a spot on this team is almost his to lose.”   That’s much stronger than what Elias said last spring.  That’s at about the 12:30 mark.  

Towards the 18 minute mark, Elias basically was asked what role the front office has in making out the lineups.   He was pretty clear that the FO provides analytic tools that help guide the decisions, but the decisions are made by Hyde, based on his knowledge of what’s going on with the team, etc.

Also, on DL Hall, he said one reason they put him in the pen was they felt he was getting tired towards the end of the year.  He said that a 97 mph fastball from a reliever may seem pretty good, but Hall is a guy who can touch 100 even as a starter.  He was very happy with the experience Hall got at the end of the year but it’s quite clear they see him as a starter.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 3